R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-23-2003, 10:31 AM   #16
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: R/C Nitrous kit only $125

Quote:
Originally posted by poolman51
coolman but does this work"s .. any effect on engine???
Yeah. It kills it quicker.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 01:39 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to fraz

If you really want more power and don't care about your motor too much, just put in a few drops of propylene oxide.

Warning: richen up the carb a bunch before trying this or you may just break the head bolts

Double warning: This is some really nasty stuff so use all protective gear, cautions, yada, yada...

http://www.nsc.org/library/chemical/propyle0.htm
fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 02:02 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by fraz
If you really want more power and don't care about your motor too much, just put in a few drops of propylene oxide.

Warning: richen up the carb a bunch before trying this or you may just break the head bolts

Double warning: This is some really nasty stuff so use all protective gear, cautions, yada, yada...

http://www.nsc.org/library/chemical/propyle0.htm
Misle fuel!!!!!!!!!!!!
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 04:56 PM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you smoke all you have to do is put a few drops of blood on your tank Or just breath into your tank

This is your engine with that stuff

Thanks,

Steven Muller
MPP
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 09:28 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Quote:
Here I will discuss the basics of how our nitrous system works. Please refer to the pictures below. First off the nitrous system can be setup either on a third channel (as in the picture) or on the throttle servo. When the servo rotates the actuator screw nitrous is released, and is plumbed through our injection tube where it is fed to the injection tee. From there it is mixed with incoming air and fed down the carb and into the crank case. At that point it makes it's way into the combustion chamber and boost occurs! This sounds like a lot of steps but it happens VERY quickly! Now as more power is produced the exhaust is coming out more rapidly, and with a lot more force due to the nitrous being burned. This in turn cause exhaust pressure to go up, thus increasing fuel line pressure, which increases fuel tank pressure. We found that while running wide open throttle with nitrous you will burn 64.31% more fuel than running wide open throttle without nitrous. This is how the extra fuel is added while running with nitrous! The mixture settings stay the same as they would without nitrous! Well that about covers the basics of our system, if you have any questions feel free to email me at: [email protected]
Interesting how he claims that the needle settings do not need to be changed due to increased tank pressurisation. Any comments? Mayby the lid will blow open from pressure then the motor will go lean?
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 12:09 AM   #21
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to sausage_link

the needle will restrict the extra pressure so it goes somewhere esle....
sausage_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 12:41 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Default R/C Nitrous kit only $125

Guys;

Nitrous Oxide is an Oxidizer. For this reason you MUST add extra fuel to correct the Air-Fuel ratio, otherwise damage will result to the engine.
The same goes with Blowers and Turbos that Force more Air into an Engine.

There are many other things to take into consideration and just adding some straight Nitrous Oxide to an R/C Engine is an invitation to disaster.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 08:26 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Default Rule of thumb

I would have to agree! laughing gas can add alot of power at once but can also cause tremendous damage if its not flowed properly! It takes a mili.second to blow a engine. The trick is to never flow more nitrous then fuel at any given point . I have installed many go fast gas systems on real race engines and they must be compensated by some sort of piggyback sys. IE micro fuelers or even water injectoin to slow the burn rate down And these systems require complicated control modules to run them along with some sort of failsafe devices to shut the nitrous off should there be a problem. Bottem line is I just don't think it would be feasible to use nitrous on a RC car or truck. Too much extra weight even the nitrous gas itself is heavy and it could only be used in short burst so it really doesen't make much sence to attempt it.
HELLION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 04:58 AM   #24
Tech Adept

Previous comments have said it all...

But still, it's a crime to leave fools alone and not take their money, if you can And there are plenty of fools out there who don't care about more than bragging rights. NOS is a killer in this area
olev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 11:02 AM   #25
Tech Adept

Hellion how would a water injection system work with nitrous?
I have herd of it benig used on draw through turbos to cool the intake charge but with a nitrous system the nitrous provides the cooling. normaly would would compensate with extra fuel or some other type of liquid (i forget what) that has simmalir proerites as gas.
B patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 12:21 PM   #26
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Some people have done water injection in place of intercoolers. It sprays a water mist in the intake tract and it evaporates and soaks heat at the same time. So the air going into the engine is more cold.

Basically its used to reduce intake temps just as an intercooler would do. Too high of an intake temp, and the chance of detonation is increased. Nitrous can work fine with that setup but only as long as it has more fuel for the increased air mixture. (as others have mentioned.)

BTW, that nitrous oxide for RC engines is a joke IMHO...
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 06:07 PM   #27
Tech Adept

hey dan you mention you still need more fuel and the water only cools. but the nitrous provides the cooling and I belive thats where most of the power comes from.

Ditch the rotor for a real motor.
B patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 06:52 PM   #28
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

You forget that the injection of nitrous oxide in an engine means more oxygen is there for combustion. But with that increased air, you need fuel to compensate or you will be running lean for that period of time. However, you are right that it does help cool in the air intake as well but it doesn't mean you can forget about the supporting fuel. (For bigger shots of nitrous oxide especially.)

I hope that last comment is a joke...

EDIT: I just read your post near the top and realized I have stated the same stuff. Not understanding what you're getting at though.

Last edited by Dan; 09-01-2003 at 07:01 PM.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 07:03 PM   #29
Tech Fanatic

Default OOOPPPSSS

MY BAD GUYS! I built alot of blower motors with nitrous and was trying to remember the piggybacks that I had to install to make it all work together! The water injection sys. main purpose was to slow the burn rate down to compensate for the blowers wanting to cause detonation in the chambers. As a mater of fact, I built boxes with a manafold air pressure sensor to cut the water off at 9 lbs of boost which was the same time the nitrous came in (WOT)... The micro fuelers also ran off a (M.A.P) sensor to bring the extra fuel needed for the nitrous. And lets not forget the secondary fuel pump that was hooked up to the nitrous arming switch to provide the extra fuel needed! I could go on but this is problably boring the hell outa you ! I have pics of the engines if you would like to see them. I hope this clears this up! Sorry, I had a long day of racing and was a little tired when I wrote that post.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:40 PM   #30
Tech Fanatic

Default Also

There are some pretty sharp minds in here but do you really know how nitrous works? Keeping in mind that its very cold when its presser released and its not even flamable! So the question is how does this provide so much extra power? I'll give you a clue It does have to do with oxygen....