R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-15-2008, 02:02 PM   #151
Tech Initiate

Default Just wanted to say thank you-

to all the Greater LA crew. Great to see everyone and a fantastic race and cause. I apologize for not sticking around to break the track down- had to catch a flight.

Cheers!

Devlin
Old 12-15-2008, 04:28 PM   #152
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Congrats on your sedan win Walter....
Old 12-16-2008, 06:35 AM   #153
Tech Adept

Default 08 TFT a Success!!

Congrats Glenn!
The program this year was a success. Thanks to all the guys who assisted, the layout was awesome! I think, it was the best all year, Technical and fast!
the tire wear was not issue anymore. C Verano, BT, Danny A ,Starks and etc..the block dragging, the never ending support is paying off..we club members thank you and for all the guys who are in the background pitching in with your support. We ended the year with a great TFT race! Special Thanks to Jesse Beltran for your unending support and generosity, you are amongst the people who keep this hobby alive in So Cal. We had a great race program this year! Thanks for the guys from Texas (Scotty Barrera), Tofflemire, Devlin from Washignton, Guys from Nevada and Oregon, for taking the trip to So Cal. I think we had some guys from No CAl too..We had a tonful of Sponsors to give thanks who were there..I'll leave it up to you Glenn.
ps..you hand counted Big Tone too fast, I know got second..just kidding
morook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:51 AM   #154
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by morook View Post

Congrats Glenn!
The program this year was a success. Thanks to all the guys who assisted, the layout was awesome! I think, it was the best all year, Technical and fast!
the tire wear was not issue anymore. C Verano, BT, Danny A ,Starks and etc..the block dragging, the never ending support is paying off..we club members thank you and for all the guys who are in the background pitching in with your support. We ended the year with a great TFT race! Special Thanks to Jesse Beltran for your unending support and generosity, you are amongst the people who keep this hobby alive in So Cal. We had a great race program this year! Thanks for the guys from Texas (Scotty Barrera), Tofflemire, Devlin from Washignton, Guys from Nevada and Oregon, for taking the trip to So Cal. I think we had some guys from No CAl too..We had a tonful of Sponsors to give thanks who were there..I'll leave it up to you Glenn.
ps..you hand counted Big Tone too fast, I know got second..just kidding
+1 !!!! Great job, Glenn and all the crew.
sandfan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:16 AM   #155
Tech Initiate

Does Greater LA have a web site? I can't find it anywhere...
Old 12-16-2008, 10:21 AM   #156
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

maybe I can keep up with walter on the straightaway now... lmao

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:32 PM   #157
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Big thank you to Glenn and the crew that built the track. I hope we collected a bunch of toys and make some kids happy.

Congrats to Scotty Barrera for TQ'ing and winning the 1/8th class with his Motonica P8.0R. We had a total of 4 Motonica cars at the race, and 3 of them made the A main. Our cars worked great on Saturday when the traction was good and still worked great on Sunday when the traction was ludicrous. I want to mention Mark Klenin drove a smart race in the B main and was there at the end to take a bump up spot, putting the third Motonica in the main. I think this is Mark's first A main finish at one of our bigger events, and it was well deserved.

I also want to mention Don Miyamoto drove great all weekend, even leading the B main for a while; his misfortune with an engine flameout was Mark's lucky break. It was good seeing Jeff Devlin (I don't think the GLARCRC website is up anymore) pick up where he left off years ago in 1/5. It's great seeing guys from out of state traveling all the way here to race. It's a reminder of just how good we have it here in SoCal with 2 tracks in town and 2 more within 4 hour drives.

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:57 PM   #158
Tech Fanatic

We had a real good time this past weekend and G.L.A.R.C.R.C. would like to thank the following sponsors for their support

Contrast Racing
V-Speed
Serpent America
Beltran Hobbies
R/C World Magazine
Associated
Ko Propo
YB Slow
Upgrade R/C

And of course the racers...we got a GANG of toys to donate to the LAFD and that's what it's about. Cheif Hill was more pleased than ever. You guys supported despite the biting cold and rain. U are truly the "REAL RACERS"

The layout was awesome...best it's ever been, tyre wear is a thing of the past and from what I am hearing, looks like the racing community is really gonna join us in Febuary. G.L.A.R.C.R.C. will continue to address the needs and suggestions of the racers to make your racing experience hassle free and fun!!

