R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-14-2008, 07:56 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to jigga21
Default URGENT---->Need help with HUDY tire truer

I bought a Hudy Excellent tire truer online but I'm not sure if it's functioning correctly. I'll describe it for you all and hopefully someone can tell me if it's ok or not.

I switched it on and it appears to work fine meaning it goes from left to right and back again. Fine everything is ok with that, but when I try to switch it back to move again to the right from the farmost starting position, it didn't move and the wheel didn't spin. So I clicked the switch back to neutral and then back to move right and it moved.

Q1. Is it normal it to not move right away after completing a full cycle?

During the move right across the tire, when it was a few mm past the tire, I flicked the switch to make it move back to the left and the wheel started stuttering and didn't have the smooth rotation it normally has.

Q2. Is it possible that I switch it too fast in reverse?

Please all answer as much as possible as I only have a few days to return it. Thanks.
jigga21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:08 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to motojon

#2 no i dont think you fliped it to soon sometimes itll doo that because of the rubber getting on the screw you shouldnt have to flip it to come back
#1 that is normal mines an older version and it does the same thing it like a reset for the system
motojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:22 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojon View Post
#2 no i dont think you fliped it to soon sometimes itll doo that because of the rubber getting on the screw you shouldnt have to flip it to come back
#1 that is normal mines an older version and it does the same thing it like a reset for the system
motojon - thanks for the answer. I didn't set up the travel length so when it passed the tire i didn't want to wait for it to go all the way to the end so I flipped the switch to reverse it and it started the stutter. I stopped it, started it again and it stuttered again. Once more I did the same and it worked normally.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:04 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Check here too.

http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...7&kategoria=62
Nitro-mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:14 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I just got one of these truers, what power supplys do you guys recomend to use
CREWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:31 PM   #6
Tech Adept

I'm using this one - Ofna Power Supply 9-14V 18A 110AC - trying to figure out if that is the problem.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:35 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Try using the battery on your car, or a larger power supply and see if that solves your problem. I have had stuttering problems when using a power supply that is too small. I would not use a supply that has less than 30 amps.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:51 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher View Post
Try using the battery on your car, or a larger power supply and see if that solves your problem. I have had stuttering problems when using a power supply that is too small. I would not use a supply that has less than 30 amps.
Scott had it. I was about to reply when I saw this. I used my portable power supply and it worked like a charm. I thought the power supply put out more power but when i checked the specs the light bulb came on. Thanks guys, I can sleep easy now.

At least people know later if someone new has this problem.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:07 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher View Post
ditto.... run it off a 12v car battery for best results. Most power supplies do not supply a steady enough current when the truer experiences a good load when cutting. My generator even gives my Hudy fits when running it off the 12v line because it is only rated at 15a of current.
BYRON'S FUEL/TWISTER TIRES
cdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:13 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

yea i was reading the manual and it say at least 25 amps 14-16v!
CREWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:41 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

You can run a truer from a lower amp power supply (like 15)

anyway, slow down the speed of the side to side motion if you are on less than a car battery and you will still get a good cut. The fastest speed puts quite a bit of strain if you're cutting 2-3mm of tire off.

https://ActivRC.com http://TeamPowersUSA.net https://www.1upracing.com/ http://TeamAssociated.com
Brian Bosley is offline   Reply With Quote