R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-17-2008, 09:06 PM   #1186
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcg33k View Post
I personally think it was a huge mistake to plan on changing tires. TCs don't have quick-change hubs (thankfully), so it's pretty time consuming to change tires. I don't think you can make up the time, and like S&S said, you have to be ready for the engine to stall - they don't like to idle for that long. Someone should have talked him out of it - it cost him the race. Sure, he wouldn't have been as fast, but he also wouldn't have given up so much track position. That's racing.

Until they start awarding championships based on hero laps, it's still a contest of who can lead at the end of 60 minutes, and Ielasi and crew had the best program. All the "ifs" and "buts" don't matter now - If Tosolini didn't run out of fuel, if Groskamp didn't flame out, but Lemieux had the fastest laps... blah, blah, blah.
This my thoughts. Paul was fast, if his engine did not flame out, who knows, he might win it. Daniele was fairly fast and consistent, his engine did not flame out and he won.

There is alot of 'Ifs' and 'Buts' at the end of day, what matters most is the driver who had his strategy worked. There is no "best strategy". I would say that all the drivers had their "best strategy" to win.

Not winning is not the end of the world but to learn and improve the next time round.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:22 PM   #1187
Tech Elite

Congrats Mr Ielasi...World Champion 08....!!!!

Now get ready for FEMCA this year....
Ipoh Remote Control Fan Club..IRCFC
frame_pinjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 11:59 PM   #1188
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by frame_pinjam View Post
Congrats Mr Ielasi...World Champion 08....!!!!

Now get ready for FEMCA this year....
He going meh? Maybe can catch him in Hong Kong for the Picco Cup!
Old 08-18-2008, 12:38 AM   #1189
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arahawak View Post
This my thoughts. Paul was fast, if his engine did not flame out, who knows, he might win it. Daniele was fairly fast and consistent, his engine did not flame out and he won.

There is alot of 'Ifs' and 'Buts' at the end of day, what matters most is the driver who had his strategy worked. There is no "best strategy". I would say that all the drivers had their "best strategy" to win.

Not winning is not the end of the world but to learn and improve the next time round.
What I find so amazing about this race, is how Daniele contemplated a strategy that he thought would work for him and then 100% stuck to it.

As you could see at the beginning of the race he was falling back to last place and on RedRc he stated that he let all the guys go to conserve his tires.

I con only imagine how hard it is in a WC final to let everybody pass you and keep doing your own thing. I know I couldn't.

Then again, when Hudy was charging, Daniele's lap times stayed consistent and I was thinking, why is he not attacking him.
Thing is that Hudy used up his tires in those ten minutes and in the end couldn't go the same lap times as Daniele anymore.

I suppose, that if Paul's tire change would have worked out normally, that he would have been right there at the end with Daniele, but looking at his car and the tires he had left, he would have been able to put up a very hard fight with Paul. But this is speculation since we will never know.

But this kind of race management is what makes these guys so good.

Collari is even a tiny bit better with those things.

I am really looking forward to the 1:8th WC next year at the gorgeous, huge and very fuel consuming Lostallo track. That's gonna be another epic battle and I live only 3 hours from there
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:18 AM   #1190
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

In Cordoba it was Tosolini who also decided not to change tires. Almost his decission worked out but in the last 10 minutes his laptimes became a lot slower...
Old 08-18-2008, 02:30 AM   #1191
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Thing is that Hudy used up his tires in those ten minutes and in the end couldn't go the same lap times as Daniele anymore.
I think you are correct about Danieles tire strategy, but Martin was fueling every 4:30 and Daniele 5 min, so he know Martin have to stop one more time.
Martins laptimes was quite equal to Danieles. I also beleve Paul vent in for a splash and dash the last minute.
Anders Myrberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:11 AM   #1192
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
In Cordoba it was Tosolini who also decided not to change tires. Almost his decission worked out but in the last 10 minutes his laptimes became a lot slower...
Cordoba or Brisbane? You are talking abt the last 200mm Worlds right?
Old 08-18-2008, 03:14 AM   #1193
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
I con only imagine how hard it is in a WC final to let everybody pass you and keep doing your own thing. I know I couldn't.

But this kind of race management is what makes these guys so good.

Collari is even a tiny bit better with those things.
I agreed that so far the best race management done and shown is by Collari.

I would have panicked if everybody passed me during the finals..
Old 08-18-2008, 03:30 AM   #1194
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Quote:
The 1/8 worlds last year
Old 08-18-2008, 04:53 AM   #1195
Tech Elite

Quote:
Or was that in Sao Paolo? I think Toso and Shimo were the only ones who did not change tyres back then, everybody else did.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:55 AM   #1196
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Speedypeterb

toso said that it wasn't the decision of not changing tires last year but the car was undergeared and when the tires got small (last ten minutes) is when it started to show.
Speedypeterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:34 AM   #1197
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sow&Steady View Post
and be ready for that engine stall. It was too hot when it stalled (because the car was stationary while the tyres were changed) and I saw the pit crew struggling to re-start the engine.
And they didn't put on the glow battery during this tire change?.....
Old 08-18-2008, 09:59 AM   #1198
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedypeterb View Post
toso said that it wasn't the decision of not changing tires last year but the car was undergeared and when the tires got small (last ten minutes) is when it started to show.
Just some info...Chris drives hard but very smooth and there-by is easy on his tires....I don't think he will ever change tires in a main unless the track is very abrasive or he is way ahead...
I think Paul made the right decision, it wasn't the tire change that cost him it was the engine stall that cost him the race because he had the best car..
Even in this race after losing 1+ minute at the 10 minute mark and 4+ laps Chris was still running 19.0 the last few laps of the race.
A lot of times during the race you must change your thinking as he had to do in San Paulo...Bertin was much superior so he had to roll the dice as Shimo did.
In Brisbane it was just the antenna issue which cause him to have the glitching problem...without the wasted time trying to fix the problem and the stop and goes he would have been OK even if his laps fell because his car was just better than the rest and he would have been so much farther ahead...
In Cordoba Chris was ia bit undergeared and the rims they had for the final were very tight and he felt he would have lost to much time to Collari so he rolled the dice....
Congradulation to Daniele as he ran a mistake free run, and the fasest car doesn't always win it is the combination that makes the fewest mistakes...in this race it was Mr. Lelasi and he deserved the WIN...
It's called racing and as Chris said after the race "same old shit" something always bites him that he can't control but he will keep trying and someday he will have his day.....
Thankfully the US team looked very good and I believe their time to shine will come very soon.
Can't wait for Lostallo next year what a hugh track.
Go USA
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:51 AM   #1199
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Congrats to Toso and Paulie for there efforts in the main. I know its not the results they were looking for, but they were there till the end and are sure to claim there spots on the podium in the near future. Hopefully in 2010 the 200mm worlds can be held at 301 Raceway and the boys can show what we got then!
Dreddlox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:13 AM   #1200
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The US drivers have been right their for the win, in the last 6 worlds 1/10th and 1/8th. Josh, Toso, Mikey, Ralph, and their is more to the list than that, sometimes in racin for whatever reason the fastest dont always win, But the Us drivers time is coming i believe! I cant wait tell their here in the states again, so i could see it in person. Their is great drivers all over the world, and i thank them all for the shows they put on, and this great hobby that we are all in!
J-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote