R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-07-2008, 05:27 PM   #1
Tech Regular
 
meronr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oradell NJ
Posts: 476
Default Need Some Help Please!!!

I am running my .12 rb motor and every time I get to half a tank the motor shuts down....Its not running hot, temped it and its at 250F. I am also running it rich right now, there's absolutely no carbon build up on the piston...The motor had about 3/4 of a gallon, maybe a little more through it
__________________
Meron Rubinowitsch
meronr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:37 PM   #2
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Moreno Valley, Ca.
Posts: 1,937
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to motojon
Default

try checking the fuel tank for air leaks or if cacked around the seems
motojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:40 PM   #3
Tech Regular
 
meronr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oradell NJ
Posts: 476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojon View Post
try checking the fuel tank for air leaks or if cacked around the seems
yeah i was thinking the same thing but i did replace the tank once already and the motor doesnt seem to idle up when it gets to half a tank, anyway to check the tank for a air leak...Maybe I have to replace the tank again, if yes that SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
Meron Rubinowitsch
meronr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:21 PM   #4
Tech Regular
 
meronr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oradell NJ
Posts: 476
Default

bump
__________________
Meron Rubinowitsch
meronr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:15 AM   #5
Tech Master
 
freestyles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,118
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meronr View Post
yeah i was thinking the same thing but i did replace the tank once already and the motor doesnt seem to idle up when it gets to half a tank, anyway to check the tank for a air leak...Maybe I have to replace the tank again, if yes that SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!
As your fuel runs out it actually leans the motor out a bit aswell so maybe your to lean to start with and as the fuel gets lower it might be starving the motor of the most important thing.........fuel. I'm probably wrong but it's just a thought
__________________
This public service announcement was brought to you by the letter "B" and the number "9". Thanks for watching.
freestyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:43 AM   #6
Tech Regular
 
meronr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oradell NJ
Posts: 476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyles View Post
As your fuel runs out it actually leans the motor out a bit aswell so maybe your to lean to start with and as the fuel gets lower it might be starving the motor of the most important thing.........fuel. I'm probably wrong but it's just a thought
I dont think I'm lean to begin with the needles are still pretty much at factory settings 2.25 turns out on the low and nearly five turns out on the high.
__________________
Meron Rubinowitsch
meronr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:08 AM   #7
Tech Regular
 
RayJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 445
Default

Definately check the fuel lines and tank again. Bring the car in when you start to notice the "half tank" problems. More than likely you will see bubbles in the fuel line close to the carb inlet. It really sounds like your tank is leaking. It's likely leaking at the tank cap. Take the fuel tank out. Plug the fuel line from the tank to the carb. Attach an air compressor to the pressure line to the tank and set the compressor to about 10 lbs to 15 lbs air pressure. If the tank leaks at all...the tank is history. The other problem that may present is a clogged fuel filter. Fill the tank with fuel or alcohol and blow through the pressure line. The fuel should flow out of the fuel line very easily and with little "blow" pressure.
RayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:06 PM   #8
Tech Regular
 
meronr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oradell NJ
Posts: 476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJ View Post
Definately check the fuel lines and tank again. Bring the car in when you start to notice the "half tank" problems. More than likely you will see bubbles in the fuel line close to the carb inlet. It really sounds like your tank is leaking. It's likely leaking at the tank cap. Take the fuel tank out. Plug the fuel line from the tank to the carb. Attach an air compressor to the pressure line to the tank and set the compressor to about 10 lbs to 15 lbs air pressure. If the tank leaks at all...the tank is history. The other problem that may present is a clogged fuel filter. Fill the tank with fuel or alcohol and blow through the pressure line. The fuel should flow out of the fuel line very easily and with little "blow" pressure.
thanks i'll give it a try
__________________
Meron Rubinowitsch
meronr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:51 PM   #9
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 4,148
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJ View Post
Definately check the fuel lines and tank again. Bring the car in when you start to notice the "half tank" problems. More than likely you will see bubbles in the fuel line close to the carb inlet. It really sounds like your tank is leaking. It's likely leaking at the tank cap. Take the fuel tank out. Plug the fuel line from the tank to the carb. Attach an air compressor to the pressure line to the tank and set the compressor to about 10 lbs to 15 lbs air pressure. If the tank leaks at all...the tank is history. The other problem that may present is a clogged fuel filter. Fill the tank with fuel or alcohol and blow through the pressure line. The fuel should flow out of the fuel line very easily and with little "blow" pressure.
Exactly how much "blow" pressure are we talking about here?
__________________
| Capricorn | Ybslow | Proline-Protoform | Johnny Bravo Racing | Desoto Racing | Murnan Modified | Matrix Tires | Powermaster Fuel |
Scott Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:29 PM   #10
Tech Regular
 
meronr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oradell NJ
Posts: 476
Default

well reluctantly installed my back up to the back up fuel tank and the problem has seemed to go away, so guess it was yet another bad gas tank....MAN THIS SUCKS........oh well at least the problem is resolved.....
__________________
Meron Rubinowitsch
meronr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:24 AM   #11
Tech Regular
 
RayJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher View Post
Exactly how much "blow" pressure are we talking about here?
Yeah I guess that came out pretty gay...
RayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:14 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net