R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-02-2003, 02:55 PM   #1
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Union City, CA
Posts: 420
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default mt12 turbo tuning

i'm new to racing motors so i need a little help with tuning them. is it normal for my broken in mt12 to idle for 1 minute and then die out. or can a properly tuned motor idle for a whole tank w/o dying. it seems no matter how i tune the motor, 1 minute is about the most i can idle. i'm on tank 7 (20% monster hp). thanks for the 411.
nismoflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 03:15 PM   #2
Tech Master
 
Ah10's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Pasadena/Southern California
Posts: 1,370
Send a message via ICQ to Ah10 Send a message via AIM to Ah10 Send a message via Yahoo to Ah10
Default Re: mt12 turbo tuning

Quote:
Originally posted by nismoflip
i'm new to racing motors so i need a little help with tuning them. is it normal for my broken in mt12 to idle for 1 minute and then die out. or can a properly tuned motor idle for a whole tank w/o dying. it seems no matter how i tune the motor, 1 minute is about the most i can idle. i'm on tank 7 (20% monster hp). thanks for the 411.
it is ok if you can only idle it for a minute while you are breaking in the engine since you are still on the rich side, when you running in the engine at the track then you can graudatly lean the main needle to the temp you want your engine to run, after that then you can start leaning the bottom end needle(which control the idel) to the point where you prefer then it wont die as easy
Ah10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 03:23 PM   #3
Tech Elite
 
EdwardN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,144
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: mt12 turbo tuning

Quote:
Originally posted by Ah10
it is ok if you can only idle it for a minute while you are breaking in the engine since you are still on the rich side, when you running in the engine at the track then you can graudatly lean the main needle to the temp you want your engine to run, after that then you can start leaning the bottom end needle(which control the idel) to the point where you prefer then it wont die as easy
__________________
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 03:55 PM   #4
Tech Master
 
Ah10's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Pasadena/Southern California
Posts: 1,370
Send a message via ICQ to Ah10 Send a message via AIM to Ah10 Send a message via Yahoo to Ah10
Default Re: Re: Re: mt12 turbo tuning

Quote:
Originally posted by Top Gun 777
what is that supposed to mean??
Ah10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 04:02 PM   #5
Tech Addict
 
hooked_on's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 725
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Does anybody know the stock needle setting for a MR12?
__________________
- - - - 2013 Dick Johnson Racing Team Mate Member - - - -
hooked_on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 01:42 AM   #6
Tech Master
 
Im2lazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Hawaii!
Posts: 1,967
Default

My high speed needle is flush and the lowspeed is 2 turns out. Mid-range is slightly in from flush (so slightly, it seems like it is flush). That is how I drove mine on Sunday, you will probably have to richen yours slightly as I drive in a hot and humid area.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 12:36 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic
 
HELLION's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 802
Default m-12

Sounds like your a little fat on the bottem (rich) are you living in high altitude??? And what are your settings at now?
HELLION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 02:22 AM   #8
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Union City, CA
Posts: 420
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

I was running too rich on the bottom. Now I'm about 2 1/4 turns out on the bottom and 4 1/5 turns out from the top. Idle is about 200F. It seems to be revving high though. Can I make the idle gap smaller or does that throw off my settings?
nismoflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 02:38 AM   #9
Tech Master
 
Im2lazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Hawaii!
Posts: 1,967
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by nismoflip
i'm new to racing motors so i need a little help with tuning them. is it normal for my broken in mt12 to idle for 1 minute and then die out. or can a properly tuned motor idle for a whole tank w/o dying. it seems no matter how i tune the motor, 1 minute is about the most i can idle. i'm on tank 7 (20% monster hp). thanks for the 411.
For what reason do you need your engine to idle for a whole minute? A minute is certainly good enough. I wouldn't lean it out because leaning out the low end may help off the line, but you will sacrifice more midrange punch where you need it, coming out of corners from the infield. Also, if you run really long mains, you risk a flame out from a too lean low speed that will cause your engine to overheat after a tank or two.

