Search

NEW! PROTOform 1/8th GT Racebody

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by daleepp
ANYWAY - I know I'm a dollar short and a day late as usual, (errr...make that a year late) but I'm working on some neat stuff for GT2 - honestly. As the first project gets closer, I'll give you more details.

Thanks for your patience and support.

Dale Epp - Protoform
That is great news to hear, that we are not forgotten. Can't wait for the next body for GT2 !
Old 02-24-2011, 12:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by daleepp
No offence taken guys! We're all living in a world that's gradually becoming devoid of all basic ethics and civility. Just look at the what's going on in society on any news program. Pretty darn sad. Just don't fall in the same trap guys.

What's happened here on this thread "ain't nuttin" to get upset about impo.

ANYWAY - I know I'm a dollar short and a day late as usual, (errr...make that a year late) but I'm working on some neat stuff for GT2 - honestly. As the first project gets closer, I'll give you more details.

Thanks for your patience and support.

Dale Epp - Protoform

Thanks for your words Dale,

I hope you dont forget 330mm wheelbase guys (1/8th) ...

cya
Old 02-24-2011, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tabushi
Dale,

JLOCK was talking about RX8 based bodies and alike, i just put this because the Alpha one is kinda based on RX8.

If you feel attacked or "hacked" by my post, just let me know and i will erase the pics and posts, no problem.

Personally, i would love to see more protoform bodies alternatives for GT Class (1/8 and 1/7) ... at least in 1/10th and 1/8th onroad Protoform have the best performing bodies available, share some love with us GT racers.

ps : - Someone needs some love around here ... or a good massage or relaxing therapy , peace !
No, I was talking about the Audi R8 (pic 1), not the Mazda RX8 (pic2). There is a big difference in the body designs of the two cars.

Dale, I know a couple of more for consideration: Nissan 350z/370z or Lotus Elise. A Porsche Cayman is an idea but I don't know how aerodynamic that would be on a GT1/GT2 scale for racing purposes. If there was a way to one-off a design, the Lexus LFA is another one to consider as well. Hope to get some hints on what you are cooking in the design lab soon!!
Attached Thumbnails NEW! PROTOform 1/8th GT Racebody-1d4216c6-4dcc-4938-afe9-dd43f3d11f6b.jpg   NEW! PROTOform 1/8th GT Racebody-665853_03.jpg  

Last edited by JLock; 02-25-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JLock
No, I was talked about the Audi R8 (pic 1), not the Mazda RX8 (pic2). There is a big difference in the body designs of the two cars.

Dale, I know a couple of more for consideration: Nissan 350z/370z or Lotus Elise. A Porsche Cayman is an idea but I don't know how aerodynamic that would be on a GT1/GT2 scale for racing purposes. If there was a way to one-off a design, the Lexus LFA is another one to consider as well. Hope to get some hints on what you are cooking in the design lab soon!!

Sorry i mistyped, its Audio R8 ... thats why i posted the pics ...

Now. i dont know nothing about "designing" RC car bodies but, DALE, how difficult and how good performance would be to reproduce succesful 1/10th nitro sedan bodies but for GT's like Dodge Stratus, Mazda 6 Speed, the newer P5N, etc ?

cya
Old 02-25-2011, 07:14 AM
Tech Elite

Dale,

I have one more that you can consider, maybe a one-off version, the Nissan GT-R.
Attached Thumbnails NEW! PROTOform 1/8th GT Racebody-nissan-gtr-2.jpg  
Old 02-25-2011, 07:16 AM
Tech Elite

Here is a pic of the new Lexus LF-A for you to size up.
Attached Thumbnails NEW! PROTOform 1/8th GT Racebody-lexus-lfa-side.jpg  
Old 02-25-2011, 09:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I think Dale needs to come up something completely different. The PF8 is already modelled after a front engine swept back two door coupe to do that of another car of the same kind would just be boring and ho-hum. However to model after mid engine type cars with a low rear roof line like the Audi R8 would make it difficult to fit on converted 1/8 buggies for 1/8GT that have the taller rear shock towers. I think maybe thinking outside the box like some other car that would create a stir and be able to fit 1/8GT in general would make it more popular. Maybe something like the new Dodge Charger.

This one is a rendering of a Charger with a front grill that looks more like the current Mustang. Perhaps Dale can play on that to come up with his own design.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

The only problem with a body molded after the car in the pic YR4Dude is the front end is kind of blount and might not be aerodynamic for a GT car. If you hadn't noticed pics from GT races, most of the car bodies used are sleek in design. Notice you hardly see the Audi, Subaru, or BMW body sported in the winner's circle/top 3. You do see the occasional PF8-GT but the majority of the ones you see are ones where the front of the car is rounded/sleek for dispersing air around the rest of the body easily.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:08 AM
Tech Champion

The front end doesn't have to be like the pic. Again, I said Dale can play on that to make it his own design and perhaps more aerodynamic. However, winning races is not about everything when selling a body, it needs to look interesting as well. Don't let what happened to 1/10 TC happen in 1/8GT, a sea of round nosed bodies that looks like bars of soap.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
The front end doesn't have to be like the pic. Again, I said Dale can play on that to make it his own design and perhaps more aerodynamic. However, winning races is not about everything when selling a body, it needs to look interesting as well. Don't let what happened to 1/10 TC happen in 1/8GT, a sea of round nosed bodies that looks like bars of soap.
Point taken. But, you know how the r/c public is: they buy what either is most popular or what is winning the most. That is the way it has always been since I started racing r/c. All I want is more choices in bodies that what is now available. Remember back in the early 2000s when touring car started taking off. There were at least dozens of bodies to chose from with about 15 that were good for racing on the big stage (most made by Protoform). Then, for some unexplained reason, all our choices got limited to about 6 choices with most running the most popular two in that crowd.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:31 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JLock
Point taken. But, you know how the r/c public is: they buy what either is most popular or what is winning the most. That is the way it has always been since I started racing r/c. All I want is more choices in bodies that what is now available. Remember back in the early 2000s when touring car started taking off. There were at least dozens of bodies to chose from with about 15 that were good for racing on the big stage (most made by Protoform). Then, for some unexplained reason, all our choices got limited to about 6 choices with most running the most popular two in that crowd.
The problem with 1/8GT is that unlike 1/10TC, it hasn't really taken off yet. 1/10TC peaked when there were many interesting bodies available like you said and then it kind of died. However, the resurgence in 1/10TC is now in the RCGT and VTA where there are bodies that actually look like a car. RC bodies is really the "sexy" part about RC that can generate interest. It would be nice to see a Protoform body do that because they are produced so economically vs. the other existing sources for 1/8GT and that they are so widely distributed making them more accessible as well.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:59 PM
Tech Master

i would love to have cadilac cts-v coupe or honda accord for my dm-1spec
Old 02-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Dale, I can't wait until you get a new body for the GT2, over the years (and I've been racing for a ling time) you have had some awesome bodies!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bobbyblaze
i would love to have cadilac cts-v coupe or honda accord for my dm-1spec
Not bad choices as well as the CTS-V is raced in touring car and the Accord (in its TSX European variant) is also being raced in touring car.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

Dale,

What about taking one of the current or past 200mm touring car bodies that you have producted and stretch it to fit the GT1 and/or GT2 platform? At least you have the basic design and you could then stretch the measurements, make a working clay mold for aero testing, then if it is feasible, made the bigger mold. Just another idea to consider.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.