R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-31-2003, 10:40 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Unhappy Break Problem... Need help

Ok heres the problem: with my last nova rossi they told me not to touch the setting to break it in, so with my new TOP engine i assumed the same. Problem is that it wont idle for a full tank. It will run for 1/4 to 1/2 and then die as if it ran out of fuel. It literately revs up and dies. The last time it rev'ed up extremely high to the point that my flywheel loosened up. I retightened it but have started it up again. Wondering if i might have moved the settings accidently. I cant get it to idle more than 1/2 tank before it dies. Its a TOP TN12 S1, any help would be aprectiated thanks.
HaVoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 01:02 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Sounds like you ARE running out of fuel. That's why it revs up before it quits,,, leaning out.

It's hard for anyone to help without actually being there with you but here are a few things...

Did your engine come with a manual? If so, it should tell you where the needles should be for break in. Go ahead and move the needles to make sure they are where they should be. If the needles are set correctly then check your fuel line. Look for any holes or cuts that could let air in. Also check the pressure line. Maybe the screws in your engine have worked themselves loose. Check to make sure everything is tight. Did you move the carb while installing the engine? If so, is it tight?

The best help you could probably get is from your hobby shop or someone experienced with nitro engines.

Good Luck.
The Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 01:47 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

Thanks sleeper. Yeah i had check the fuel line, checked the tank, checked the pressure line. I even went as far as to try it with a few new ones. I'll be checking those needles tomorrow too. As for the carb that one completely slipped my mind. I did have to turn the carb a bit for it to clear. Forget got all about that, maybe that is the problem. Might have forgot to retighten it. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2003, 02:00 AM   #4
Tech Master

The Sleeper is totally correct, but I'll just say that I feel that idling an engine to break it in is definitely not the best thing to do.

I break my engines in by running them lightly, but on the ground, from the very first tank. In over 8 months of racing, it has never once flamed out vor any reason other than running out of fuel.

If you don't believe me, just ignore me, but I'll just say it makes great power, and it doesn't stall, stutter, or shut off because it is so easy to tune comepared to engines broken-in using the older style of breaking in an engine.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 02:29 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

That is interesting. Ive heard something similar to that from a handful of people but they all say that and to richen it up a bit.
Old 09-01-2003, 02:37 AM   #6
Tech Master

never leave the settings, because they move in shipping

stock is probly 3 1/2 - 4 on the high side and 1 1/2 on the low

and i have the same engine as Im2Lazy, but i accidently broke it in the old fasion way, but i have never flamed out yet, the only time i do is when the preasure line comes off (yeah thats thats what happened kyle at the middle of the striat during practice)
me43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 02:41 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

ill double check those settings then. anyone know the default setting for the TOP TN12 S1?
Old 09-01-2003, 02:58 AM   #8
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by me43
never leave the settings, because they move in shipping

stock is probly 3 1/2 - 4 on the high side and 1 1/2 on the low

and i have the same engine as Im2Lazy, but i accidently broke it in the old fasion way, but i have never flamed out yet, the only time i do is when the preasure line comes off (yeah thats thats what happened kyle at the middle of the striat during practice)

No, no ways mike, I've got to disagree. My top end is more like 4 or 5 turns out. Keep it as is stock. They don't really move much, they've got those o-rings and the threads to keep it from moving. I didn't need to richen it up, but I did need to do some fine tuning.

One warning, if you don't know what you are doing, or you don't have someone that knows how to get an engine running properly, you might be better off just idling it in for break-in.
Old 09-01-2003, 03:00 AM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by HaVoK
ill double check those settings then. anyone know the default setting for the TOP TN12 S1?
No real default settings because every carb is slightly different. Engine manufacturers have flowmeters, and let them find out what they think is the best setting and adjust it only once the car has started up... so long as you know what you're doing.
Old 09-01-2003, 03:02 AM   #10
Tech Master

i have to idea what my settings are

roy tuned my car for me, and i just richen or lean as needed
me43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 06:27 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to serpentracer1

On breaking in an engine you will get so many ways to do it you mind will get boggled.Everybody has a certain way to do it.Myself I usually break a motor in this way.I will run the first tank or so on the starter box keeping the temp 180-200(keeping the idle abit on the high side not to let it bog out) after the first tank I make sure the motor is not at TDC.and bring it down to 100 or alittle below before I run another tank thru.I usually do that for 2 tanks.Than the next 3-5 tanks I will run the the motor 200-220 to get it in operating temp of the motor never over reving the motor letting it cool abit to lower temp than bringing it up to operating temp and doing the same thing on cking the TDC(making sure its not at TDC) and letting it cool between runs to 100 or below.(I am still on the starter box with the car) the nest 3-5 tanks I bring the temp up to 220 -240 not letting it stay fixed at a certain temp for a period of time.and do the same inbetween tanks with the TDC and letting the engine cool.Thats about 13 tanks(first time I even start to touch the needle settings) than I put a body on it with the correct holes cut into it and tune the motor in alittle for the next 3 tanks. It seems like a long process but it works for me.and once your up to around 13-15 tanks Josh Cyrul wrote a good article on the tuning of the motor on the trinity website go to it and follow it . Ive found that it works great.

Some of you are saying well you should put it on the ground and run it around with the body off so that it cools.I dont do it that way I want the motor to seat in even from top to bottom and alot of times this doesnt happen if air is blowing over the head remember that you would be cooling the top half faster than the lower half to me making it uneven on break in. I took some of my break in from when I used to race go-karts and had highly mod 2stroke engines that were air cooled that we broke in. thats just my 2 cents worth

Remember you gonna hear so many ways to break in a motor from different people.This is the way I like to break mine in.

safe settings
high- flush plus 1 turn out
low-3-41/4 out
Orion R10 Pro VST powered

Last edited by serpentracer1; 09-03-2003 at 09:27 AM.
serpentracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote