R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-16-2003, 06:16 PM   #16
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to icon

paul:

you miss my point. both kyosho and the serpent have laid down servos. but look at how they are positioned relative to the "linkage simulation" over the radio plate. the actual servo horn on the servo is on the outside of the kyosho car with the body of the servo closer to the midline. the serpent has the servo horn facing towards the gastank, but notice how half of the servo sticks out of the 950 upper plate.
icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 07:42 PM   #17
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by icon
paul:

you miss my point. both kyosho and the serpent have laid down servos. but look at how they are positioned relative to the "linkage simulation" over the radio plate. the actual servo horn on the servo is on the outside of the kyosho car with the body of the servo closer to the midline. the serpent has the servo horn facing towards the gastank, but notice how half of the servo sticks out of the 950 upper plate.
hey my friend, in the last post that I quoted you, I'm answering about your reply that you said that the Kyosho it's more easy to adjust the trotle linkage , cuz the servo horn is facing to the outside of the car, besides the 950 have the servo facing toward the gas tank!! Of course I see the difference betewn them one is a 950R King Cobra and the other is a Kyosho !! that's why the servos aren't in the same place!!

[email protected]!
paulfitipauldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 08:14 PM   #18
Tech Addict

paul:

i see. but kyosho's servo placement looks closer to midline than serpent's. it would be nice if serpent used kyosho's placement than their current design. personally i still prefer a regular 950 if i had the cash to run 1/8.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:43 AM   #19
Tech Regular

icon,

Actually, if you take a close look at the Kyosho, the Servo is still sticking out from under the radio plate; furthermore, if the Kyosho were to take a hit on that side, the servo horn is totally exposed(not to mention Josh's Rx). It might be harder to adjust, but I'd rather have the servo horn inboard... After all, we all can't drive like Josh Cyrul!
TurnNBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 09:42 AM   #20
Tech Addict

if either designs takes a hit on the side the servo is gone. but lets assume it only manages to do minimum damage. you can replace the top servo gears and even the upper case etc on the kyosho. but if the underside of the servo is exposed like serpent's then the servo motor or electronic board risks getting destroyed in a hit and you definitely need a new servo.

btw, the kyosho's top sticks out a bit, but still not as far as serpents. its hard to see in the picture but the logic makes sense. if the servo horn is on the inside, there is dead space to allow the servo horn to work properly. if the servo horn is on the outside, then more of the servo casing (and bulk of servo wt) is on the inside. you can also see how far the servo sticks out in relation to the steering servo (assuming serpent and kyosho have similar placement of their steering servo).

you are right about that rx placement on the kyosho. very exposed in case of a crash. its a give and take i guess. easier to reach for electronics and servo adjustment on the kyosho. more protected rx position for serpent (but a little too close to the exhaust).

I still like the regular 950 more . BTW, anyone know if this new kyosho will be available soon?

P.S. is that kyosho using serpent shocks, LoL .

Last edited by icon; 09-17-2003 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:28 PM   #21
Tech Prophet

Quote:
btw, the kyosho's top sticks out a bit, but still not as far as serpents. its hard to see in the picture but the logic makes sense. if the servo horn is on the inside, there is dead space to allow the servo horn to work properly. if the servo horn is on the outside, then more of the servo casing (and bulk of servo wt) is on the inside. you can also see how far the servo sticks out in relation to the steering servo (assuming serpent and kyosho have similar placement of their steering servo).
Ummm, your argument does have some logic... That is quite right if the car takes a direct hit from the right side to the throttle servo. However, that is always not the case. What if the car was in a mild accident? Just a mild brush against the curb or another car? Wouldn't an expose servo horn on the outside make it more vulnerable to linkage failure than if the servo horn and linkage was positioned on the inside? I would think that could be Serpent's logic for doing what they did to the 950R...

Last edited by InitialD; 09-17-2003 at 08:37 PM.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 08:31 PM   #22
Tech Prophet

Last edited by InitialD; 09-17-2003 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:21 PM   #23
Tech Addict

initial D:

like i said on my first paragraph . assuming a milder collision, if the impact had enough force to damage today's aluminum servo horn and/or the aluminum outputshaft on top of the servo, then i'm going to assume the impact also has enough force to crack the plastic case of the servo's underside, thus damaging the electronic board or worst yet the motor in the servo.

either way it doesnt look good. but since we can safely say that if someone did get T-Boned the throttle/brake servo is gonna get damaged or destroyed regardless of position, so why not make the servo horn easier to access like kyosho's car and put the bulk of the servo's weight closer to the center line.

a better thought would be to use a higher-powered, low-profile servo like a futaba S9550 in serpent's design and add a plastic shield or case around the outside to protect it. low cg that is also closer to midline but with room to add some protection around it.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:39 PM   #24
Tech Prophet

Quote:
a better thought would be to use a higher-powered, low-profile servo like a futaba S9550 in serpent's design and add a plastic shield or case around the outside to protect it. low cg that is also closer to midline but with room to add some protection around it.
Indeed a good idea ! Ummm, I would think a low profile servo would make installation of the throttle servo position move more towards the centerline on the 950R but on the Kyosho, the position would remain the same with no improvements towards the centerline regardless of the low profile servo. Food for thought...
Old 09-17-2003, 11:38 PM   #25
Tech Addict

you can still make some gains on the kyosho if you move the servo position and mounts back more with the low profiles. but then you'll have to redo the servo link to the new upper throttle linkages and also you definitely cannot fit a standard servo anymore.

just more food for thought .

just to comment on other things, i really like the 950's gas tank and RX placement. they seem to compliment each other well instead of having the ugly lopsided tank like the vector nt and mrx-3.

ps glad to have a good discussion with you initial d. btw, that is my favourite comic/manga series at the moment
Old 09-18-2003, 12:11 AM   #26
Tech Prophet

Quote:
but then you'll have to redo the servo link to the new upper throttle linkages and also you definitely cannot fit a standard servo anymore.
Yup, correct.

Quote:
ps glad to have a good discussion with you initial d. btw, that is my favourite comic/manga series at the moment
I have made this confession once and I'll say it again... I have not seen any of those series before ! I'll try to watch some before somebody ask me more questions about the Japanese anime !
Old 09-18-2003, 01:10 PM   #27
Tech Addict

LoL, so far its up to 7 books in the english version. the art work is "ok" but what stands out is the overall feel of the series. havent read anything quite like it as far as comics goes.

With the introduction of the 950R, will the regular 950 be discontinued .
Old 09-18-2003, 02:09 PM   #28
Tech Regular

Most likely, but probably not right away. In addition, standard 950 parts will probably still be available for a while anyway. Besides, you'll be able to upgrade a 950 to an R anyway, so it won't be like you're being left out in the cold .
TurnNBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 05:36 PM   #29
Tech Addict

i dont have an 1/8th scale yet. i got out of 1/10 tourers and started collecting vintage kits. now i want a runner again and trying to decide between an electric f201 or an 1/8th.

if i was to get an 1/8th, i'd really like a regular serpent 950 with the new front suspension and bulkheads w/adjustable belt tension.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:00 PM   #30
Tech Regular

Serpent should leave the chrome screws to Traxxas, lol.
Old Skool is offline   Reply With Quote