R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-03-2008, 11:54 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Questions?? Manufacturer recalls

Just curious and wanting to hear on some outside opinions.

When a kit, engine, tires, etc... have a widespread common problem being reported by the consumers, shouldn't the manufacturer come forward and make it right? Shouldn't we hold them to a higher standard than we currently do? I see quite a few posts with complaints on issues with this or that kit, or with an engine issue but yet there is a lack of effort by the manufacturers to replace or correct the problem at no cost to the consumer.

I've only been racing competatively for about 3 years and in that time the only instance I have seen where the manufacturer stepped in and correctd a problem with one of their products was Orion. The first version Wasp .12 had a carb issue and Orion replaced the carb at little or no cost other than shipping. Why do we not see more of this?

When you put down $400 or $500 for a kit it should be engineered to work properly right out of the box, as long as you follow the proper assembly instructions. You shouldn't have to wait for the manufacturer to get wind of a widespread problem, have them correct it and then have to pay for a new batch of parts to replace the inferior ones that came with the kit. Am I the only one who sees it that way???

Just looking for other opinions out there,

Speyederjedi
Speyederjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

HPI has so far the best customer experience. they do not recall but if you have a problem, calling them and such can get you far.

I can't speak fro Mugen or Kyosho or Serpent. Althgough I do hear Kyosho has a bad customer serice reputation. Never owned a tamiya but haven't heard much of issues with them.

As for engines I do believe there should be some sort of better service with defective items, even racing engines. They know their product well enough to know someone truly abused it as opposed to say the ninja engines where everyone knew there was apparent issues!!

In this hobby there are too many ways for the manufacturers to get away with this, hence using customers as R&D for their products and then coming out with their new improved spec version. BS, it takes so many people to lose their minds before they come out with the new updated version of this and that.
SasonRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
Tech Regular

It's ashamed that we as consumers spend big $$$ to buy these products and when they aren't up to snuff the engineers go back to the drawing board, come up with a way to correct the problem and new replacement parts go out on the market. With the number of sponsored drivers out there shouldn't the manufacturers get it right before the products hit the shelves? Isn't that why they have team drivers, to do the R&D ahead of the product release to avoid any issues? You're right though. It does make it very easy for the manufacturers to get away with not doing recalls and we shouldn't make it that easy on them. Just my opinion.

Regards,
Speyederjedi
Old 09-03-2008, 01:00 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Recalls??? Why have recalls when they can sell "upgraded" kits, parts, motors, etc?
Wanabrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:04 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabrc View Post
Recalls??? Why have recalls when they can sell "upgraded" kits, parts, motors, etc?
I do believe thou art expressing a hint of sarcasm my dear sir. Nothing like having to buy "upgraded" parts due to the failure of the stock parts.

Wonder if the Jedi mind trick will work over the phone next time I have to discuss a "stock" part (failed part) vs an "upgraded" part (newly engineered not to fail). Maybe if I get sponsored I can go to the Dark Side. Just kidding to all you sponsored drivers out there, I commend you for having the focus and drive (no pun intended) in order to get sponsorship. Some of us little guys just get a bit frustated from time to time and we need to vent!!

Regards,
Speyederjedi
Old 09-03-2008, 02:57 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Associated has been very good with replacing faulty parts, one update kit included front upper and lower arms, metal brackets, longer screws and washers plus all the tanks that keep cracking on their RC8's. I know one racer with extensive experience with TM when their 8th scale offroad car came out, they worked with him and basically gave him 2-3 entirely different cars piece by piece until they got it right and I believe he only paid for a very small percentage of the gear he got from them. Some manufacturers care, but others seem to place faulty parts in the kit requiring you to upgrade them. Both sales tactics have their advantages and disadvantages as you can imagine.

https://ActivRC.com http://TeamPowersUSA.net https://www.1upracing.com/ http://TeamAssociated.com
Brian Bosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:05 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Upgrade parts is a market, people think they are better with such parts even if they are bad drivers. It is their choice to buy even if it is their fault to smash the car to all kind of objects and then think aluminium parts will hold better.

Indeed the lack of warranty on high priced engines is absurd. I have seen a lot like loose crankpins, to fast broken or worn out conrods, splitted cilinders, loose piston-clip at the first start etc. and the warranty handeling is always different.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:11 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Upgrade parts are different than design flaws. Take for instance the RC8 tank, 9 out of 10 racers have cracked 4-5 of them so there is a design flaw. TM had an equally horrible problem with their 8th scale offroad tanks. Then look at the Kyosho RRR EVO2 that has front dogbones that can pop out, that would be an upgrade item and not a design flaw although I feel Kyosho should have included them to be consistent with the rest of the high quality kit. Xray did the same thing with the dogbones at first, but now they include the front cvd's.

Orion's carb must have been a design flaw and they recognized it and did the right thing.

I will have to say I respect OS for standing behind the v-spec when it first came out because of the pure cost they had to put out for repairs, for a top of the line racing engine (for its time from them) they sent me two new engines, basically no questions asked. The one purchased failed, the one replaced failed, and the second one they sent failed so I finally gave up and sold the engine and won't run OS, but I still respect them.

https://ActivRC.com http://TeamPowersUSA.net https://www.1upracing.com/ http://TeamAssociated.com
Brian Bosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:27 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

How about recalls for electronic parts? example Tx, batteries, chargers?

Anybody come across that?