R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-10-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Need Help picking a Car for 10 year old beginner

I want to get an RC Car for my son's birthday but don't even know where to begin. Can you suggest a good make a model to start with.

Everything I've read so far says I should probably start him with an Electric Car. However, I know he really wants a gas one.

I think he would prefer a truck or dune buggy to a car?

Thank you for you help
SZcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:01 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SZcars View Post
I want to get an RC Car for my son's birthday but don't even know where to begin. Can you suggest a good make a model to start with.

Everything I've read so far says I should probably start him with an Electric Car. However, I know he really wants a gas one.

Thank you for you help
if you choose to get him a truck get the nitro stampede it is great fun fast and great for beginners and has easy start system it goes about 35mph and is priced around
$300 it is made by traxxas
Old 08-10-2008, 08:12 AM   #3
Suspended

Location: r.i.p Chiquita - 1993-2008 - "best dog in the world"

Unless your're versed in nitro it's IMHO not a good jumping off point in the hobby. More muss, more fuss, more grime, more tuning issues you won't understand, more smells mom won't appreciate in the house, and less actual wheel and runtime than a comperable electric.
ratherBracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:00 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

i hate to say it but unless u know a bit of the nitro engine ur far better with an electric one. a friend got his son last christmas a savage. and he was very excited at first, then couple of runs he got frustated and i believe he gave up on it. he spended about $600.00 on it too. ouch
illrooster132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:18 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

for a 10 year old get a kyosho mini-z.
get one for everybody in the house and have indoor races.
do some you tube searches for research on these cars.
poochy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:30 PM   #6
Tech Regular

I suggest he learn the ropes with an Associated RC18(1/18 scale truck or buggy or onroad) all for $150. Everything is included except for batteries. It is fast enought for a 10 year old, easy to work on, rugged. If he likes it, he can upgrade later to a bigger, faster car later. If he doesn't get hooked, well you'll only be out $150 instead of $400-500 bucks for a nitro.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:49 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SZcars View Post

Thank you for you help
What does your son plan on doing with racing or just bashing around the neighborhood? Also how much support will he have with it, ie; local hobby shop, race track etc. I would need to know these things before I could give you my opinion. The only reason is I did the similar thing for my son a couple of years ago.
brqsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:44 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Take it from the other side of the counter, your 10 year old (and you), will be much happier starting off with an electric.

The AE RC18 series of rtr's is IMO the hands down best beginner car available, especially for someone as young as 10. You can get one in off road monster truck, stadium truck, or buggy, and if he wants on road, several different body styles are available to choose from for the 18R. For around $150 you get everything (including a battery) needed to play with the car and he can be driving it full tilt in about an hour after opening the box, indoors or out. Instant fun, no waiting, and no real r/c specific expertise required. If you read the instructions and can connect a couple of plugs, you can make it work. Aftermarket and upgrade support for the RC18 is very deep, and it's a rare hobby shop that does not carry the AE brand. There are plenty of other cars/trucks in the same class as the RC18, but none are as durable and only a handful are as well supported.

One of the major downsides to nitro for a 10 year old is it REQUIRES you to supervise and/or help him in order to run the car. If you are looking for something that gets you more involved with your son, nitro is one way to do it, but keep in mind that without nitro specific expertise, most of that time will be spent in mutual frustration as you try to get and keep a nitro engine running until you either gain the required knowledge or give up on it. The nature of nitro engines is brutally unforgiving, a quarter turn of the wrong screw can cost you up to $200 (or more) to replace a burned up nitro engine before you ever get to drive it.

If you do decide to go nitro, please, please, please, do yourself a big favor and deal with a local shop with a good rep for customer service as you will be needing plenty. That's not to say you can't buy a car off the net and get local help from a shop, it's just that a good local shop will usually give you (free) service/help after the sale where you would otherwise have to pay for the same help if you don't buy from them. The few bucks you save buying a car on line will quickly be eaten up if you have to pay for help just to get it going.

If you do go nitro, take a hard look at the Traxxas nitro sport. It's inexpensive, tank tough, and as durable (or more so), than a lot of cars costing twice to three times as much. More importantly, Traxxas nitro vehicles come with the most complete and comprehensive set of nitro beginner friendly instructions in the business. As a beginner, you will stand a better chance of enjoyment from nitro with a Traxxas product than you will with any other brand and like AE, it's a rare hobby shop that does not support the Traxxas brand.
fhm555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:34 PM   #9

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

complete wrong forum for this question. i've been in the hobby for 20yrs and i still wont touch nitro onroad stuff.

go electric for somethin he can smash around the yard and have a good ole time. check out local tracks in ur area to guage his interest and where it lies.

have fun

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote