R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-21-2003, 07:29 AM   #136
Tech Apprentice

Steve erkels famous words,"DID I DO THAT". Didn't want to ruffle anyone feathers.What I meant was that I doubt serpent would lose business if races were covered better even if they didn't do well.Most of us know that any of the top racers would win know matter what they drive.Its funny that no one mentioned anything about me slamming mugens web Serpent owners are so sensitive

By the way mytsn and serpent is a great site and product.Where I live I doubt I would of gotten into this hobby as much as I have
alvinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 07:54 AM   #137
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

Quote:
Originally posted by alvinm
Steve erkels famous words,"DID I DO THAT". Didn't want to ruffle anyone feathers.What I meant was that I doubt serpent would lose business if races were covered better even if they didn't do well.Most of us know that any of the top racers would win know matter what they drive.Its funny that no one mentioned anything about me slamming mugens web Serpent owners are so sensitive

By the way mytsn and serpent is a great site and product.Where I live I doubt I would of gotten into this hobby as much as I have
Oops, didn't see you slamming Mugen!! Man, leave those guys alone!!!

It's a shame, though that Mugen and Kyosho don't provide more service on their websites - Serpent guys can pickup setups from all the top guys and top races. It's normally possible to get a setup for a lot of local tracks in my area from mytsn. Isn't the best Mugen site even run by a guy who isn't a Mugen employee? www.mrx3.com - at least it is possible to find some interesting stuff there. For the Kyosho, it is even difficult to find info about the car. I was looking on there main website and it wasn't easy to find some info there.

A lot still comes down to what the guys at the local track a driving - here it is a pretty even split between Serpent and Mugen, with the odd Picco thrown in - not too many Kyosho, though, which judging from the performace of the car is unusual!! Is this simply down to poor website support???
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 08:11 AM   #138
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Josh was fast at the start and pushed to hard to stay in front of Ralph,perhaps if he had'nt kept short cutting the track in warm up and avoiding the pit shaded area he could have run harder.Ralph had a great run going,very fast very consistent,however he backed it into a board at the end of the same pit straight and his problems compounded from there,he finished the race in first gear.Collari never put a wheel wrong all week and fully deserved the win,other than minor curb touches his main was perfect.Ielasi ran strong at the start and appeared to be losing power on the front straight but just sucked it up and ran with it,clean run.Shimo just had a great run ,very fast with only minor problems allowing him to be in the right place at the right time.Great race essentially over at the midpoint
trashcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 08:36 AM   #139
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Bobby Flack

Not to get too involved in who is better than who....but I just got my first 1/8 car and the decision of which one to get was based on the ability to get information from their site. The other company's don't have anything like mytsn.

So their website sold at least one car!
Bobby Flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 08:53 AM   #140
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Flack
Not to get too involved in who is better than who....but I just got my first 1/8 car and the decision of which one to get was based on the ability to get information from their site. The other company's don't have anything like mytsn.

So their website sold at least one car!
I think this is the case for many people - like I said in a previous posting, it is a shame that other manufacturers don't see the potential of this medium - mytsn creates real interest for serpent drivers, especially for the owners of Serpent cars - this probably explains the loyalty to the brand from their customers.
As for the whose-car-is-the-best, it's all a bit childish - whoever won the last race had the best combination and deserved the win! They rule the roost until the next race where anything can happen.
On the other hand, on a manufacturer level, this is great for the customer, as they are all pushing to create the best car. This may actually lead to quicker updates or in other words quicker outdating of current models - which conversely may/is not be so good for the customers.

trashcar: I've seen Ielasi race a couple of times and he is a superb driver - an asset for any team who has him. But until now I've never seen Collari race - I'll be looking out for him next year on the European circuit.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 09-21-2003, 09:05 AM   #141
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Bobby Flack

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
I think this is the case for many people - like I said in a previous posting, it is a shame that other manufacturers don't see the potential of this medium - mytsn creates real interest for serpent drivers, especially for the owners of Serpent cars - this probably explains the loyalty to the brand from their customers.
As for the whose-car-is-the-best, it's all a bit childish - whoever won the last race had the best combination and deserved the win! They rule the roost until the next race where anything can happen.

