Old 07-19-2008, 07:08 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspeed View Post
Wow James!
You have a GT RTR car now?

Why the sudden “Flip Flop” of the heart?

I guess we’ll be seeing you at the next “Spec Class” money race at SS Speedway & during the Forgass season too.

See ya in the “A-Main”
Got my name on an Ofna car when they come in. Will be running with you...
Old 07-20-2008, 07:41 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Good to hear you'll be racing GT cars with us.
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:41 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Dale,

Post the finished pictures of your latest creation

It's killing me already
Old 08-15-2008, 01:54 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm all for some new bodies for the 1/8 scale buggy based GT cars, the more choices the more interesting the races are, at least from a spectator's view.

We also need body designs that hold up well to "incidents". While the DRR9 body looks very cool, I find it does not suffer minor impacts well along the front airdam area. I'm looking for a body that has a smaller frontal area and a less flimsy edge in the front. I like scale detail but am willing to give up some for better survivability and cheaper replacement cost.

As for the rules, I've voiced my opinion in several threads. The one thing I really want to see go away is the single brand rule. I think it's imperative to open the class up to other manufactures, otherwise the class will not grow. Can you imagine any other class limited to only 1 company's products?

The other thing is that I think different engines and transmissions should be allowed with some sort of dollar cap or basic rule to keep the prices down. I also believe you should be allowed to run single speed if you wish. That would allow for many people to use their buggies if they wanted to refit them for on-road use. I could see outlawing "push" type clutches.

It should be about growing the class, allowing for a decent amount of "experimentation" while keeping costs reasonable, but not strangling it.

Heck, the GRX .28 is a ~$200 motor, not exactly the cheapest replacement. I believe the real motor issue is, .28 buggy or allowing .21 on-road. If you rule out .21 motors you've just eliminated most of the "high dollar" mills. Also, because the buggy motors don't rev as high, you will keep the speeds more reasonable for most tracks.
TA03R Cirtix 17.5 club spec
F109 Tekin 21.5
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:11 PM   #20
Tech Elite

[QUOTE=danketchpel;4742667]I'm all for some new bodies for the 1/8 scale buggy based GT cars, the more choices the more interesting the races are, at least from a spectator's view.

As for the rules, I've voiced my opinion in several threads. The one thing I really want to see go away is the single brand rule. I think it's imperative to open the class up to other manufactures, otherwise the class will not grow. Can you imagine any other class limited to only 1 company's products?QUOTE]

I think the reason for the rapid growth in the Kyosho Inferno GT Spec classes accross America is because Kyosho America actually supported the concept when the "GT" racing class was sanctioned last summer.

Now lets see if & how the new players decide to support the growth of GT racing classes.

Time to step up boys & girls
Old 08-15-2008, 03:43 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
I'm all for some new bodies for the 1/8 scale buggy based GT cars, the more choices the more interesting the races are, at least from a spectator's view.

We also need body designs that hold up well to "incidents". While the DRR9 body looks very cool, I find it does not suffer minor impacts well along the front airdam area. I'm looking for a body that has a smaller frontal area and a less flimsy edge in the front. I like scale detail but am willing to give up some for better survivability and cheaper replacement cost.

As for the rules, I've voiced my opinion in several threads. The one thing I really want to see go away is the single brand rule. I think it's imperative to open the class up to other manufactures, otherwise the class will not grow. Can you imagine any other class limited to only 1 company's products?

The other thing is that I think different engines and transmissions should be allowed with some sort of dollar cap or basic rule to keep the prices down. I also believe you should be allowed to run single speed if you wish. That would allow for many people to use their buggies if they wanted to refit them for on-road use. I could see outlawing "push" type clutches.

It should be about growing the class, allowing for a decent amount of "experimentation" while keeping costs reasonable, but not strangling it.

