Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IS the MTX3 any good??

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 10:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default IS the MTX3 any good??

Hi there, I was wondering what is the general feeling on how folks feel about this car. I didnt' want to ask it on the MTX3 thread because I know what kinda of answer I would get then.

I heard mixed reviews about the car on nitroreview.com. Heard that it breaks easy. Then there are some that rave about this car?? Thx.

Gary
Old 09-04-2003, 01:32 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Break easy? Oh heck no!

I've broken three parts on the car, a rear arm, a CVD bone, and a front upright.

The rear arm i dove into the 90* off the front stretch to soon, grabbed the rear tire with the board and ripped it off. Any car would have done the same.

CVD bone & Front Upright were on the same hit, same situation, except I had a brain fart and turned in about a foot early, ripped the front wheel off the car while at full steering lock.

It's taken some other pretty hard hits and not broken, and all the hits that it did break were deserving hits, so i have nothing to complain about.

As for problems with the car, there really aren't any other than front universals. I would suggest the front CVD's for the car, as the universals tend to pop out if you even so much as rub something while at full lock. If you space them right with O-rings, they stay in longer, but i wouldnt trust the universals...
Old 09-04-2003, 01:45 PM
Tech Elite

IS the MTX3 any good??

Uhhhh, nope!
Old 09-04-2003, 02:01 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: IS the MTX3 any good??

Originally posted by loosenut
...Heard that it breaks easy.
Whoever said that has to be one of the biggest hacks. Mugen cars are very robust. I have not broken my MTX2 for ten months that I have had my present car. The MTX3 is just as durable, with the exception of the dogbones popping out. Just get the Mugen universals
Old 09-04-2003, 02:26 PM
Tech Adept

Here was my review from nitroreview.com :

Highs:
Great looking kit, very solid, VERY precise fit of everything. Extremely fast pickup for a belt driven car. ( might be due to my Paris Top tuned engine. moreso than pure efficiency though )

Lows:
Very high maintenance, manual stinks, expensive not only initially but throughout use, ball bearings blow(especially the front metal sheilded bearings) for a kit of this stature, forget running it on anything but the highest grip/cleanest track.

Picking up an NTC3 this week. Enough said.
I still stay true to that review.

Also, heres a snip from another use this time Dave in Sydney:

Theres alot of people raving about the MTX-3, 'this thing is the bomb' 'guaranteed winner'. Not quite....Maybe they just think carbon fibre is all that is needed to make a real winners chassis....sorry Mugen but the others I race with that also run the MTX-3 have the same things to say, problem after problem they drop from the mains like flies, doesnt compare to the V1RR or 705. The manual is terrible and the ball bearings are beyond a joke, they blow out in no time meaning you spend alot more time stripping down the car to get down to the damn things than actually having run with friends and racing. Maybe its good for very high traction tracks but other than that stay away from the MTX-3!
I would also like to add that maintenance (bearings included) on this kit is a royal pain in the rear. Expect to replace all plastic parts on the car after doing a full blown strip down and cleaning after about 6 times as the screws become lose in the plastic from the constant attention needed cleaning the kit.

God speed to you if you happen to lose a drive belt between qualifiers; expect to sit atleast one of them out.

On a plus note, the shocks/dampers are amazing ... definitly like the Mugen shocks/dampers. I really was tempted to put them on my NTC3; but the NTC3 was just so darn good handling, it'd be a waste of time

IMO the MTX2 pro spec was a much better kit than the X3 is today. I know atleast a handful of guys who have had and loved the MTX2, who have gone and bought something other than an MTX3 as their next kit.

MTX3 is not all its cracked up to be I would rather have a VoneRR Evo., NTC3 or even the R40 over another MTX3.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:43 PM
Tech Master

Well, I'm stuck with an MTX2 and I've driven a few MTX3's and I tend to like them a bit more. Maintenance is no huge care for me because I tend to be able to catch most catastrophic things (*EDIT* ie, I clean my bearings after every race... I've got enough time to do it), but yes, throwing a belt could mean a lot of time, but I can get it done in five to seven minutes.

The screws, I don't like, but then again I replace all the screws on just about all of my vehicles to better ones.