Cheers, Mark.
Yep, that is exactly what I mean.

I work in the Dodge/Mopar Motorsports program, I have been trying to get the Mopar guys to use something like mytsn as an additional advertising/marketing tool.

Quite simply..it works!
Bobby Flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 09:29 AM   #142
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Flack
Yep, that is exactly what I mean.

I work in the Dodge/Mopar Motorsports program, I have been trying to get the Mopar guys to use something like mytsn as an additional advertising/marketing tool.

Quite simply..it works!
I was a photographer on the European F1, F3000 and F3 scene and it was really difficult to get the teams to setup websites for their fans - it has all changed now. But the main limitation I met was simply that there was no one in the respective companies who had the necessary expertise. Maybe this is the case with the RC manufacturers...they should really waken up to this one, though!

You're absolutely right, when a manufacturer really puts the effort in, it works and can work big time!!!

Cheers, Mark.
Old 09-21-2003, 09:33 AM   #143
Tech Master

I dont care which car I run. I dont pick a car by whether it is dominating constantly or by it having a great site. Those are not important to me. My view for a car dominating is that the guy is the best in the world at his level so that doesnt tell me the car is the best. As for site importance. It can be an advantage to have a site full of info but most of that info and set ups are no use to the average racer. Many people could put the set up from a World Champion on their car and end up going nowhere because they cant drive his style.

To me the important thing is to look at the club level and see which car seems to be providing the best potential to the average racers. If it is popular at club level and not running like a brick on wheels or falling apart with minor crashes then I would consider it first.

Just my 2c.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 10:07 AM   #144
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to picco007 Send a message via Yahoo to picco007
Default Collari wins the worlds.

Good job Kyosho......
picco007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 11:35 AM   #145
Tech Adept

how cool is that to have an 1/10 electric touring car world champion driving an 1/8 gas car in the a-main for this year world championship? Surikarn proof that he's one of the best driver in the world...this is his second time participating in a 1/8 gas w.championship. His first time was when he's only 11 or 12 years old...
juki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 11:52 AM   #146
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by modellor
Many people could put the set up from a World Champion on their car and end up going nowhere because they cant drive his style.
That is true. However, having access to good information is one thing... But whatever that translates to the recipient of that knowledge or how he uses and relates to it is another matter. At least you have good information in front of you to evaluate, try out and consider. Good information must be there in the first place.

Also agree on the observation of a car in the real flesh at the trackside. Nothing is better than that.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 12:58 PM   #147
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Congratulations Kyosho/Collari/Sirio

Congratulations Kyosho/Collari/Sirio

Instead of rambling on about who should or should not be there (and their respective sites) we should take our hats off to Collari and Kyosho on winning this years worlds, that ius WORLD CHAMPIONS.

The worlds are a culmination of two years development (and more) and if a team wins it should be noticed for what it truly is which is (damn) hard work by whoever does it.

Collari ranks alongside Masami as the kings of RC for the last 15 years and this must make him the greatest driver in 1/8 IC history (that he was already anyway). The talk about being number 1 until the next meeting is a point but do all the top racers compete at every meeting and do they try as hard as the worlds??? When did Collari last race in the US??

Kyosho has helped (on its own way) to grow IC as a brand and have us all racing nitro since the mid-late nineties. While their website is surely lacking behind others (is it really???) they are still this years champions and that is great credit to the design team.

Sirio have shown they have the power to beat all the others. (still happy with my Novarossi)

I may have to get the flame suit on for this post but for them it should be worth it, they have the bragging rights for ther next two years :-)

Kyosho, about time the sucess in off road filtered through.
Collari, Keep it coming.
Sirio, another Italian exotic :-)
renjie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 01:01 PM   #148
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

speaking of champions.....het renjie...

how ya liking the R40?...
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 02:55 PM   #149
Tech Elite

Default Re: Congratulations Kyosho/Collari/Sirio

Quote:
Originally posted by renjie
Congratulations Kyosho/Collari/Sirio

Instead of rambling on about who should or should not be there (and their respective sites) we should take our hats off to Collari and Kyosho on winning this years worlds, that ius WORLD CHAMPIONS.