As long as the idle revs don't lower within 15 seconds, how long it takes for the engine to idle before it cuts out shouldn't matter. I mean, how many times do you let your engine idle for more than a minute during a race? When you break stuff and your pit crew needs to make a fix, but they will stand for you to keep it running with a blip of the throttle every 10-20 seconds. I mean, pit stops are only like 7 seconds at max with an inept pitman.

That is how I look at the 'how long does it idle for' talk.


That is my opinion on the matter, but to lower the gap, you just back out the idle screw that is angled into the carb (as opposed to being straight in like the low speed, midrange) a little until the idle drops properly.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 09:26 PM   #10
Tech Elite
 
tkhoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Somewhere in Penang Island, Malaysia
Posts: 3,495
Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)
Send a message via MSN to tkhoo
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Im2lazy
My high speed needle is flush and the lowspeed is 2 turns out. Mid-range is slightly in from flush (so slightly, it seems like it is flush). That is how I drove mine on Sunday, you will probably have to richen yours slightly as I drive in a hot and humid area.
Hi, can I have the MT-12 3-port non turbo engine temp?? I running at 30-35 degree C track. And just to comfirm is that if we run at night mean the temp is cooler we need to rich the HSN or lean the HSN?? Thanks in advance.

khoo
tkhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 12:18 AM   #11
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by tkhoo
Hi, can I have the MT-12 3-port non turbo engine temp?? I running at 30-35 degree C track. And just to comfirm is that if we run at night mean the temp is cooler we need to rich the HSN or lean the HSN?? Thanks in advance.
At night, when the air is cooler, you need to richen your main needle. This is so that the fuel oil ratio is maintained. At night when the air is cooler, there is more oxygen. You need more fuel to be burnt with more oxygen available in the air.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 02:03 AM   #12
Tech Elite
 
tkhoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Somewhere in Penang Island, Malaysia
Posts: 3,495
Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)
Send a message via MSN to tkhoo
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
At night, when the air is cooler, you need to richen your main needle. This is so that the fuel oil ratio is maintained. At night when the air is cooler, there is more oxygen. You need more fuel to be burnt with more oxygen available in the air.
But now I running in rich side at both needler. So, do I need to adjust during playing at night or morning?? TQ
tkhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 06:01 AM   #13
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by tkhoo
But now I running in rich side at both needler. So, do I need to adjust during playing at night or morning?? TQ
If you're running rich during the day time and still want to run it rich at night, yes, richen the needles.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 07:33 PM   #14
Tech Elite
 
tkhoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Somewhere in Penang Island, Malaysia
Posts: 3,495
Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)
Send a message via MSN to tkhoo
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
If you're running rich during the day time and still want to run it rich at night, yes, richen the needles.
Prof.D, can just run the car day and night without do any adjustment?? Now the needler set at rich side.
tkhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 07:53 PM   #15
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by tkhoo
Prof.D, can just run the car day and night without do any adjustment?? Now the needler set at rich side.
If you're sure that during the day time (hot weather) the engine is running rich, then the engine *should* not have any problems in the night. It will relatively run a little leaner. How lean will your engine will be or can you run it with no problems? Best is to listen to the engine and still check the temp from time to time.

You're into night driving now?
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turbo button on an MT12- Will it work? wild gopher Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 4 03-24-2004 09:42 AM
Need turbo crank for mugen MT12 PRO RS4 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 0 05-30-2003 04:21 PM
MT12 and MT12 turbo on ebay (cheep)!!!! carpet_killa Nitro On-Road 0 02-23-2002 07:44 AM
V one R with MT12 turbo for sale! over gear R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 10-29-2001 05:23 PM
MT12 RS12 RB12 and other engines tuning tips disaster999 Nitro On-Road 60 10-15-2001 10:38 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:01 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net