R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-22-2003, 07:50 AM   #196
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to MrChan

Quote:
Originally posted by coolracing
why would they want him ?
Don't be serious !! .. We were talking and joking about Surikarn.

Last edited by MrChan; 09-23-2003 at 01:59 AM.
MrChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 07:56 AM   #197
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to MrChan

Quote:
Originally posted by coolracing
Mr Chan,

did Surikan win any big gas event(s) ?
I think he won 1/8 international race in Thailand before . I'm not too sure.
MrChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 08:23 AM   #198
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to slowhand

Quote:
Originally posted by MrChan
Don't be serious !! .. We was talking and joking about Surikarn.

I think he won 1/8 international race in Thailand before . I'm not too sure.
Indeed, we were all just kidding..please do not take it so seriously ...

MrChan: Surikarn never won any major / big GP races before there's never been a "true" international GP race in Thailand ever since the Worlds 1995 in Phuket. And Surikarn was not there (still in his 2 sabbatical years). Of course, there's always been one or two 'international GP' races in Thailand every year. But they are mainly only attended by our friendly neighbouring countries such as Hong Kong, Indonesia, Singapore or if we're lucky one or two Japanese driver would come and pay a visit etc. For sure, this doesn't count as a true International event. Surely we don't want to compare this with higher level competition such as those in the Western countries
slowhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 09:20 AM   #199
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to suntok2 Send a message via AIM to suntok2 Send a message via Yahoo to suntok2
Default About engine

Guys let us talk about engine. what will hapen to nova rossi? Do you think sirio will be people choice or sirio collari
suntok2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 10:15 AM   #200
Tech Adept

Congrats to SIRIO! It's great to have another brand other than Nova winning such a prestigiuous event. Nova has been there for too long. So, it's great for the hobby n for the rc industry. But I'd still buy only Nova derived engines as Sirio still have problems with their products. Of course, those guys at the Worlds get special engines, specifically prepared for them for the factory drivers only.. At that level, any engine is (I think) as good. But as in any business, RC is also driven by marketing. So, let's see ...
Nova will certainly not disappear into thin air ... but Sirio has such a strong popular drivers (US, Europe, Japan) and utilise their image to win some market. For sure, there would be more people wanting to 'try' the Sirio. I think it really depends on the local level marketing/ distribution. How well the local distributor can push wich products better into the market.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:46 AM   #201
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to suntok2 Send a message via AIM to suntok2 Send a message via Yahoo to suntok2
Default slowhand

Well you are right but think of these that sirio is a new engine and they already win championship in a short time unlike OS and Picco they already exist long time aGO. And I already both one in our hobbyshop. Wow the price is good but I will run my engine tomorrow and see if the engine is really fast
suntok2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 10:57 AM   #202
Tech Master

Default Re: slowhand

Quote:
Originally posted by suntok2
Well you are right but think of these that sirio is a new engine and they already win championship in a short time unlike OS and Picco they already exist long time aGO[/IMG]
Picco were winning championships way back in the 80's/90's. And they still are currently winning championships. I believe Barry Baker used a Picco to win the 200mm Winter Nats this year and the McCoy race last year?

They have also won several other National Championships at all levels in different countries.

The problem is they got a bad name in the 90's and people are not willing to trust that they have cured the problem now.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 01:40 PM   #203
Tech Addict

Modellor,
I agree with you. And not to mention that OS engines have never really been designed for onroad racing. Well they were back in the day but you take a factory Sirio and a factory OS and I will bet you that you will have less problems and longer life out of your OS. The sirio's are poorly manufactured. They leave composite shavings all in there engines. The carbs suck and there connection rods are weak. You can not compare the engines that they run at the world to engines that you can buy from your local hobby shop. The engines they use at World events are half the time prototypes.

Anyway I would really like to see some more pics without having to pay a membership at the Starting Grid or what ever that site was.
BallPy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 06:54 PM   #204
PMT
Tech Apprentice

Just some quick comments about the engines used at the worlds. The Sirio engines that powered Josh's car for the TQ as well as Collari and most of the other Sirio powered drivers in the finals were the Collari Modified Sirio's. These are available on a limited basis and can be bought in the stores. As a matter of fact Darrin Ishitani used this engine to TQ the McCoy and beat the lap record by 1/2 a second. Look at the pictures of the cars but if you see gold heads on the Sirio engines then you know that they are Collari Modified.
PMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 09:17 PM   #205
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to alana07

Quote:
Originally posted by slowhand
BTW, Surikarn is not really new to 1:8. He participated a previous IFMAR once before this year, in 1993 in Sweden when he was only 12 years old. Then he was looking impressive at the Pre-World in his country, in 1994 in Phuket, where he finished 3rd behind M. Salven and S. Grant. However, he refrained (for some reasons) from all RC activities for the following 2 years, right after the Pre World finished. He made a comeback and was doing only EP touring , until he got the World Champion in S. Africa, then he started racing GP locally.
You might want to check the race news section at www.tq-racing.com ...you can find race reports, Surikarn had been attending.
cheers...
was surikarn driving a BMT back then during 1993 and during the pre-worlds in phuket?
Old 09-22-2003, 09:25 PM   #206
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by alana07
was surikarn driving a BMT back then during 1993 and during the pre-worlds in phuket?
If I am not mistaken ...Serpent Excel. I have a picture of his in Sweden, but no pics about the cars..
Old 09-22-2003, 09:31 PM   #207
Tech Adept

Quote:
If I am not mistaken ...Serpent Excel. I have a picture of his in Sweden, but no pics about the cars..
Old 09-22-2003, 09:36 PM   #208
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to alana07

Quote:
Originally posted by slowhand
thanks for the info, slowhand. back then i remember there's a very young thai kid who's driving a bmt and doing very well.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:59 PM   #209
Tech Adept

Quote:
Old 09-22-2003, 10:09 PM   #210
Tech Adept

Quote: