R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-01-2003, 08:43 PM   #31
Tech Adept

I only know a little about nitrous, but from what I do know, the Di-nitrogen oxide molicule splits inside your motor once it reaches a certin temperature. The Oxygen molicule burns in your combustion chamber allong with the extra fule to make more HP.

The second part is the fact that N20 in a gasious state is at below zero temperatures, and helps cool the intake system alowing for a denser intake charge that will in general make more HP because of more oxygen.

The whole point to the system is to get a way to burn more gas, and to burn more gas without waisting it is to add more oxygen to the equation, via forced induction or N20.
JPHRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 08:45 PM   #32
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to corvettecrazy

NO2

double the oxygen and add nitrogen (an explosive gas that burns quickly) and you get extra power
corvettecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 10:13 PM   #33
Tech Adept

dan no joke here 84 Rx-7 347ford.
B patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 11:00 PM   #34
Tech Fanatic

Default He only knows a little!

JPH; Iv'e asked this same question at least 30 times and you are the only one who has given me the right answer! I'm very impressed Way ta go!!!
HELLION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 01:40 AM   #35
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by B patterson
dan no joke here 84 Rx-7 347ford.
Nice, but I still like rotaries. Quite a few guys over at the RX7 forum with V8 swaps. Nothing like having low end torque at disposal though.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 02:14 AM   #36
Tech Fanatic

Default Rotaries

Well iI don't know much about rotarie engines but to me it's hard to beat the sound of a full race Chev mill with the headers open ! I guess that's why I have to run a nitro car. Electric cars just dont do it for me! And for the guys that wanted to see the nos blower engines I built I found a bunch of pics from my shop and will take some of my cobra. It has a nos. pro race fogger and two 10
pound bottles (my neighbors are going to love this one)
Any way I'll try to get them up this week.... L8r
Old 09-03-2003, 01:37 AM   #37
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan

I hope that last comment is a joke...

yeah!!!rotary powered mazda!!!
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 09:04 PM   #38
Tech Adept

Lightbulb ntc3

does any one kno if this will fit in a ntc3
mtx3racer869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 06:43 AM   #39
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

There's a possibility that there isn't a need to richen the mixture via the high speed needle... We don't have fuel pumps, we rely on exhaust pressure to feed fuel... I'm going to make a guess that the increased pressure to the tank will indeed push more fuel past the needle. Plus remember, Nitro engine's are very inefficient, you're blowing a lot of unburnt fuel out the exhaust pipe...

Water injection is also very good for keeping carbon from depositing on the piston and chamber...
vtl1180ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 11:38 PM   #40
Tech Adept

Our motors rely more on crank vaccume then exhaust presssure. Exhaust pressure does very little for our motors. The extra pressure will help, but not enough that it would take care of the overly lean situation. Look at all the videos on the website. They at the most will not run the truck for anymore then a sec or two with the N20. Allmost all smoke disapears from the pipe, and just the sound of the motor tells you that its sagging a good amount on top end.
JPHRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 10:06 AM   #41
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to noobatron
Cool hey, just joined

Hi,

I've been reading your forums for quite some time now and it's EXTREMELY helpful to say that least. hell i even got myself a munan modded motor! Anyways, i've just joined so hey guys, wassup?

BTW, i highly doubt NOS would work on our nitro engines. We would seriously need to retard the ignition to compensate for the increase combustion rate, so how are we gonna do that with GLOW plugs? we can't technically change the plugs while the car is running...
Fuel is also needed, as N2O combusts, it releases oxygen and as we all know, oxygen provides the energy for fuel to burn. Increase O2 would require and increase in fuel. as you guys pointed out, you would need greater fuel to air ratio, how will that be achieved?

neways, just my 2c
noobatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 10:06 PM   #42
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to 2mcgrath Send a message via Yahoo to 2mcgrath

i think this would just be more hassle than its worth...your engine is gonna wear out way quicker which defeats the purpose
2mcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 04:51 AM   #43
Tech Fanatic

Default Don't think so JPH

Nitro engines don't just blow out smoke! Have you ever removed the muffler and see the power drop? Most think the power loss is lack of fuel pressher. Even so. That is not the main cause of the loss in power this can be proven by using a airplane fuel pump to compensate and if you went threw all this trouble you would find that it still is down on power and just makes alot of noise! For a two cycle engine to have max output it has to have a certain amount of back pressher. Many hours go into designing mufflers with the major gole being power not noise reduction. The most important part of the muffler is the reducing wall infront of the outlet pipe. It literally sends a fairley big portion of unburnt fuel back into the engine. However you are right as far as the 2 cycle engines being one of if not the worst engines when it comes to efficiency!!!
Old 10-22-2003, 09:29 AM   #44
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to noobatron
Default Re: Don't think so JPH

Quote:
Originally posted by HELLION
Nitro engines don't just blow out smoke! Have you ever removed the muffler and see the power drop? Most think the power loss is lack of fuel pressher. Even so. That is not the main cause of the loss in power this can be proven by using a airplane fuel pump to compensate and if you went threw all this trouble you would find that it still is down on power and just makes alot of noise! For a two cycle engine to have max output it has to have a certain amount of back pressher. Many hours go into designing mufflers with the major gole being power not noise reduction. The most important part of the muffler is the reducing wall infront of the outlet pipe. It literally sends a fairley big portion of unburnt fuel back into the engine. However you are right as far as the 2 cycle engines being one of if not the worst engines when it comes to efficiency!!!
Thanx for that HELLION.
Can i also get your input on an idea i came up with while cleaning my fish tank (i have 2 of the most expensive hobbies out there, NITRO RC and TROPICAL FISH, so i'm litterally eating 2 mins noodles and selling organs to keep up with the dough). With aquariums, you have a device called a 'checkvalve' which goes into the air pump line and prevents water (if ur air pump stops working) from travelling up the air line and into ur air pump. it's small, round all has a piece of rubber, shaped like a roof with a slit in it. while air can pass through, once you blow in the opposite direction(ie into the air pump direction as opposed to air comming out from the air pump), the rubber is forced together and prevents air comming in... gee what a dodge explanination...

well the idea is that if i can use that on the exhaust pressure line from the tune pipe to the tank, i can theoryatically keep the fuel tank pressurized (not letting air out) when i jump off the throttle. would this increase performance in any way?

just a thought ...
noobatron is offline   Reply With Quote