R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-06-2003, 03:54 AM   #46
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Corse-R
Sirio carbs are crappy due to their Metal/Plastic construction, metal with the continuous heating/cooling cycles stretch the plastic molding and then the carb is junk. Sirio engine with a Nova carb is just bulletproof.
I believe the STS engine uses plastic moulding carb too.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 09:13 AM   #47
Tech Elite
 
Taylor-Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Melbourne OZ
Posts: 2,066
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by stefan
Well, why don't you go and find out since you seem to be very sceptic about my opinion on STS engines.

If you have your mind already made up about something, it doesn't make a lot of sense to ask further questions, or does it?

My apologies if I offended you, stefan. I am not sceptical of your opinion and can not figure out how you interpreted my question as such. Also, I have not made my mind up about anything - where did all this come from?

I merely asked a question - lots of questions get asked on these forums.

Thank you to InitialD and prawntoe for the answer.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 10:51 AM   #48
Tech Addict
 
prawntoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 617
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
I believe the STS engine uses plastic moulding carb too.
older version yes - the part that fit into the crankcase is a 2-piece plastic/plastic (or a variant of . . ) construction whereas the newer version is metal (outside)/plastic(inside). . .

The newer version has a redesign carb (that is when you compare the two side by side you can tell the difference where the rubber rings sit).

STS carbs (old and new) are very stable and easy to tune - IMHO they have a wide performance tuning range.
prawntoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 11:36 AM   #49
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by prawntoe
older version yes - the part that fit into the crankcase is a 2-piece plastic/plastic (or a variant of . . ) construction whereas the newer version is metal (outside)/plastic(inside). . .
Thanks for pointing it out

Quote:
Originally posted by prawntoe
The newer version has a redesign carb (that is when you compare the two side by side you can tell the difference where the rubber rings sit).
Ok, the new one has one o ring while the older one had two. That's a step back don't you think? Wonder why STS did that while the newer NS12 and V12 engines are equipped with double o rings...

Quote:
Originally posted by prawntoe
STS carbs (old and new) are very stable and easy to tune - IMHO they have a wide performance tuning range.
I was not having any problems using the original carb. Yes, it was easy to tune. However, I changed it halfway to a Nova carb that I had as I had done some things to the Nova carb and wanted to test it out on the STS engine.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 02:42 PM   #50
Tech Master
 
me43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: honolulu,HI
Posts: 1,156
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by stefan
The new HPI is an STS engine, which is a copy of the Nova Rossi RS12


could someone hook me up to a place where i can get this engine cheap(not CRC)
me43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 04:36 PM   #51
Tech Elite
 
stefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bavaria, Germany
Posts: 3,273
Send a message via AIM to stefan
Default

usually there are always a few on Ebay.

today only this one:

STS RS3
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 10:24 PM   #52
Tech Elite
 
Taylor-Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Melbourne OZ
Posts: 2,066
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Conrod, yes. Sleeve, partly yes as the groove for the pin on the crankcase is different. A small job with the dremel should do it. Front bearings yes but not the internal one. Therefore, the crankshaft is also different.
Thanks InitialD.

Does this mean I could resurect a S1-JP and a Novarossi S3 using a P/S from a STS-RS3?

Alternatively, could I resurect the above engines using a Sirio 3-port AAC P/S?
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 10:38 PM   #53
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
Does this mean I could resurect a S1-JP and a Novarossi S3 using a P/S from a STS-RS3?

Alternatively, could I resurect the above engines using a Sirio 3-port AAC P/S?
I don't know about Sirio piston / sleeve but it should fit nicely on any Nova based engine. Like I mentioned earlier, you need to cut an extra slot / groove for the STS piston sleeve to fit onto a Nova based crankcase. I believe the Nova one is somewhere 90 degree offset from the STS one (can't remember CW or CCW). The pic I have attached shows a STS crankcase with a STS piston sleeve.

I believe the Sirio sleeve will have different timings as the rod length on the Sirio is slightly longer than a Nova based engine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sts_piston_sleeve.jpg (161.3 KB, 80 views)
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 10:39 PM   #54
Tech Fanatic
 
EVOLUTION's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Everywhere,yet Nowhere!
Posts: 978
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
Thanks InitialD.

Does this mean I could resurect a S1-JP and a Novarossi S3 using a P/S from a STS-RS3?

Alternatively, could I resurect the above engines using a Sirio 3-port AAC P/S?
You want to put the sirio internals into a nova,what's up with that?
EVOLUTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 10:46 PM   #55
Tech Fanatic
 
EVOLUTION's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Everywhere,yet Nowhere!
Posts: 978
Default

Any info on the Richey/RD logics engines???


InitialD,a rubber band on the carb,ahhh ooooooooo!
EVOLUTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 10:46 PM   #56
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by EVOLUTION
You want to put the sirio internals into a nova,what's up with that?
Probably either the Nova P/S set is damn bloody expensive or they aren't readily available...
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 10:48 PM   #57
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by EVOLUTION
InitialD,a rubber band on the carb,oh ooooooooo!
Wife would not want to part with hers. Besides, I'm poor
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 10:52 PM   #58
Tech Fanatic
 
EVOLUTION's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Everywhere,yet Nowhere!
Posts: 978
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Wife would not want to part with hers. Besides, I'm poor
What,i thought Dr Mahathir created good economic opportunities in Malaysia,woops this is the wrong thread. J/K
EVOLUTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 11:38 PM   #59
Tech Elite
 
Taylor-Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Melbourne OZ
Posts: 2,066
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
I don't know about Sirio piston / sleeve but it should fit nicely on any Nova based engine. Like I mentioned earlier, you need to cut an extra slot / groove for the STS piston sleeve to fit onto a Nova based crankcase. I believe the Nova one is somewhere 90 degree offset from the STS one (can't remember CW or CCW). The pic I have attached shows a STS crankcase with a STS piston sleeve.

I believe the Sirio sleeve will have different timings as the rod length on the Sirio is slightly longer than a Nova based engine.
Thanks and yes, the Nova based engines have the locating pin 180 opposite to the STS. This is why we have a Dremel, of course.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 11:43 PM   #60
Tech Elite
 
Taylor-Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Melbourne OZ
Posts: 2,066
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Probably either the Nova P/S set is damn bloody expensive or they aren't readily available...
Yes, expensive. . . . . and the JP's are just rediculous.
I like the idea of AAC - uniform materials expansion and all that.
Apparently the aircraft boys swear by it.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engine Tuning (Picco based vs Nova based) Riketsu Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 6 12-25-2007 05:56 AM
Who makes the fastest 10.5 right now??? John Malin Electric On-Road 6 07-20-2007 07:24 AM
piston nova based engine dotmatrix R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 6 07-17-2007 10:01 AM
Who makes the fastest servo out there? donoman Electric On-Road 14 10-23-2005 06:26 PM
RB Concepts vs. other Nova based .12s Jon Carlson Nitro On-Road 5 06-23-2002 11:10 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:13 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net