Wiki Posts
Search

Battery Charging Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 08:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Battery Charging Question

I am running venom 1200 NiMh 5 cell 6v receiver packs in my cars and have been using my traxxas quick charger that came with my REVO to charge them. After getting a new pack I saw where Venom doesn't recommend that charger to charge the batteries. recently the packs have not held a charge well and went extremely low after only one 5 min heat race. I now have a Duratrax peak charger but unsure what setting I should use as the packs only say to charge @ 1 or 2 amps but 1 is best for long battery life. My question is and I have not been able to find the answer in archives: What does the mv/c value mean? That is a value that has to be set when charging and I'm unsure what to set it at. It has a range of 1 to 20mv/c.

Any help would be appreciated so that I peak charge my batteries but not damage them.

Thanks
Old 07-18-2008, 09:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xman
I am running venom 1200 NiMh 5 cell 6v receiver packs in my cars and have been using my traxxas quick charger that came with my REVO to charge them. After getting a new pack I saw where Venom doesn't recommend that charger to charge the batteries. recently the packs have not held a charge well and went extremely low after only one 5 min heat race. I now have a Duratrax peak charger but unsure what setting I should use as the packs only say to charge @ 1 or 2 amps but 1 is best for long battery life. My question is and I have not been able to find the answer in archives: What does the mv/c value mean? That is a value that has to be set when charging and I'm unsure what to set it at. It has a range of 1 to 20mv/c.

Any help would be appreciated so that I peak charge my batteries but not damage them.

Thanks
As far as charge current you can safely charge them at 1.2 amps or 1C
With mv/c (Millivolt per cell) with a NIMH you can probally use 5mv/per cell This is the point at which the charger will say the battery is fully charge. A nicad uses 10mv/c. If you use a setting lower than 5mv/c then you are under charging your battery anything over 5mv you are slightly over charging.

hope this helps

Pass you soon...
Old 07-18-2008, 09:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Thanks for the input.

Should I stick with the same 5mv/c when charging my 7.2 volt packs or go higher? Also what amperage on a 7.2 volt pack 1,2,or 3 amps?
Old 07-19-2008, 01:19 AM
Tech Lord

Small receiver packs on that charger I set to 6mV/C and a current up to 2A, no dead battery yet....

Regarding your 7.2V (racing?) packs, for NiCad you can go up to 2x its own capacity, with NiMh I would not go further than 1.5x its capacity.

With the 6mV/C it works fine for me with all kind of NiCad and NiMh batteries.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have always heard the slower you put it in the slower it comes out. So far that has worked great for all of my nitro receiver packs as far as amp rate I typically charge my 5-cell 6v packs @ .5 amps/25mv peak detection. Hope this helps.