Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foam Tire Truing

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 07:02 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by fraz
If track abrasion is high, sometimes truing is not necessary and can be avoided because many manufacturer's tires have a 6-7mm split right out of the box.
Are you talking about 1/8th scale tires or 1/10th scale TC? All 200 mm touring car tires (front and rear) come at 65 to 66 mm diameter out of the box. No split.
Old 09-06-2003, 07:04 AM
Tech Prophet

Talking about tire truers, I believe I read somewhere in this forum that the most economical way to go without busting the pocket is to get the OFNA truer and fit it with Hudy arbors. Can somebody confirm and enligten us on this?
Old 09-06-2003, 07:36 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by StepPins
Do you usually true the tires to be straight if coning occurs, or just adjust for camber?
I adjust my camber so that coning does not occur.
Old 09-06-2003, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by StepPins
Do you usually true the tires to be straight if coning occurs, or just adjust for camber?
It depends on the situation a bit.
Usually any coning is minimal after one heat, and I would likely just alter the camber to correct the situation - how slack of me! Remember that they've also likely worn differently from side to side depending on the track, and I would probably rotate them also. Then I'd be considering how they are looking in terms of split front to rear. There is also consideration given to the hardness - do we need to go softer or harder - front, back or both.

By the time you have this sorted, a decision has to be made as to what to run in the final - probably a new/different set altogether. And this is for a normal club meet. For a bigger event I'd be changing tyres a bit more.

Having re-read the above, it all sounds rather complicated, but it really isn't.
Old 09-06-2003, 11:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

I have the integy truer. I have no complaints. It comes with like 5 hacksaw blade bits much like many other truers. I am going to buy one of the hudy carbide cutters eventually, but i am using the stock bits now.
Old 09-06-2003, 04:33 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by InitialD
Talking about tire truers, I believe I read somewhere in this forum that the most economical way to go without busting the pocket is to get the OFNA truer and fit it with Hudy arbors. Can somebody confirm and enligten us on this?

yep,thats true.....but heres the way I figured it...

the ofna is 230 bucks.....the arbors are 30 apiece......I need 2...

teh hudy automatic now comes with a track width limiter(saves time cutting),the $60 revised aluminum case,AND the carbide bit..

I bought mine for 390 plus the arbors....I figeured once I added the cost of the case,plus thecarbide bit,I was saving only 70 bucks on the ofna.....

and to be honest,after looking at my freinds ofna truer,I decided teh better quality of the hudy was well worth it..plus the hudy cones the tires with one simple adjustment...something the ofna does not do(as easily)...

plus,I don't believe in supporting a company that copies products..
Old 09-06-2003, 09:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Freakah and StepPins,
I found that truing touring foams will have you going thru tires a lot more. Tires won't last as long because you'll be cutting down the tires more often. Getting smaller and smaller. Not enough foam. On the 235s and 1/8th, there is more foam on the rim to true, right Joe? If you can afford tires like God, go for it. But if you drive out of control like me.....

Just my $.02

BTW, I was using Franks Serpent truer
Old 09-06-2003, 10:07 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by RoyU
I found that truing touring foams will have you going thru tires a lot more. Tires won't last as long because you'll be cutting down the tires more often. Getting smaller and smaller.
Roy, sometimes more does not necessarily mean that the tires last longer. More often than not, it may mean the shorter the life of the tires and perhaps at the expense of car parts because of crash

The possibility of tires chunking and rendering them half or completely useless is high. Truing the tires down makes the tires perform better. Perhaps some may disagree.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:13 PM
Tech Master

If you are running on a race program that has 1/8 running with you at the same location, ask the 1/8 racers to give you there worn out tires, 90% of the time they will say no problem sence they are to small for there cars and after all there just going to toss them. sock them in acetone over night, pull the rubber of the rims, sock the rubber in HOT water to get the acetone out of the rubber, if you do not do these it will make the rubber harder,then rinse in cold wate and let dry, you are ready to mount them on some rims, you did save your worn out 1/10 foams did you not? do the same, soke them in the acetone to remove the old rubber I can get away with only having to buy on set to every 4 I make and that has saved me over five hunders dollars this year alone....
Old 09-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Tech Prophet

drfritz, I hear that 1/8th scale foam tires are softer (more grip) for the same shore and last longer when used for 1/10 TC. Something about different compound. True in your case?
Old 09-06-2003, 10:25 PM
Tech Master

Hey, thats what I have found with them,they have a much tighter cell construction than standard tc tires and I can get away with running softer tires and still get good wear out of them.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:26 PM
Tech Elite

Roy, sometimes more does not necessarily mean that the tires last longer. More often than not, it may mean the shorter the life of the tires and perhaps at the expense of car parts because of crash

The possibility of tires chunking and rendering them half or completely useless is high. Truing the tires down makes the tires perform better. Perhaps some may disagree.
I agree, truing the tires down cuts down the chunking and does perform better. Also, if you can find that optimum size where the the car performs like its rails, the tire wear will less until you past that point.
I've come across those times, but i forget to take the measurement. Remember" the seventies" But I did it when I was racing my Impact. Truing the tires down to that magic number really works
Can't really afford foams that much. Can't even buy a new car r/c that is. Bought a brand new Tacoma
Old 09-06-2003, 10:29 PM
Tech Elite

Nobody races 1/8th and 235 classes here anymore
But that's a good idea about using 1/8th tires
Old 09-06-2003, 10:39 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by RoyU
Bought a brand new Tacoma
4x2 Regular Cab
4x2 Xtracab
4x2 S-Runner
4x4 Regular Cab
4x4 Xtracab
4x4 S-Runner
PreRunner Regular Cab
PreRunner Xtracab
PreRunner S-Runner

Which one?
Old 09-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Tech Elite

4x2 Regular Cab
4x2 Xtracab
4x2 S-Runner
4x4 Regular Cab
4x4 Xtracab
4x4 S-Runner
PreRunner Regular Cab
PreRunner Xtracab
PreRunner S-Runner

Which one?
Prerunner SR5 Double Cab
Should've gotten the Limited package

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.