R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-03-2003, 03:43 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default HELP! what to buy?? SNR, Type SS, TR-15 Rally

Okay, here are my intentions...

I live near a university campus with alot of paths and alot of grass, I have an electric (FT TC3) but unfortunatly, grass would kill it O_o And I wanted to try out nitros anyways (even though people said it was alot of work) So I decided a few things... please correct me if im mistaken.....

1) If i want to run on rally-ish surfaces like pebbly asphalt and grass I would want a sealed drive train and a shaft drive.

2) Running on grass would be okay for a Nitro powered car since there is no ESC to fry and you dont need to worry about battery amp draw

With that being said, I narrowed it down to:

HPI Type SS
HPI Super Nitro Rally
Kyosho TR-15 Rally

I want to stay below the 300 dollar price range and I want a new kit so I think Im limited to these few. Many people badmouth the HPI kits saying they are crappy but im not going to be doing any racing or whatnot. I read that the SS goes up to 45 or so MPH and i think thats pretty damn good =) But Im torn between these cars and I have a few questions:

1) Is the Type SS okay to run on grass and bumpy asphalt? I mean, If i jack the car up high with suspension settings and get rally tires, wouldnt I have simply a fast version of the Super nitro Rally?

2) I see that even though the SS has a sealed shaft drivetrain, the two speed transmission gears are exposed. Now Im NOT going to be running on dirt tracks or anything like that. Im worried about rocks gettign stuck and tearing up the gears. Is this likely to happen? I mean people say this is an OK parkinglot racer and parking lots are bound to have rocks and debris....

3) How is the Kyosho? Im feeling iffy about this car because parts seem to be scarce but if its a good car Im all for it. It got a good review on RC car action. What do you people think???

Im leaning towards the Type SS right now since it has a better engine than the SNR and more horsepower. The setup seems better too. Is the SNR more durable or somthing? As far as I can tell I cant seem to find a single perk in getting the SNR over the SS..... please... sombody help me out

oh yeah.... lastly, I KNOW THERE ARE BETTER CARS THAN THESE. I hear much good stuff about Mugens... NTC3's... and thats great and all.... but im NOT going to be racing... I just want to bash around the school and HPI seems to have alot of part avalibility in case I break somthing. So i dont need some super road racer... I just wanna make an informed buy... my price range is definitly under 300 bucks.... prolly more around 250-300

thanks a bunch!
-Lawrence
umamimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 04:36 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Hello,
Well here is my opinion. With what you said and described, and if I was you I would pick the SNR. The Type SS is a 1/10th scale onroad touring car and would have to be modified to go off road. The TR-15 is an old 1/10 buggy design, and it doesn't even come with bearings! The SNR and TR-15 would be good in gravel and dirt but grass would probably be a strain on their motors. I have a XXX-NT with a Picco.12 and on football fields and golf courses it flies. But it does bog down in tall grass.
By the way TowerHobbies is the place for Kyosho parts and UltimateHobbies has probably the best prices you will find.
Hope this helps.
vulso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 10:17 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

hey there

thanks for the response.... even if the TR-15 is old... is it a good car? Im expecting for the car to have trouble in tall tall grass but it would still run yes no? not well.... but it should prolly still go?
Old 09-04-2003, 04:44 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Yeah it will still go in grass. The TR-15 is an old design but Kyosho makes quality kits. The GS-15-R engine is a good motor too, it just runs hot. I have a V one S with that motor and it has good power and will run all day.
By the way, all the ones you are looking at are kits and you will need electronics for them to run. You should check out TowerHobbies.com they give detailed info on the kits you are interested in, so you can compare.
This might not interest you, but with your price cap and all I would check out the XXXNT-RTR on Ebay or HorizonHobby.com. It's a nice truck with quality stuff. just my .02 cents.
Later,
DFS
Old 09-04-2003, 05:04 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Here is the link for the Kyosho Subaru Impreza MP-7.5/GS .21R :

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXANJ2&P=0
If you can swing it get this. By the way check Ebay for cheaper prices.

You probably will like this as well:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCYT8&P=7

When all is said and done get what you think you will enjoy the most and have fun!
Old 09-05-2003, 07:26 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

vulso has said it right,the SS cannot(easily) be made to run off road.i have one,it'd take too much work to get it done.
However,what u want sounds like the MT to me?or do u still want a sedan body?
get the super rally,the TR15 doesnt have full bearings and it'll lead to problems,upgrades etc.
they both would not run well in grass..except football field grass.
might as well get a stadium truck to do that.
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 07:34 PM   #7
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to corvettecrazy

yeah go on ebay and find a used SNR, XXXNT, or NMT (hpi nitro MT) you will save money and there are pretty high chances of you getting them with radio systems and some of the common hop ups.

also if the hobby shop around you doesn't carry HPI parts then getting replacements becomes a pain so I would go losi (XXNT) but if they dont carry losi then go HPI because the more avaible the parts are the easier it will be on yourself if you break something
corvettecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 03:11 AM   #8
Tech Regular

So what did you get? --
Old 09-07-2003, 03:22 AM   #9
Tech Rookie

hey there everyone

first of all, thank you for all of your help. you have given wonderful advice and have brought me to my senses. I know im too fixated on the idea of a rally car but I guess it makes sense that it cant handle grass.... it would be like a real car trying to ride through 5 foot tall bushes =)

my decision? Well since im going to be bashing around and I want to run on everything, I have decided to go all out and buy myself a monster truck. Right now im looking in on T-Maxx's and E-Maxxs.

Even though I wanted to try nitro... im slightly leaning towards the emaxx because from what i read its a better car overall. More immediate torque etc. Top speed I can tinker with later because I know the t-maxx is faster. The perk is, since im already in electric, I have a bunch of batts I can use I plan to be riding over everything with my new truck eh heh. The suspension articulation looks intense!

I know people say that traxxas products break easily but the way i see it, i can either buy it used with hop ups already in it..... or just easily replace some of the easily broken parts liek the a-arms with RPM stuff which has a lifetime warrenty... never have to buy new ones again!

eh heh, im psyched... I thank you all for talking me out of my lunacy

cheers to you all
-Lawrence
Old 09-07-2003, 10:24 AM   #10
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to corvettecrazy

well after driving the new Tmaxx yesterday i have to say it is a real beast. and does VERY well in grass. although i personally prefer nitro to electric go with what ever makes you happy.

although if I were to personally spend that much I would buy a savage SS and then get the reverse hop up.

but w/e floats your boat
corvettecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 09:55 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to 2mcgrath Send a message via Yahoo to 2mcgrath

if you are gonna be running in grass and stuff i would go for a stadium truck or a monster truck both will work great in grass or gravel...the ss isnt made for grass nor gravel and would take to much time and work to make it do so and wouldnt handle wortha crap...and i would also think the stadium trucks and monster trucks would also be better than the rally cars in the case that you are talking about..and stick with newer designs so you will be able to find parts easy..
2mcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote