R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-11-2008, 04:48 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default Anyone Racing The Serpent F-180 In Any Area???

Im just wondering if that class ever got off the ground??? i havent heard much about it since it was realesed i rember the price tag on it was hell and i dunno if that had anything to do with the lack of interest but anyways im just wondering is there anyone here racing them OR have them racing at your local track???
Old 09-12-2008, 07:30 PM   #2
Tech Master

So ill take that as a no???
Old 09-13-2008, 06:57 AM   #3
Tech Elite

I have heard of the occasional car being around. I want to get one of these cars too. But I'm put off by the lack of them around.

Have you tried the Serpent web site?
I take it your looking at running the car in the U.S ?

Let us know if you find anything. I had almost given up on having this car.
Do you actually have one?
Where are you based?

British Menace
Old 09-13-2008, 07:23 AM   #4
Tech Regular

My buddys got one,Ive seen another one,dont know whos it is,but I believe they might have ran there cars at the same.Close to a race I have ever seen.I think that cars more a collectible than a racecar.Buy a touring car or eighth scale if you wanna run nitro on-road.
intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:28 AM   #5
Tech Regular

If your in Miami you should come check out the tracks in Tampa,we got some good places to race.Look in the Florida racing thread under Adrenaline which is smaller track all electric,or SS Speedway which is big mostly nitro,some electric.Both tracks have a brand new ,not even year old surface, stand and lcs.
intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:43 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default one great car not for the weak!!

Yes,we have been racing them at SS speedway and put a lot of r&d into them and now we have the right set up and engine change to run just as fast of laps the 1/8th should be at first get rid of the .28 and put an on road .21 also ditch the rubber but go with the tires just for this car,we have a couple of hobbies web sites that have all your F180 needs just pm me for any help you may need last thing this is a drivers car not for a beginner being 2wd with lots of power on the rear wheels you will get a lot of bad feed back from people that can't drive unless it's 4wd to get them around the track
kmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:45 AM   #7
Tech Master

Also utube has lots of races to check out to see just what can be done with the right hook-up
Old 09-13-2008, 09:40 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You are not going to see many of these cars in the US being raced because they are so darn expensive. There are several RTR 1/5th scales that you can get cheaper. Don't get me wrong, they are cool cars and I would like to have one and race it, but, I think Serpent kind of missed the mark with this one (should have been a 1/10th scaler with a reasonable street price).
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:47 AM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IO40vv-MFE

These guys seem to get around pretty good!
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:09 AM   #10
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
You are not going to see many of these cars in the US being raced because they are so darn expensive. There are several RTR 1/5th scales that you can get cheaper. Don't get me wrong, they are cool cars and I would like to have one and race it, but, I think Serpent kind of missed the mark with this one (should have been a 1/10th scaler with a reasonable street price).
Very good point but you get what you pay for on this one they cut no corners on this the machine work alone is worth the price you really have to look at one in hand pic can't tell the story it's like F1 vs nascar not taking any thing away from the round trackers but ferrari - ford you make it fast but it's still a ford craftmanship cost money ( hpi - nt1 ) if your worried about cost it's not the kit for you.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:56 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmichael View Post
Very good point but you get what you pay for on this one they cut no corners on this the machine work alone is worth the price you really have to look at one in hand pic can't tell the story it's like F1 vs nascar not taking any thing away from the round trackers but ferrari - ford you make it fast but it's still a ford craftmanship cost money ( hpi - nt1 ) if your worried about cost it's not the kit for you.
No arguments on the craftsmanship of the car. There is a guy in my area that bought one and I saw what he had assembled of it (about 50%). Fit and finish was perfect. Just wished they made it as a 1/10th scale so that we would not have that Thunder Tiger POS F-1 car (which is an insult to the r/c world).
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 06:03 AM   #12
Tech Master

How true,I guess that's another reason I'm so taken with the kit,thanks for your good views shows a real racer maybe we'll get to race together one day got to go F1 starting
Old 09-14-2008, 11:16 PM   #13
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace View Post
I have heard of the occasional car being around. I want to get one of these cars too. But I'm put off by the lack of them around.

Have you tried the Serpent web site?
I take it your looking at running the car in the U.S ?

Let us know if you find anything. I had almost given up on having this car.
Do you actually have one?
Where are you based?

British Menace

Ive seen the videos on youtube and lately ive bein intersted, im in no way shape or forum a NEWBIE when it comes to the F-180 being im in Miami,FL the got here before anywhere else in the USA, at the time the car was released i was working at a LHS and we where one of the first to reciver the F180 i think we had number 5 in the serpent series, this was when the only made the KIT version with no radio no servos BUT did include motor and pipe. The car itself was sweet looking AND one of the other guys worknig at the shop actually built it to RTR specs to sell it. To the guy that sayed the car was worth the craftmanships YES IT IS, the car is CNC'D the full chassis and is one single peice the car was SEROUSLY SICK LOOKING, my only complains about the car was the price and the car the motor was not meshable, the only way to change gearing was to chance pinion and spur at the same time.

About the wheels we new the stocker tires sucked just by the feel of the rubber, we did figure out when we still have the car in stock that the tires could be changed with the 1/8 scale wheels with alittle truing off the rims.

The car we had at the shop only lasted us a WEEK we posted in ebay and turns out the guy that bought it was in the UK and with that i was never able to see one again, i always stayed interested in the car but was never willing to buy one untill the price dropped since with the money i could almost buy a FG 5th scale, and i figured others where on the same pages as me.........i was jsut curouse to see if the class ever took off the ground or not i guess for the most part it really didnt

anyone else got any info on where there racing these cars, ive seen alot of youtube videos but still there isnt much attention to the car as i was hopeing, im em thinking about geting one but only as a collection peice since i know for a fact down in my local track (miami homestead speed way) no is running them

What at the going prices for them now?? in KIT forum?? i havent kept up with knowing prices on alot of things since the shop i worked at was taken over by a new guy about 7 months ago and i stoped working
Old 09-15-2008, 07:56 PM   #14
Tech Master

We're racing them at SS speedway here in tampa,and ashford hobbies & borders have been there for parts,been setting up to run a 6 month point series to start in december or january, #5 is really one of the first I see now I thought my #239 was low for the USA good to know we got a jump on the ones that are over seas,sounds a little silly but I was even impressed with the key ring.The 2 tracks in this plan are SS & the Port when they get back on track knock on wood,love the Port if the fort is not ready Kississimmi is close also,check SS web site to see some pics of us running

Last edited by kmichael; 09-20-2008 at 06:09 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:49 PM   #15
Tech Addict

If you're interested in a box of Serpent Vector wheels/tires that fit this car, send me an email - mikem @ rc-racing.com. I've got a bunch of new tires, and would like to sell the whole box for a reasonable price.
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote