R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-04-2008, 11:48 PM   #1
Tech Master

Default Experienced Nitro Racers...Need Opinions :)

Looking for opinions on solid on-road nitro kits. Been an electric loyalist, now looking to run in Nitro both onroad and offroad in the up coming year. for the on road, I'm Looking for opinions on good kits with great tech support and balanced performance...any help would be appreciated. Plan on making my alot of my weekends raced filled on dirt and asphalt.

Last edited by DJ919; 09-05-2008 at 04:13 AM.
DJ919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 05:29 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

If you are going nitro off road 1/8 then get a xray xb808, its simaler to a losi 8ight and about $100 more but the xrays plastics are better, after a year of running everything will still be as tight as new but the losi will be looser. If its an open nitro type class the go for xrays car again, xray is the best for almost everything.
rcjunky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:03 AM   #3
Tech Adept

in terms of purchasing a car i would recommend that you go to your local track see what cars are there ask lots of questions . see what car ismthe most previant. see whop is willing to give you the most help. in on road 1/8th stat with the serpent, mugan, kyosho, shepard, or montonica. these are the most consistant and they all work. check at the local hobby shp you go to to see what they carry. i dont care how good a car is it sucks to wait 3 days for parts. get the car you are able to get parts for out of your local hobby shop. check at your local track and see where they get there parts. in off road same thing just more cars to look at. xray, mugan,kyosho, jammin, associated, losi, hyper, etc. make sure you are able to buy partin your area.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:17 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

for 1/8 i would say the inferno gt2 i have one and love it,for 1/10th i habe to rs4's that i love and the price for them isnt bad
COPPERDRIFTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:37 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to spenzalii

1/10 nitro onroad you can't go wrong with Mugen, Xray, Kyosho or Serpent. See what the locals run and what your LHS keeps in stock. Each car has it's strengths and weaknesses, fanboys and naysayers. But you can win with any of them and tech support, either at the track or online, should be plentiful for all.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:23 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to motojon

for on-road starting out I would diffenetly try a gt type car I. they look cool and seem easy to work on. other than that I would go with Mugen its simple not too complex easy to work on
motojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:09 PM   #7
Tech Adept

I agree with New3. You might want to check out what other people are driving in your club and get the same. This will make sure you get help on settings and also spare parts, should you need them at the track.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:42 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ919 View Post
Looking for opinions on solid on-road nitro kits. Been an electric loyalist, now looking to run in Nitro both onroad and offroad in the up coming year. for the on road, I'm Looking for opinions on good kits with great tech support and balanced performance...any help would be appreciated. Plan on making my alot of my weekends raced filled on dirt and asphalt.

are you looking for 1/10 or 1/8 scale onroad?...touring sedan?...rubber tires or foams?....
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:32 AM   #9
Tech Master

Thanks for the info and advice fellas! Wow, RC-tech is the forum to belong to if you need information. Yeah, I'm looking into 10th for the on-road stuff. Rolling with 8th as far as off road. I've checked out the kits mentioned and all mention seem to be quality. Your postings are greatly appreciated fellas...Thanks!
DJ919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:34 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

hi the question is do you want to be competitive and win races or just for fun?and as you are new to niro 1/10 then at the end of the day just from experience it will take a while before you can drive a nitro car to its full potential and even then it will be hard, sure mugen, xray, kyosho,serpent,team magic all have great cars so it will come down to (not in any order):
1/ can I get parts before the next race day?make sure you have a number of suppliers as not all have stock
2/ are parts $$$$ (compare)
3/ what engine will I use? (very important)
4/check out when that car was last released as there may be a newmodel on the horizon
5/is support easily accessible for this car (who cars if no one races your car at your local track as long as you can get support ie rctech else where, plus I think this makes you learn your car more and you dont have to copy everyone elses setup get out and practise and get your own setup thats what I did.
6/dont rush into it research the cars
7/what upgrades are available?
8/what radio gear will be going in it some Rx are a tight fit
9/can i run a lipo rx easily will it fit with a regultor
some companies who build cars also make accessories like setup stations, starter boxes, etc etc you can keep it all to the one brand if you want.
I am not suggesting you get a TM car look at all your options but I did even thou no-one else had that brand at my track but through practise, a good tuned engine and the correct setup the results couldnt be better.
all the best
Cheers
XRAY*****PRO-LINE*****HUDY*****
-----FUTABA-----NOVAROSSI-----
aussies1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:04 AM   #11
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

You cant go wrong with a MTX-4R, there super tough compared to a electric car (all of the nitro on road cars are!) Driving them is super fun! But make sure you have parts support. And if alot of people use the car at your track, set ups are simple!

I swapped from electric TC to gas for turnout. And am loving it!
Old 09-06-2008, 07:02 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

also, a VERY important factor is to get the car from a company that is solvent financially.....

I would stay away from serpent, in all honesty.....
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote