R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-06-2003, 09:00 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to 2mcgrath Send a message via Yahoo to 2mcgrath
Default help choosing a new onroad car

hello i have a few questions here i have a nitro 4 tec with a os 12cvrx in it very fun car very fast now with the os power.. just cant get great handling from the car.. i have tried different tires,installed swaybars,shock settings i have it working allright but not good enough.. so i am looking to buy another car i am gonna keep my 4 tec though because i like it and to me you cant have enough onroad cars.....ok now for the question i am looking for a good handling and pretty fast car this car will be used for parking lots only..my friend has a hpi rs4 3 ss..that he said he would sell me it seems to be a pretty good car but i was wondering should i keep the ss or should i try it alittle then sell for something else? it is totally hopped,but still has stock motor..i am looking for something with handling and speed for parking or bashing my friend is buying a hpi r40 which i assume will handle great but kinda looks to low to me for parking lots so any help? i would be thankfull which would make me a great handling and fast car thanks
2mcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 09:21 PM   #2
Tech Regular

the ss is a good car for parking lots. the shaft drive is great in that regard because of the rocks you typically encounter wont get stuck in your belts.

the r40 is designed to be a pro car and run on track, at the very least a well blown off parking lot. i wouldn't recommend it for parking lot bashing. (i own one myself, but its for the track)

if you get a good deal on the ss go for it. if not, see if you can find a used ntc3. its great car, shaft drive and realy easy to maintain.

whatever you do, make sure you have local parts support for the car you pick
treky11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 10:51 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Any HPI cars are great parking lot bashers!!
FAST1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 05:51 PM   #4
Tech Master

Save your money on the SS that was my first car and it ain't no race car. Get a NTC3 you will never regret it.
Number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 07:53 PM   #5
Tech Addict

thanks for the help he is gonna let me have the ss for 275 ready to go with all the stock parts and after market parts the chassis and everything on the car has benn changed
Old 09-07-2003, 09:03 PM   #6
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by 2mcgrath
thanks for the help he is gonna let me have the ss for 275 ready to go with all the stock parts and after market parts the chassis and everything on the car has benn changed
That still won't make it a race car. I bought every hop up in the book and it broke anytime someone looked at it.
Number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 05:49 AM   #7
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

What is the 4-tec doing that makes it handle badly? I have one and it handles great...

Try this setup... I also use 30mm foams instead of 26mm rubber...

FRONT, 80WT
REAR, 80WT
Shock piston: F, 2-hole R, 3-hole
Shock length: F, 66.5mm R, 67mm
Springs:
F, Traxxas black R, Traxxas black
Lower shock position:
F, Outer hole, R, Outer hole
Upper shock position:
R, Lower hole Caster/anti-squat F, 6
Camber: F, -0.5 -R, 1.5
Toe:F, 0.5 in R, 1.5 in
Swaybar: F, Position 2 R, Position 2
Steering-linkage position:
Outer holes on steering knuckle; outer hole on bellcrank
Rear camber-link position:
Lower inside hole on bulkhead; upper inside hole on hub.
vtl1180ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 09:32 AM   #8
Tech Regular

I have seen the SS run a lot. Its a good basher and is durable. I just saw 60 of them running at the hpi challenge and they were doing fine in stock class.

Besides, he said he is looking for a parking lot basher. I have to disagree with Number11 on this one as for durability.

I prefer the ntc3 myself but is more of a race car than a basher in my opinion.
treky11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 10:55 AM   #9
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Ah10 Send a message via AIM to Ah10 Send a message via Yahoo to Ah10
Default Re: help choosing a new onroad car

No offense and flame suit on!

I turely believe all kits in the market are very competitive, NTC3, MTX3, VoneR, 4tec and the list go on.........

I think the key is the set up to suit each individual driver and of course tire choice and such.

on the durability issue, they all have plastic arms and bulkheads, if you hit them hard they will break and which is the case that you want, breaking a-arms are much cheaper then bending the chassis. (IMHO, I would skip all the aluminum parts, but I would go for derlin stuff, they have tighter torlenance).

Just my $0.02
Ah10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 02:03 PM   #10
Tech Addict

thanks for all the help... i will try the settings on the 4 tec.. but i am looking to pick up another car also.. so i guess the ss is a good idea.. how good does the carbon fiber and graphite parts work as the ss im looking at has lots of it ...yeah like i say im gonna be running in parking lots just racing freinds is all the racing i will be doing..and is there anything i should do to it to make the handling great i mean like the setting it has the sway bars and all on the ss..oh and on my 4tec when i go into curves i need the back to slide some to make sharp curves hard.. but it will not do it..i have to brake some to get it sliding then i can come out of the curve but i have lost to much speed by this time..and once again thanks for the help
Old 09-08-2003, 03:18 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mckrooz

$275 seems a bit much even for a hopped up SS and stock motor. My vote goes for the NTC3 over the SS by a long shot.
mckrooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 12:27 AM   #12
Tech Addict

ok i bought the ss what are some good setups for this car for parking lot running like what sway bars etc..