We are already hard at work on proposed events for next year, here are some of the races we are working on besides our normal club events

1/5 scale Nationals (WITH 1/8 G.T. RUBBER TYRES)
O'Donnell Championships
Kyosho Championships
2009 RCX Gas Challenge
G.L.A.R.C.R.C. Freeway Series
1st Annual G.L.A.R.C.R.C. Summer Jam R/C Championships and Custom Car/Motorcycle Show

Looking forward to a great season of racing in 2009, I will post the results and some pics from the TFT later this week, the event will also be in R/C World Magazine upcoming issue. Have a great Holiday and a safe New Year and we will see you in Febuary 2009. Our complete schedule for the year will be posted in January.

G.L.A.R.C.R.C.

Last edited by gwilli2001us; 12-18-2008 at 10:55 AM.
gwilli2001us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:10 PM   #159
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilli2001us View Post
We had a real good time this past weekend and G.L.A.R.C.R.C. would like to thank the following sponsors for their support

Contrast Racing
V-Speed
Serpent America
Beltran Hobbies
R/C World Magazine
Associated
Ko Propo
YB Slow
Upgrade R/C

And of course the racers...we got a GANG of toys to donate to the LAFD and that's what it's about. Cheif Hill was more pleased than ever. You guys supported despite the biting cold and rain. U are truly the "REAL RACERS"

The layout was awesome...best it's ever been, tyre wear is a thing of the past and from what I am hearing, looks like the racing community is really gonna join us in Febuary. G.L.A.R.C.R.C. will continue to address the needs and suggestions of the racers to make your racing experience hassle free and fun!!

We are already hard at work on proposed events for next year, here are some of the races we are working on besides our normal club events

1/5 scale Nationals (WITH 1/8 G.T. RUBBER TYRES)
O'Donnell Championships
KO Propo Championships
Kyosho Championships
2009 RCX Gas Challenge
G.L.A.R.C.R.C. Freeway Series
1st Annual G.L.A.R.C.R.C. Summer Jam R/C Championships and Custom Car/Motorcycle Show

Looking forward to a great season of racing in 2009, I will post the results and some pics from the TFT later this week, the event will also be in R/C World Magazine upcoming issue. Have a great Holiday and a safe New Year and we will see you in Febuary 2009. Our complete schedule for the year will be posted in January.

G.L.A.R.C.R.C.
Glenn you have a pm

Brian Thomas
Old 12-21-2008, 05:58 PM   #160
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default A little late...

Just wanted to say thanks to all who came out to the race last weekend especially the out of towners. I was tied up with other things and have not had a chance to jump on the computer and write up something. Thanks to Brian, Chris, Brian N., Glen, Rodger, Dave S. and Tony Shimko for coming out to assemble the track on Thursday night. I think overall the race weekend went pretty well. We brought together a bunch of toys for some kids and that was the main goal. We should all be proud of that.

On behalf of GLA and those who setup the track, our apologies for the weather over the weekend and loose track conditions on Saturdy after the rains came. We had shot the track with MMR, which is a water based solution. The track looked to have good grip before the rain came, unfortunately the rain thinned out what MMR had been sprayed and by the time the track had dried there was not any time to reshoot the track. Since it was expected to be cold on Sunday morning, it was decided to respray the track on Sunday with a VHT/methanol blend since the methanol would dry more quickly than the MMR. Due to time constraints, only one thin coat of VHT was sprayed and hopefully that was good enough for everyone.

I think there was only one computer glitch on Sunday otherwise the races ran smoothly. Congradulations to the race winners. It was nice to see Scotty come out. I have known Scotty about 20 years now and he has always been fast.

And Thanks to all who have come out to help setup the track on late weeknights or early Saturday mornings this year. Setup is alot of work and we should work together to have more participation next year. A shout out Glen who has been pulling the track out to the transit center all year and then putting it back in storage every race weekend.

Looking forward to next season I would like to see a points race series including Crystal and GLA next year. We'll see. Wishing you all a cheerful holiday season and healthy next year.

See you at the races.