I feel the performance makes up for any drawbacks, but that is my feeling. Many others think differently than I do.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I used to drive serpent! and love the car! then I get 705!! Great car!! but..then.. some how I start to have problem with it. It just need a bit more maintainnnent on it. I was having many problem with it for 4 full race! I was never be able to finish the race at all. Every race...I have difference problem with the car. Any how...I decided to get the MTX3 instead!! and the 1st time I take the car out...I was loving it! THe car gear ratio seem to be much better than 705! quicker take off. as far as the maintainnent goes...I think MTX3 decided to have less belts change then the 705 just because they chassis design. I bought alot of light weight upgrade for the car and it was not so bad at all!! Price is very affortable!! and also the parts....price was cheap! and easy to find. Any how...1st time..with the car...I manage to get 2nd in 30Min A main!! very happy with the car!!!
Old 09-04-2003, 04:23 PM
Tech Addict

to be honest all the cars even RTRs requires routine maintenances to keep the car trouble free and the mtx3 doesn't require any special maintenances to keep it running

maybe the MR12 on my mtx3 is not powerful enough, i don't have any blown bearings

also the manual is not particularly poor, maybe what's stink is the building skill of those individuals

if you truely believe the mtx3 sucks, get some other cars you like, no need to convice yourself that it is good!!
Old 09-04-2003, 04:47 PM
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

if you truely believe the mtx3 sucks, get some other cars you like, no need to convice yourself that it is good!!
Old 09-04-2003, 05:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey guys thx for the opinions. I dont' want to start a flame war here....so lets just keep it at personal experience. I've decided to get the mtx3. So now I'll have the ntc3 and the mtx3. I will definitely post my comparison notes on this forum very shortly.

G
Old 09-04-2003, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Fire

to some people.. the service sucks therefore the car sucks i suppose.. oh well.. to each his own..
Old 09-04-2003, 05:53 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by chorner
Here was my review from nitroreview.com :

I still stay true to that review.

Also, heres a snip from another use this time Dave in Sydney:

I would also like to add that maintenance (bearings included) on this kit is a royal pain in the rear. Expect to replace all plastic parts on the car after doing a full blown strip down and cleaning after about 6 times as the screws become lose in the plastic from the constant attention needed cleaning the kit.

God speed to you if you happen to lose a drive belt between qualifiers; expect to sit atleast one of them out.

On a plus note, the shocks/dampers are amazing ... definitly like the Mugen shocks/dampers. I really was tempted to put them on my NTC3; but the NTC3 was just so darn good handling, it'd be a waste of time

IMO the MTX2 pro spec was a much better kit than the X3 is today. I know atleast a handful of guys who have had and loved the MTX2, who have gone and bought something other than an MTX3 as their next kit.

MTX3 is not all its cracked up to be I would rather have a VoneRR Evo., NTC3 or even the R40 over another MTX3.
totally agree with you !!

dont get MTX3 it is bad ass all the way.

by the way, do you have any setup tips on your NTC3 for my LD3?
Old 09-04-2003, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Its my opinion that,like baseball teams,not every car is as bad as everyone says,or as good as everyone says...

theres alot of different factors in car choice....everything from parts support to how does the car feel To YOU while you're driving it....

I drove an MTX 2,and really liked it..but around here,no one supports the car....

I race against the 3's all the time..they run strong,I'll tell you that..

My tc3 is a great car also,but also has issues...and requires a different driving style than some people are used to....

get what you like...try it out...if it doesn't work,ebay it...

Last edited by fastharry™; 09-04-2003 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-04-2003, 06:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by Vinyard
to some people.. the service sucks therefore the car sucks i suppose.. oh well.. to each his own..
I wonder who you could be talking about. lol Once a bitter man always a bitter man.
Old 09-04-2003, 06:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by fastharry
Its my opinion that,like baseball teams,not every car is as bad as everyone says,or as good as everyone says...

theres alot of different factors in car choice....everything from parts support to how does the car feel To YOU while you're driving it....

I drove an MTX 2,and really liked it..but around here,no one supports the car....

My tc3 is a great car also,but also has issues...and requires a different driving style than some people are used to....

get what you like...try it out...if it doesn't work,ebay it...
I can agree with you for once

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.