Heck, the GRX .28 is a ~$200 motor, not exactly the cheapest replacement. I believe the real motor issue is, .28 buggy or allowing .21 on-road. If you rule out .21 motors you've just eliminated most of the "high dollar" mills. Also, because the buggy motors don't rev as high, you will keep the speeds more reasonable for most tracks.
I can agree with you on one point: allowing the inclusion of the OFNA brand into the GT racing scene. However, I don't agree with your "lets do away with all the things I don't like" stance. The main reason why this class has been a hit thus far is that you don't have to spend a ton a dollars on the car to be competitive because all competitors basically have the same car. What has been killing classes the most is what you have been suggesting: allowing the deep-pocket racers to outspend their not-so-deep pocket opponents, unleveling the playing field thus running off racers that feel they have no chance to win/compete because they can't afford the high-dollar engines or can get "special" parts made by friends who have CNC machines. Also, the last I remember, there are already classes that accomodate much of what you want anyway. Like Jspeed has hinted, if folks don't want to run the box-stock spec class, there are two other classes (SS and Open Outlaw) that you can jump into and spend to your heart's desire at any engine/hop-up part that you can shake a dollar at. Personally, I have fun racing my car box stock, using my driving skills to try to outdrive my opponents. And, I did not have to spend a ton of money to do it. Don't forget, this is suppose to be a fun class where newbies can get there feet wet with running a nitro car that is not as fragile as a 200mm touring car and a place with a veteran like myself can race and have fun without the pressure of the high competition level of 200mm and Lola-body 1/8th scale onroad. Lets keep the fun factor in this class and not make it a serious class like all the other ones.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:46 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
if folks don't want to run the box-stock spec class, there are two other classes (SS and Open Outlaw) that you can jump into
I'm cool with optional classes. I think you missed my several "dollar cap", and "keeping cost reasonable" statements. Also the keeping out high end .21 motors.

What I'm driving at is this, if you read most of the forums relating to GT cars, about 90% of the posters have already modified their cars to some degree, various buggy motors, many different solutions to fixing Kyosho's weak 2spd trans, etc. Most are pretty cost effective upgrades for the most part. If you want these people to bring their cars out and run, they are NOT going to want to put them back to stock to run them. I feel that's where most of the "potential" racers are hiding, bashing in the parking lots (like me). I'm not knocking "box stock" as long as there is a venue for the already modded cars.

I think you get my drift.

And yes, the other manufacturers need to step up and support a unified GT class, that would give it the boost it really needs.
TA03R Cirtix 17.5 club spec
F109 Tekin 21.5
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:46 PM   #23
Tech Rookie

Default You have to be kidding !

You have to be kidding. I just put an onroad 21 JP MOD in my Inferno and you dont want to let me race what a joke .
Old 08-17-2008, 02:05 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRICTLYSPEED1 View Post
You have to be kidding. I just put an onroad 21 JP MOD in my Inferno and you dont want to let me race what a joke .
I don't think anyone is telling you you can't race with a killer on-road engine in your IGT, you just can't race a "Mustang Funny Car" against a "Showroom Stock Mustang" anywhere.

Just like in the real world of car racing, there are class rules and if you're car doesn't fit a class, you can find that class if it exists, or build you car to fit a class that really does exist.

Why would you even put such a savage & expensive engine in a $400 dollar RTR car anyway, when the best place for that beast is in an Evolva M3?
Old 08-17-2008, 05:35 PM   #25
Tech Rookie

Jeff believe it or not it is a real good motor for this car it has a strong mid to top end powerband so it comes out of a turn real nice and pulls real hard.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:48 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRICTLYSPEED1 View Post
Don't worry. Just put the stock motor back in and you'll be able to race.....no problem. Sell the 21 on-road motor and get some money in

Sorry. But if you want to put such an engine in this car you have to ask yourself why? To win? Or to just see the car go faster and see how it handles the bigger motor?

If it's the latter. Don't bother going to the races.

British Menace
Old 08-17-2008, 08:31 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Your IGT with an onroad 21 JP MOD engine must be fast.

It would be cool if someday "Open" class cars were to get dialed in for lap times almost as fast as 200mm sedans.

I've always felt there should be both classes racing these types of cars.

Just build up the Open class in your area like we've done with the Spec classes.

Thruth be told, I'd like to drive that beast of yours Strictly Speed, but I don't thinks the Spec crew would let me race with it.