Wiki Posts
Search

Dilemma: HPI, Kyosho or ... ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 04:18 AM
Tech Adept

Default Dilemma: HPI, Kyosho or ... ???

I need some help!
i'm really new in the area of GP 1/10 onroad cars. heard and seen them at turf city and fell in love! i wan to get a kit! but my problem now is that i'm spoilt for choice! went to ebay to scour for bargains but didn't feel very confident in the condition of the cars. i've kinda narrowed my selection down to roughly 2-3 brands -
HPI Racing
Kyosho
and maybe, just maybe...
Mugen Seiki or Serpent

The latter two brands are really pricey for a noob.. as such i looked into HPI. was quite decided, car was fine, availability of parts.. yadayada but i realized that the EVO+ RTR kit came very, very simple! no camber, toe adjustments or universals..

The Kyosho FW-06 RTR kit on the other hand comes with the aforementioned, and it's cheaper then the HPI RTR! But i'm not too sure about the plastic chassis of the FW-06

I'm kinda looking at a relatively good RTR kit with capacity to grow in terms of speed and handling. Kindly highlight other brands that are better in your opinions too!

So RC bros, which should i choose?
Old 09-03-2008, 07:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You cant go wrong with the Kyosho, and take a look at the Team Magic G4S RTR kit. Both of these kits allow you room to grow and learn. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:13 AM
Tech Adept

thanks! but which kyosho model would you recommend?
Old 09-03-2008, 07:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Go with the FW-06! The FW-05 was a good car and I can only imagine how much better the 06 will be! I think that parts will be more readily available for the Kyosho car from a local hobby shop as opposed to the Team Magic car. Either way you cant go wrong!
Old 09-03-2008, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by enrique
I need some help!
i'm really new in the area of GP 1/10 onroad cars. heard and seen them at turf city and fell in love! i wan to get a kit! but my problem now is that i'm spoilt for choice! went to ebay to scour for bargains but didn't feel very confident in the condition of the cars. i've kinda narrowed my selection down to roughly 2-3 brands -
HPI Racing
Kyosho
and maybe, just maybe...
Mugen Seiki or Serpent

The latter two brands are really pricey for a noob.. as such i looked into HPI. was quite decided, car was fine, availability of parts.. yadayada but i realized that the EVO+ RTR kit came very, very simple! no camber, toe adjustments or universals..

The Kyosho FW-06 RTR kit on the other hand comes with the aforementioned, and it's cheaper then the HPI RTR! But i'm not too sure about the plastic chassis of the FW-06

I'm kinda looking at a relatively good RTR kit with capacity to grow in terms of speed and handling. Kindly highlight other brands that are better in your opinions too!

So RC bros, which should i choose?
If you did decide to go for a Team Magic G4 RTR kit. You can get all the parts you need from,

wolfhobbies.com
rcshopping.com

You would be able to build the car up into the full option WC kit if you so wished.
Wolf Hobbies is also the distributor here in the U.S so they could supply your local hobby shop with whatever they needed (or what you needed...lol)

You also get alot for your money with Team Magic.

Regards,
British Menace
Old 09-03-2008, 07:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

[QUOTE=enrique;4800935]thanks! but which kyosho model would you recommend?[/QUOTE

How much are you looking to spend? Like you I to got totally hyped when I first saw the 1/10 gas cars in action and went out and got a ready to run kit. A month later I got rid of it and got a real kit ( Mugen MTX 3 Prospec) and started racing at the local track. That was 3 years ago and if I had to do it all over I would skip on the ready to run.

If your planning on racing competitively then spend the extra $$$ and get a full race kit. I would recommend the RRR Evo 2 from Kyosho. I've run the Mugen MTX3 Prospec, Kyosho RRR WC, RRR EVO, Team Magic G4RS and now the RRR EVO 2. I have several friends that run the XRay NT1. Of all the kits mentioned it's been my experience that the Kyosho is the most reliable. The Team Magic G4RS has had a history of gear failure issues although I hear the new versions being put out have a correction to the problem. My buddies with the XRay NT1's seem to have gearing problems as well. I have never had gear problems with any of the Kyosho kits.

If your not looking to race then a RTR would be fun for kicking around a bit.

Just my opinion. Hope this helps in your decision.

Regards,
Speyederjedi
Old 09-03-2008, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It really comes down to three things: What do you plan to do, how important parts support is, and how much you want to spend.

If you want to race, and the race scene in your area is pretty good, you'll want a good kit from Kyosho, Mugen, Xray, Serpent or even Team Magic. Every car has it's good points and bad points, and their fair share of fanboys and naysayers. Figure out what's popular at the local track and what the LHS keeps in stock. If you don't mind getting parts online and waiting for them to ship, any car will work. If you prefer the instant gratification of walking out with what you need, choose by what is available in your area and you will be fine.

If you don't plan on racing, a RTR will be fine for running up and down the street and drag racing your buddies. HPI, Kyosho, Tamiya, Ofna and Team Magic make RTRs that aren't that expensive, and you can upgrade them with option parts as your needs grow. Again, decide if you don't mind ordering your parts or going to the shop and getting them. While you may get some parts cheaper online, you have to decide whether you want to wait to replace the part until the big brown truck arrives and have your car in pieces for a while or get it and fix it that day.

If you may get the racing bug at some point, narrow your choices to either the Kyosho FW-06 or the Team Magic RTR. Both cars are based on their racing kits and will handle the rigors of racing much better than the other RTRs mentioned. One knock on each: The Kyosho is a shaft drive car, one of the few available in 1/10 racing. Parts for it shouldn't be much of a problem, as the suspension is based on the RRR. But your choice of exhaust pipes and starter boxes will be slightly limited. On the Team Magic, parts support can be , shall we say, interesting. Your best bet will be shopping online for their parts.

That said, if you have your heart set on racing, you really would be better off spending the funds on one of the racing kits. The money and time you will spend upgrading the RTR to true race spec will end up being more than buying the race kit outright. In the end, though, it's about having fun without going bankrupt, so get what works for you.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:56 AM
Tech Adept

Wow thanks for the response guys! i felt that the kyosho was a slightly better choice over the RS4 Evo+ due to the degree of fine-tuning it affords on a RTR car. however, i'm quite concerned the plastic bottom chassis of the FW-06s. do you guys think it'll pose any issues?
Does anyone here own one? anything to take note off?
How about another RTR from kyosho?
i kinda noticed that the V-ONE SIII is cheaper then the FW-06 by $10 @ my LHS. which would be a better set?
thanks again!
Old 09-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Tech Adept

Wow thanks for the response guys! i felt that the kyosho was a slightly better choice over the RS4 Evo+ due to the degree of fine-tuning it affords on a RTR car. however, i'm quite concerned the plastic bottom chassis of the FW-06s. do you guys think it'll pose any issues?
i kinda noticed that the V-ONE SIII is cheaper then the FW-06 by $10 @ my LHS. which would be a better set?
thanks again!
Old 09-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi Enrique,

I have just dropped you a PM
Old 09-04-2008, 07:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by enrique
thanks again!
Not sure about a plastic chassis in a nitro car. I think it should be aluminum. If I had to choose between the two, I may lean slightly to the V1SIII, only because it may be easier to find drivetrain parts and another pipe if you smash it. However, if your LHS stocks parts for both, then go with whichever you like better. Compare both kits and make your choice from there. I think they both come with 2 speed trannys, but if it's an older kit, it may only have a single speed (I can't quite remember).