Danny

Last edited by Danny A.; 12-21-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Danny A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:30 PM   #161
Tech Initiate

For what it's worth...

Race impressions after a 7 year hiatus.

My good friend Alan Trump has been after me for years to race 1/5th scale again. I had a light attempt back in '07, with.....less than desired results. Never the less, it was great to see some of my old friends and customers at that event. This one was much the same, but with many more familiar faces and better results.

I have to hand it to Greater LA and most importantly to Mr. Williams. I'd hate to think of what would happen to the great club without him. Cheers to you!

Anyway, arrived on a very early flight Friday morning with the weather in question for the entire weekend. Picked up my rent-a-racer from Alan and headed to the track. Outside of a few "lighter colored" hairs, everyone looked much the same as they did back in 2001.

The Track-

Great layout especially for 1/5th. Awesome braking zone at the end of the straight and a nice flowing infield. Hhhhhhhowever, there was that dreaded concrete island at the entrance to the sweeper prior to the straight that proved to be a "parts consumer" for all scales. Ehhhh, just add's some danger to the track.

After an hour or so of shaking hands and fitting the new shell to the rent-a racer, I ventured out onto the track. A bit nervous and shaky at first, but it started to come back like riding a bike.

For those reading this that don't know me- I was a bit involved with 1/5th scale and it's origins back in the 90's. The cars today, are close to what we had when I departed back in 2001 with the exception of the ability to get the power down and a huge amount of set-up configurations... Meaning, that they have become,,,,,,,,well, complex.

I was a little surprised to see a race that once had great numbers of 1/5th drivers down to the current level, but the sport overall has increased in numbers around North America, so I have to assume that much of it is just the simple ebb/flow of R/C sports in general. What first intrigued me about starting 1/5th scale here still holds true today with a vengance... The fact that the f'ing things run for 30 minutes on a tank of gas and only require the simple tug on a pull cord to fire to life is unbeatable.

Tires, tires, tires...

As always, R/C seems to come down to tire selection and this race was no different. The 1's on all corners worked great and only took a small amount of heating to get up to speed with a tolerable amount of wear, but in a last minute change based 1/2 on my past experience and the other on a "guess" of contemporary compound's, I decided to run with the "new" 3's on all 4. Not too shabby. It took a while to come up to speed, wear was a bit better than the 1's and you had to realllllllly push them to see any sign of overheating. The car overall was quite stable to a fault, and was very consistent showing a best lap time .5 second slower than the race winner Frank Killam's single best lap. As I understand it, Frank was running on 4 wheel 3's as well.

So, my setup in the end:

FG Comp something-er-other

Front:

Caster- moved upper arm to mid position (never measured and can't remember the spec's on what MM that is)
Front Bar- slightly more than mid setting (again, never measured the bar)
Camber- 0
Toe- 3/16 inch toe-out measured from the inside of the rims. (best I can do with the tools I had)
Ride Height- 9-10mm
Up Travel Stop (droop)- 14mm
Down Travel- no stop...
Ackerman- Hubs mounted on inner forward hole and servo saver mounted on forward outer hole.
Roll Center- Top A-Arm upper position.

Rear:

Camber- near zero
Toe- 1/2 way in on the forward 3014 body mount. (don't remember the mm's)
Bar- Slightly less than 1/2 to 1/2.
Ride Height- 8mm
Up Travel- 16mm
Down Travel- ground..
Differential- Alan? FG Standard 800 plate diff???
Gearing- never looked. Alan?

Results:

3rd. Consistent car, but “consistently slow” in order to win the race. Capable of 2nd, but driver error seemed to prove more,,,,,,,,,well, you get the point.

Final thoughts:

1/5th is truly a "kings sport". They may not be the fastest or made from 100% carbon impregnated plastics by some fancy name, but the sure move and are just as easy to use and maintain as ever..

Oh, I was asked at least 50 times what I thought of the cars “now” VS "then". Hard to say... Back in the day (2001), there wasn't a car in North America that could touch Eric Vasutin, Frank Killam and I as we prepared for the 1st World's. The cars were quick, predictable, and amazing. I wonder who wound up with my World's car... Memory these days...

Random Pic:
Vasutin working on some body work..