The worlds are a culmination of two years development (and more) and if a team wins it should be noticed for what it truly is which is (damn) hard work by whoever does it.

Collari ranks alongside Masami as the kings of RC for the last 15 years and this must make him the greatest driver in 1/8 IC history (that he was already anyway). The talk about being number 1 until the next meeting is a point but do all the top racers compete at every meeting and do they try as hard as the worlds??? When did Collari last race in the US??

Kyosho has helped (on its own way) to grow IC as a brand and have us all racing nitro since the mid-late nineties. While their website is surely lacking behind others (is it really???) they are still this years champions and that is great credit to the design team.

Sirio have shown they have the power to beat all the others. (still happy with my Novarossi)

I may have to get the flame suit on for this post but for them it should be worth it, they have the bragging rights for ther next two years :-)

Kyosho, about time the sucess in off road filtered through.
Collari, Keep it coming.
Sirio, another Italian exotic :-)
This is very true - the Kyosho guys did an excellent job at the worlds, they and Collari fully deserve the win.

The comment about the website was spun off from comments about support for the customers and was not meant to reflect on the ability of the car or team. I simply think that if Kyosho and to a lesser extent Mugen followed the Serpent example with the website support it would probably help the two manufacturers to sell more cars. It certainly would provide a nice central base of information for people wanting to know more about the car.

Wouldn't it be great if 1/8th racing had a world series like Formula 1 - lots of races in different countries with all the top drivers fighting it out! I doubt there is the money in RC to be able to finance this though.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 09-21-2003, 04:25 PM   #150
Tech Addict

I posted a report on the Final over at the Starting Grid site. Just go to the conferences, then to the SGRID7 Conference, and read item #64. That's where the rest of the updates, pictures, and everything else can be found.

Here's a summary of what's written so far:

A VERY brief summary of the race - Josh Cyrul was off like a shot, and seemed to be pulling away or holding his own against a hard charging Ralph Burch who was maybe 30 feet behind, until Josh bumped a board in front of the stand and Ralph got by. Ralph then seemed to dominate the race, pulling away from everybody, building up a nice lead. Josh was using a different engine than the one he TQ'd with, and this one was barely good for 4:30, even though it was fast. Running out of fuel killed Josh's chances, first for winning, and later on, even for being up near the top. Lamberto Collari followed roughly six seconds behind Ralph. Daniele Ielasi followed a little behind Collari, driving very smoothly and keeping a constant gap between himself and Collari.

Surikarn Chaidasuriya was amazing! One by one he worked his way up to the top, and at one point was ready to pass Daniele for second, when his engine let go. From then on Surikarn had engine problems for the rest of the event. So, the race continued with Ralph leading, Collari in second, Oliver Mack in third, and the rest of the field fighting for the remainder.

About 25 minutes in, there was a wreck on the back straight, and Ralph had to slow down for it. Collari, who had been following with a steady six-second gap, suddenly was only two seconds behind Ralph. Ralph's tires were pretty worn down by this time, Collari closed in, and the two cars tangled. Ralph's car got spun out. Ralph's shock may have been damaged - Ralph said his car never handled the same after this. Collari continued to pull away, increasing his lead. Several minutes later, Ralph's shock broke, and Ralph's car spun into the boards. Ralph's team replaced the shock with one from a show car on a display table.

Forty five minutes in, Ralph's engine let go, and Ralph was out. Oliver Mack was holding onto a solid third place finish, when his engine let go. That's how the race finished, with Collari winning his sixth World Championship, Ielasi taking second, and Takaaki Shimo taking third.

A full report with lots more detail, lots of photos, and a listing of each driver's car, engine, tires, radio, fuel, etc., will be posted on the Starting Grid site on Tuesday, when I get a better Internet Connection.
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote