R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-31-2003, 11:20 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to BIGGERSTUFF
Default Fastest on-road for under $400?

What is the fastest Nitro car I can get under $400? I'm thinking of getting the Traxxas Nitro 4-tec 2.5... is this a good choice? What other brand or type I can get with the money? I want something FAST with just stock, and maybe upgrades later, thx in advance.
BIGGERSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 11:31 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you're looking for ready to run, you can go for a Yokomo GT4 RTR. They come with engine and radio. They go for about $300, and the car itself is a top notch racer, way better than the Traxas.

Steven Muller
MPP
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 12:09 AM   #3
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I agree, BUT...if you have the time, I reccomend building a kit yourself. MTX3, GT4, NTC3 are all good cars, and they're REAL RACECARS.

And if your going to race, its going to get broken. If you've built the car, you can fix the car.

Murnan Modified Motors

Mugen MRx4

Rocket Science Fuels

Auto Racing, Mountain climbing, and Bull fighting are the only true sports, all the rest are just games.
theRED5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 06:03 AM   #4
Tech Addict

For a newbie who likes speed.....get the rtr fusion 3speed, .21 engine. 80mph as they claim.
thefuzzclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 08:03 AM   #5
Tech Champion

The fusion is not a very good race kit IMO. And the power of a .21 egine will be too much for a begginer. WE all have out allegiances to the kits we have, I have had GT4s and NTC3s. The NTC3 RTR is not that good for the money, it does not come with a 2sp tranny. For about the same money he can get the GT4, which comes with a 2sp tranny included. Now, the NTC3 kit is also a good bung for the buck, and I think NTC3s are very good for begginers because they are easy to work on, and parts are available anf low priced. But for about $320 the GT4S comes with a lot of hopups that you dont get with the NTC3.

Thanks,

Steven Muller
MPP
Old 09-04-2003, 08:29 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Yes the NTC3 does not come with any hop ups........thats the great thing about it, you do not need any hop ups on the NTC3. I win the races with the stock team kit. Remember to get the car kit that you can easily find replacement parts if anything breaks. Good luck with your choices.
sook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 01:32 PM   #7
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to corvettecrazy

i would think that for someone new to nitro and possibly to RC that the "fastest" RC wouldn't be the way to go. I would think that the most duriable one that can take the best beating would be the first thing to do...THEN after you understand the basics of onroad racing and know how to properly handle a car it would be time to get the "faster" one out there.
corvettecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 08:39 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Quote:
i would think that for someone new to nitro and possibly to RC that the "fastest" RC wouldn't be the way to go
I agree with this, but the problem is that once he gets going good he's going to want a faster, better kit. If he ends up buing a RTR kit that does not let him explore his full potential, he might end up spending a lot of money into it just to discover that no matter how many hopups he puts on it, it wont let him compete with other better kits. In other words, if he buys something like a RS4 3, he wont be able to compete with NTC3s, GT4s, 705s and MTX3s. He will have to spend more money to jump into one of those cars.

About the RTR NTC3, its a great car, but IMO, RTR or not, cars should come with 2spd trannies. On the NTC3 thats a $50 option, and he might be better off buying tires or parts with that
money.

And this goes for all newbies, not just him.

Steven Muller
MPP
Old 09-04-2003, 11:01 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AMainJay
Default Nitro RS4 with a 2 speed!

WHOAH BABY, get a nitro rs4 RTR and a 2speed. WOO! youll be seT

"Look, are you gonna listen or no?"
-Alex Navarette
AMainJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 01:33 PM   #10
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to corvettecrazy

i also agree with you...even if you get the RS4 SS that comes with a 2speed and a better engine it wont be as competive as others BUT from what i have heard and from HPI's history it will be very duriable and they are relatively easy to fix if you smash it. and hey if you smash it then instead of fixing it you could get a better one but atleast you have learned the basics to RC nitro (how to tune an engine, chassis tuning, mantiance, and all that VERY important stuff.) I personally would rather learn on a (beater) HPI than risk hurting a nicer car that is more expensive to fix. especially since your first car is the worst car (in terms of over all care) I have to say my truck took WAY more of a beating than any car I get in the future just because I was still (and still am) learning everything to do with tuning an engine and how stuff works.

so get a used RS4 off ebay that comes with extras and beat on that sucker for a while learn how everything works then put down the dough to get a new car worthy of racing.
corvettecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 02:12 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Don't go to HPI RS4 nitro #, tis suckr is falling a parts even with no reason, you don't need to slam it, just run 35 MPH. I invest so much money to that car for my son ( it was his first rc car), for that invested money I cuold buy two MTX3. So we end pu with MTX 3. Or get NTC 3, very dependeble too.
Just don't buy RS4 nitro 3-it is blood sucker car.
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 02:29 PM   #12
Tech Initiate

if you are going to get a kit you can get a impulse pro for under 400. I bought my last vteq kit 2002 for 400.
niffken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 07:15 AM   #13
Tech Adept

if your looking for a very fast car then maybe my car is what you want.mtx-3 w/engine/radio.pm me if interested.
shortyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 09:16 AM   #14
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to hicheef
Default Better question for you is......

$400.00 before you buy support equipt. (motor, radio, servos)? Or $400.00 to include everything you need to run, (RTR)?? If you are just after a car kit, for durability I'd go MTX-3. If you just want an RTR with everything you need to get going I'd probably suggest (and this hurts) the Nitro TC3 RTR. Let us know though because if you are just sfter a car it's really a different answer than if you need everything to get started.
hicheef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 10:30 AM   #15
Tech Elite

The Traxxas Nitro 4-tec is a great basher right out of the box... The new 2.5's need constant attention though... The brake adjustment is a little hard to find also... It geared for top speed, good and bad... I'm running 30mm foams trued down to 60mm... You need to run a little offset to get the 30mm's on without rubbing though...
vtl1180ny is offline   Reply With Quote