What plagued us back then was the ability to get out of the corner quickly. This still haunts 1/5th, but Frank obviously figured it out this weekend. Hat's off to the TFT winner- Mr. Killam for a fantastic drive. There is so much more to do with the diff technology on these cars…

Tires, I can't say have changed a whole lot. Wear may have come down, but they feel nearly the same as they did back then and motors have certainly improved but not to the degree that I have heard. Victor Garcia with VSpeed tuned the motor that I ran and it was fast, made time, and wasn't out gunned by anyone. As always, if you can't lay the power down, it doesn't matter the HP- but if you can, then VSpeed’s got it covered.

I would have liked another day with the car. The bars are now so much more effective and responsive along with the diff and roll centers. Surely with a bit more testing, the car would have gone at least the .5 best lap time needed or better. Funny how some things change and others not.

I have to say, that I admire this guy's taste in colors:

So, till next time my friends- keep the shinny side up and rubber down.

Merry Christmas All! We all made a lot of kid's Christmas merry with this event!

Alan Trump on his way to winning the F1 class:

F1's Winners!:

Alan and I (no he's not stoned):

Old 12-22-2008, 09:23 PM   #162
Tech Regular

Hey Jeff!
Nice pics and report!
Too bad I was not able to attend....
Are you going to be back out soon???
I hope to see you out!

Ray Takahashi
ABC HOBBY USA
MONSTER ENERGY DRINKS
ray0221flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:00 AM   #163
Tech Initiate

Hey Ray,

You never know. I had a great time.

I forgot a few more set-up details-

Shocks:

Front- Short Red Progressive springs, with oil that Alan had. Alan?
Rear- Orange Balloon Spring w/3000 oil

Shock Mount- Front was standard per evolution version on Alan's car and rear outboard was in the 3rd up hole and I don't recall what position. Alan?
Old 12-26-2008, 11:40 PM   #164
Tech Fanatic

Great pics Mr. Devlin, here are the race results, I will post the pics as we get them. This event was also covered by RC World Mag, look for it in the near future!!

G.W.

G.L.A.R.C.R.C. 20th ANNUAL TOYS FOR TOTS 12-14-2008

Best Heat Lap/Time for 1/5 F-1:
Bob Sarnelle with 13/5:19.06

-- 1/5 F-1 - A Main --
Pos Car Laps time name
1 4 69 30:22.60 Alan Trump
2 1 64 30:10.73 Bob Sarnelle
3 3 46 21:08.22 Dave Bellenger
4 2 10 4:03.42 Victor Garcia

Best Heat Lap/Time for 1/5 STC:
Frank Killam with 14/5:11.40

-- 1/5 STC - B Main --
Pos Car Laps time name
1 1 13 5:22.63 Dave Bellinger
2 3 1 5:29.46 Ken Watkins

-- 1/5 STC - A Main --
Pos Car Laps time name
1 6 82 30:06.53 Frank Killam
2 4 81 30:14.87 Eric Poholsky
3 5 80 30:21.73 Jeff Devlin
4 8 78 30:06.04 Sumio Takahashi
5 9 73 30:08.49 Eric Vasutin
6 7 72 30:13.18 Rory Lacson
7 1 65 24:39.06 Shaw Takahashi
8 3 60 22:37.96 Victor Garcia
9 11 33 22:22.58 Dave Bellinger
10 2 10 3:51.15 Michael Palazzola
11 10 1 0:12.63 Robert Walsh
-- 12 --- DNS --- Ken Watkins

Best Heat Lap/Time for R/C SUPERBIKE:
Eric Poholsky with 9/5:02.29

-- R/C SUPERBIKE - A Main --
Pos Car Laps time name
1 7 19 10:52.61 Eric Poholsky
2 8 18 10:04.72 LARRRY Dy
3 2 18 10:20.30 Lito Reyes
4 5 13 10:46.05 Jimmy Louis Jr.
5 9 10 8:13.86 matt bell
6 3 8 9:36.90 Dwayne Lawler
-- 6 --- DNS --- Gil Losi Jr.
-- 1 --- DNS --- julian reyes

