R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-26-2008, 02:26 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Just got a FW-05rr / ZT1... what engine to use?

Hey everyone. First of all, i haven't been in the RC game for several years and it was only an electric buggy- so I'm a bit of a newb with the nitro on road. I picked up this car on ebay recently and got the itch again to start racing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123

Only problem is, I have no experience or clue as to which engine I should purchase. Can anyone recommend a good place to start? I'm assuming the fact that the car has the engine located on the opposite side won't hinder me from using any engines, I'm also assuming that I need a rear exhaust engine. Ive considered getting a new O.S. from tower hobby maybe? I'm guessing the .18 is cheaper than the .12 because they are heavier am i correct? I wouldnt mind getting a .18 if I could still be competitive, or would that added weight cause me to lose everytime against the people running .12? Again i'm clueless about all this so I'm just guessing, any advice or info would be great. Thanks!
MADaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:43 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to impalabob64
Thumbs up 12 Engine

Novarossi base engines will be the way to go ,or the RB line engines will work also,i use to run the Fw05r,many years ago good car, easy to work on too.
12plus3 for Novaroosi
RBR3 from the RbLine.Hope this helps.
impalabob64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:10 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADaul View Post
Hey everyone. First of all, i haven't been in the RC game for several years and it was only an electric buggy- so I'm a bit of a newb with the nitro on road. I picked up this car on ebay recently and got the itch again to start racing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123

Only problem is, I have no experience or clue as to which engine I should purchase. Can anyone recommend a good place to start? I'm assuming the fact that the car has the engine located on the opposite side won't hinder me from using any engines, I'm also assuming that I need a rear exhaust engine. Ive considered getting a new O.S. from tower hobby maybe? I'm guessing the .18 is cheaper than the .12 because they are heavier am i correct? I wouldnt mind getting a .18 if I could still be competitive, or would that added weight cause me to lose everytime against the people running .12? Again i'm clueless about all this so I'm just guessing, any advice or info would be great. Thanks!
Wish you would have came here before you bought the car. It's an older car, and for that price, too high. But too late for that now. Engine wise, the biggest question is budget, then are you racing, or bashing? Racing you need a legal .12 engine, otherwise any motor is fair game. Don't let the .12 size fool you, there are .12 size engines that'll straight blast by a .18 so from there its about budget again. How much are you willing to spend? and whats fast?
Baedarlboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:29 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to motojon

I know Picco has .12 for 200 bucks or less check out http://www.kamikazetoysandhobbies.com
motojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:16 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

Man did i really get a bad deal? I read in forums that people spent more than $800 to make the ZT1 conversion on a fw05 which is why I figured it was a good buy? I'm trying to figure out the engine situation still, how do people feel about the O.S.'s? I'm looking at the .12tz 5t in particular
Old 08-27-2008, 04:19 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

can anyone else give their opinion on whether or not i got a bad deal?
Old 08-27-2008, 04:30 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

It is a bad deal when you see other kits with engines/pipes/servos at the same price... Better kits...
Old 08-27-2008, 11:42 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
can anyone else give their opinion on whether or not i got a bad deal?

well.. just think of it this way.. if you really really really like to run a shaft-driven car, this is the car to go!!
OrAnGe PoWeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:41 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riketsu View Post
It is a bad deal when you see other kits with engines/pipes/servos at the same price... Better kits...

what are some examples?
Old 08-28-2008, 11:54 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

Quote:

what are some examples?
Seen many MTX-4R, 720, RRRs going for 300-350 with good engines, pipes and servos... Check the for sale section to see...
Old 08-29-2008, 06:10 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Well, Madaul...
Unfortunately the FW05RR is almost discontinued by Kyosho, mostly because belt driven cars are easier to drive than shaft driven cars, specially with nowadays engines that are very powerful.
See, shaft driven cars deliver power in a more abrupt way than shaft driven cars, and if you put a O.S. 12 Speed Tuned or a new Novarossi 353, Sirio Evo 4 or any other top .12 engine, the diffs are going to melt, wheel nuts will be flying off the wheels, dogbones will brake, the main shaft pin will come off, among other things...
But if you are just bashing, an O.S 12 TZ is enough and those problems mentioned before probably will not happen.