R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-15-2003, 09:36 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Traveling on plane with Nitro Cars

Anyone have any advice/tips for airline travel with nitro cars.

Do you bring your cars on the plane, check them, security tips?

Thanks in advance for the info.
treky11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 10:05 AM   #2
Tech Master

My honest suggestion would be to get an alloy case with lined inside for protection to hold everything in secure (tie down car and radio, etc). Dont carry fuel. This case will have to go into baggage area on plane.

It can be rather expensive to fly to a meeting. I heard a rumour that it cost Mark Green around $6000 for just his R/C stuff when going from the UK to Australia for the 1:8th On-Road WC a couple years ago.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 10:07 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kreidel

I would Fed Ex them ahead.
kreidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 02:26 PM   #4
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to eddiethefish
Default Re: Traveling on plane with Nitro Cars

Quote:
Originally posted by treky11
Anyone have any advice/tips for airline travel with nitro cars.

Do you bring your cars on the plane, check them, security tips?

Thanks in advance for the info.
Get a nice Samsonite carry-on, it will fit the 1/10 car and radio. Bring just the tools you commonly use, leave the starterbox, fuel, and wife home.
eddiethefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 05:07 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Traveling on plane with Nitro Cars

Quote:
Originally posted by eddiethefish
Get a nice Samsonite carry-on, it will fit the 1/10 car and radio. Bring just the tools you commonly use, leave the starterbox, fuel, and wife home.
What about mother-in-law? You didn't list her on left items. In carry on?
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 05:12 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

I think what treky and myself are looking for is some experiances you guys have recently had going to races with Rc stuff....

We're getting differnt views from everyone...The airlines,airport security,etc...

Basically, we're being told to carry the cars,sans tires and bodies,with the transmitter,onto the plane with carry on....

We want to know if ANY of you have travelled to race...
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 05:15 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by fastharry
I think what treky and myself are looking for is some experiances you guys have recently had going to races with Rc stuff....

We're getting differnt views from everyone...The airlines,airport security,etc...

Basically, we're being told to carry the cars,sans tires and bodies,with the transmitter,onto the plane with carry on....

Sorry, didn't want to! Just wanted to ad some juce,
I didn't travel here in US on race, so no info. I did go to Australia in March for vacation, wasn't too tight.
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 05:17 PM   #8
Tech Master

Quote:

Seriously, I was told that the car and the radio would be just what I need to run my car in Japan, Thailand, Hong Kong. And that exactly what I do. As I will be there for a short time, people would not mind to lend tools. With a great personality, r/c hobbyist always help each other out. Also, many tracks there provide starterbox and have mechanics readily to assist your needs.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:20 PM   #9
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

If you're travelling domestically, use FedEx or UPS to get your equipment around. It's a bit more costly, but it's the best way.

If you try to take tools with you, for example, be prepared for the airline security to dump the entire contents of your toolbox out, sift through it all, and then throw it back into the box in no particular order. Anything with any sort of a blade on it will be discarded, as well as batteries in some instances, and possibly traction compounds, glues and any other odd substance.

If you need to travel and race, go with FedEx/UPS. There's no other good solution.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:22 PM   #10
Tech Master

Quote:

Besides, running the car in Japan is way different than in the States. Many tracks in Japan do provide childcare/child center where one can leave kid(s) while one runs the car. Talking about food? Cafeteria is nearby. After running? A warm shower is a common practice.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:29 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:
Originally posted by futureal
If you're travelling domestically, use FedEx or UPS to get your equipment around. It's a bit more costly, but it's the best way.

If you try to take tools with you, for example, be prepared for the airline security to dump the entire contents of your toolbox out, sift through it all, and then throw it back into the box in no particular order. Anything with any sort of a blade on it will be discarded, as well as batteries in some instances, and possibly traction compounds, glues and any other odd substance.

If you need to travel and race, go with FedEx/UPS. There's no other good solution.

we ckecked with UPS..there are pick up stations we could use.

The problem is,we want to leave sun night....and no one is open to drop off the stuff to get back home..
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 05:36 PM   #12
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by eddiethefish
Besides, running the car in Japan is way different than in the States. Many tracks in Japan do provide childcare/child center where one can leave kid(s) while one runs the car. Talking about food? Cafeteria is nearby. After running? A warm shower is a common practice.
WOW!

Awsome!
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 05:39 PM   #13
Tech Master

I know all I am carrying in February is my transmittor. Need it as I use stick type instead of trigger/wheel. The car and everything else will be prepared in the US and I will be buying a 75mhz module and receiver for racing.

But if you want to take everything with you like items Futureal mentioned would be not allowed I believe you have to pay extra to have everythings stored in special metal containers as per Formula 1. I know this is the case if you are taking your own special blend fuel.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 05:47 PM   #14
Tech Master

Last time I did it I used a clamshell type case for golf clubs. I happened to have one already. I put 2 cars, all my spare parts, bodies starter box, charger and some tools in it. Then I used packing peanuts to fill the small amount of extra space. It even had wheels on it. Worked great. I carried on my tool box and radio.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 12:22 AM   #15
Tech Adept

At the snowbird nationals this last year one of the racers shipped all of his stuff via UPS to the race. UPS lost all of his stuff and he was not able to race. I have traveled to roughly 15 races in the last 6 years, every time I have checked all my cars and equpiment. I take everything except fuel and car cleaner.
JPHRacer is offline   Reply With Quote