Best Heat Lap/Time for 1/10 Sedan Nitro:
Brian Thomas with 15/5:03.15

-- 1/10 Sedan Nitro - B Main --
Pos Car Laps time name
1 5 55 20:00.79 Eugene Osborne
2 1 54 20:04.65 James J
3 2 46 20:02.94 Jacques
4 10 39 20:03.53 Dwayne Lawler
-- 3 --- DNS --- Mike Losi
-- 4 --- DNS --- Glenn Williams

-- 1/10 Sedan Nitro - A Main --
Pos Car Laps time name
1 7 94 30:16.30 walter diaz
2 5 92 30:01.99 Brian Thomas
3 3 92 30:05.34 brad toffelmire
4 1 91 30:11.68 Steve Jackson
5 9 88 30:10.78 Norbert Yap
6 4 85 30:18.54 Joel J
7 10 82 29:50.23 DON CEZAR
8 11 82 30:20.47 Eugene Osborne
9 8 81 29:29.03 Jerry Rapp
10 6 69 30:05.99 Ike Gent
11 2 61 22:44.34 Michael Palazolla
12 12 12 4:13.56 James J

Best Heat Lap/Time for 1/8 4WD:
Scotty Bararra with 17/5:12.05

-- 1/8 4WD - D Main --
Pos Car Laps time name
1 5 33 10:10.95 Michael Palazzola
2 6 32 10:05.20 Tony Thompson
3 7 32 10:15.14 Vincent Lim
4 2 30 10:06.07 Tony Shimko
5 3 29 10:01.17 Arno Mardirossian

-- 1/8 4WD - C Main --
Pos Car Laps time name
1 11 47 15:07.35 Michael Palazzola
2 6 44 15:01.48 Joel Esquire
3 8 44 15:10.68 Hovik Minasyan
4 5 28 10:16.65 William Pendegrass
5 2 18 13:34.57 Mike Papac
6 7 10 3:56.24 Earl Forthun
7 4 7 2:27.61 Brent Klenin
8 10 7 3:13.11 Doug Vandecaveye
-- 1 --- DNS --- Clinton Frazier
-- 9 --- DNS --- RICK WEST
-- 3 --- DNS --- Glenn Williams

-- 1/8 4WD - B Main --
Pos Car Laps time name
1 11 64 20:00.71 Michael Palazzola
2 10 61 20:03.47 Mark Klenin
3 3 61 20:09.83 Don Miyamoto
4 4 61 20:15.19 Raphael Ayala
5 8 59 20:09.24 Brad Rasmussen
6 6 55 20:07.86 Joe Papac
7 1 51 20:10.71 Nelson Walker
8 5 44 15:20.82 Bob Edelberg
9 12 44 15:34.08 Tony Thompson
10 2 17 5:56.39 brian nakahara
11 7 10 2:53.26 Steve Jackson
-- 9 --- DNS --- Chris Ibarra

-- 1/8 4WD - A Main --
Pos Car Laps time name
1 9 102 30:06.71 Scotty Bararra
2 4 100 30:04.18 walter diaz
3 1 100 30:05.05 danny alvarado
4 11 100 30:14.46 Michael Palazzola
5 5 95 29:43.13 Jonathan Prather
6 2 79 30:17.34 JESSE BELTRAN
7 10 53 16:05.17 Garen Hagobian
8 6 47 22:02.76 Tony Clark
9 7 34 13:40.57 Joel J
10 12 23 7:39.11 Mark Klenin
11 3 1 0:10.81 Chris Verano
-- 8 --- DNS --- Reuben Serrano

Best Heat Lap/Time for 1/8 GT/STC:
brian thomas with 15/5:15.64

-- 1/8 GT/STC - A Main --
Pos Car Laps time name
1 6 85 30:21.32 brian thomas
2 8 78 30:09.10 Eugene Osburn
3 1 77 30:06.45 Dave Starks
4 2 61 25:18.37 Lito Reyes
5 4 16 18:39.41 Nelson Walker
6 9 8 3:28.36 Steve Bernardi
gwilli2001us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:13 PM   #165
Tech Rookie

Default Short Race!

That must have been the shortest race ever for me! (that I started) 12 seconds! LOL!

Thanks, Glenn for all of your effort!

Happy New Year to All!

See you in Feb..

Robert
Robert Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote