R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-09-2003, 12:07 AM   #16
Tech Master

Wow, referencing rule books... technical, and oh so confusing (... ...). So wait, can I possibly have a recap. All this talk is getting me a little confused .

Oh yeah... tail lights... I'm an idiot.

PS hopefully someone loves me and posts a recap...please .
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 08:09 AM   #17
Tech Regular

Lazy, here's your Recap: The entire body must be intact, cut no higher than the trim line ALL the way around, which basically means that the rear of the body must remain on (including the bumper). For electric TC's none of the windows may be cut out. For nitro TC's, you may have up to a 2 inch max. diameter hole in the windshield for cooling, and a 3/8th inch hole on the roof for a fuel cap handle. You may also cutout the front door windows, and the rear windshield for cooling. The rear door windows must remain intact.

Also, for either class (electric/nitro) the car's wing may be painted or left clear. Don't be lazy.. paint that wing! Here's a tip: After painting, let the wing dry for 24 hours (48 if you painted with acrylic paint!). cover the underside of the wing with masking tape; this will help prevent scratches to the paint.

Last edited by TurnNBurn; 09-09-2003 at 10:10 AM.
TurnNBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 09:08 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to hicheef
Default 54mm on the front windshield???

Really!!!!!? I heard it was 2 inches max. And I can open up the rear window more too?? I kept both holes front and rear to 2 inches thinking that was max I could go. I may open the one on the back a bit more but I thin I'll stick to the 2 inches on the front.
Anyhow I kept the rear bumper but it is ugly!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.1 bumper.jpg (51.9 KB, 84 views)
hicheef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 09:10 AM   #19
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to hicheef
Default the money shot

here's the whole thing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullbody 2.1.jpg (114.4 KB, 89 views)
hicheef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 09:29 AM   #20
Tech Regular

oops... my bad. It is 2 inches - I think the 54mm is an IFMAR rule, but it's bigger than 2 inches... I'll have to verify that. Thanks for pointing it out, and I will correct the original post.

BTW, the part about the rear windshield is correct, but personally, I wouldn't remove the whole thing, because it would definitely weaken the integrity of the body. Like you, I just usually make a hole in the rear too.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:27 PM   #21
Tech Master

Thanks TurnNBurn

For the rear window though, I personally cut two to four relatively small sized holes. Instead of having one huge rear hole, or 30 small ones like Atsushi Hara, I have 2-4 holes that are medium sized. This keeps the integrity of the body quite high still, but less of a pain than drilling or reaming a ton of small holes that must be exactly the same size and in a specific pattern in order for it to look good (which Hara's car does quite well- look good ).
Old 09-10-2003, 01:32 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Default Get your rulers out!

Hi guys,

I as just checking the rule book again, and I found the measurements for cutouts specified in the rule book... Rule 3-11 on page 19 specifies a 50mm size hole on the windshield, which is just under 2 inches (50.8mm), but I suppose nobody has measuring tools that precise...

Of course the rules don't mention this, but I assume that you can have an additional hole on the roof for glow plug access?
Old 09-10-2003, 02:02 PM   #23
Tech Master

Default Re: Get your rulers out!

Quote:
Originally posted by TurnNBurn
Hi guys,

I as just checking the rule book again, and I found the measurements for cutouts specified in the rule book... Rule 3-11 on page 19 specifies a 50mm size hole on the windshield, which is just under 2 inches (50.8mm), but I suppose nobody has measuring tools that precise...

Of course the rules don't mention this, but I assume that you can have an additional hole on the roof for glow plug access?
Teh glow plug hole is on the roof of the vehicle, so that doesn't apply to the rule, because it only regulates the size of the hole on the front windshield... or so I believe.
Old 09-10-2003, 02:14 PM   #24
Tech Master

here is my race body, check out my cooling/refueling holes. A bit unconventional, but I saw Ralph Burch does this, and it makes refueling a lot easier... I've got to get the rest of it cut out and mounted... especially since I've got to paint another .

PS like that wing I've got . That is an old, decapitated race wing... i should mount the nice one on sometime....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quickie.jpg (30.3 KB, 87 views)
Old 09-10-2003, 03:10 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Nice detail work work on the front, lazy!
Old 09-10-2003, 03:15 PM   #26
Tech Master

Red face Thanks

he, thanks.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:46 AM   #27
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

On the silver and Orange Straus body above, you can cut the rear bumper at the next line up, the one that goes 1/2 way through the "thingys". I looks like its about 1/4 inch higher than where you have it now.

Murnan Modified Motors

Mugen MRx4

Rocket Science Fuels

Auto Racing, Mountain climbing, and Bull fighting are the only true sports, all the rest are just games.
theRED5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 03:04 AM   #28
Tech Fanatic

Default I'd rather outlaw

Turn n burn : You are probley right as the rules go! but they really spent alot of time looking at my car and didn't say a word about the back end missing! However they made it very clear that if I placed in the a main they would tear my engine down which was ok cause for the first time I was legal (I think) which I find to be so boring. Bearing in mind I run racing fuel in my weed wacker. Any way I didn't run the main cause a guy crashed at the end of the straight and by the time he said anything my car was in pieces,Second time that's happend this year But I would bet If you followed the rule book to the t you could find somthing wrong with the top 5 cars. I have built more then a few cheeter moters for guys that run in the stock classes. I have a feeling this post will raise a few hairs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imga0171 mtx2.jpg (128.8 KB, 66 views)
HELLION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 03:19 AM   #29
Tech Master

Not really raising hairs too much. I mean, cheating is a part of racing. Knowing, or unknowing it constantly occurs. But you are only a cheater if you are caught, by the officials or by some guys in the pit.

Nice to see that someone is still seeking domination with the MTX2! Me too, old school still rocks!
Old 09-11-2003, 06:06 PM   #30
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I have to disagree, Im2Lazy,and it appears there's a notion that what you said is spreading all over.

IF YOU CHEAT, EVEN IF YOU DON'T GET CAUGHT, YOU ARE STILL A CHEATER. (Which in my opinion is right up there with a THIEF).

There's guys running at our track that know they're not gonna check engines so they break out the 5 port turbos and try to win. The point most take is that if their not winning what does it matter.

It doesn't take any more effort to cut a body at the proper line than to cut it illegal.

Murnan Modified Motors

Mugen MRx4

Rocket Science Fuels

Auto Racing, Mountain climbing, and Bull fighting are the only true sports, all the rest are just games.
theRED5 is offline   Reply With Quote