R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-17-2008, 02:51 PM   #1171
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by gansei View Post
i am already waiting for the VIDEO.

the 2008 IFMAR A-main race will be very interesting race!
Just got home Gansei, but this morning at 3am I posted a "teaser" video.

Will start transferring tapes to PC and start editing ...
Old 08-17-2008, 02:55 PM   #1172
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallyman View Post
Hey, I got a question for anyone that was in Lisbon, how many of the drivers in the finals stopped for a tire change, did anyone go the distance without one?

Steve
Only one ...Paul. This was why his lap times were faster, he was running softer tyres. To be honest I think he (and Barry, pit team) made the right decision but you DO need to change tyres as fast as possible and be ready for that engine stall. It was too hot when it stalled (because the car was stationary while the tyres were changed) and I saw the pit crew struggling to re-start the engine.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:04 PM   #1173
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

I know that Toso is Toso... But what kind of tires was he running? He was as fast as Paul and didnt make a tire change....
Old 08-17-2008, 03:18 PM   #1174
Tech Adept

I personally think it was a huge mistake to plan on changing tires. TCs don't have quick-change hubs (thankfully), so it's pretty time consuming to change tires. I don't think you can make up the time, and like S&S said, you have to be ready for the engine to stall - they don't like to idle for that long. Someone should have talked him out of it - it cost him the race. Sure, he wouldn't have been as fast, but he also wouldn't have given up so much track position. That's racing.

Until they start awarding championships based on hero laps, it's still a contest of who can lead at the end of 60 minutes, and Ielasi and crew had the best program. All the "ifs" and "buts" don't matter now - If Tosolini didn't run out of fuel, if Groskamp didn't flame out, but Lemieux had the fastest laps... blah, blah, blah. None of it matters. I was pulling for Chris but Daniel just did a better job of being there when it counted the most. Congrats to the Daniel, Kyosho and Picco.
rcg33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:24 PM   #1175
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riketsu View Post
... But what kind of tires was he running? ...
Matrix
Old 08-17-2008, 03:35 PM   #1176
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by playerdd View Post
Matrix
Meant shore... Soft? Hard? Medium???
Old 08-17-2008, 04:00 PM   #1177
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Congrats to IDM and PICCO on their world championship, im shure they both spent a lot of time on prep for this race!
J-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:01 PM   #1178
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcg33k View Post
I personally think it was a huge mistake to plan on changing tires. TCs don't have quick-change hubs (thankfully), so it's pretty time consuming to change tires. I don't think you can make up the time, and like S&S said, you have to be ready for the engine to stall - they don't like to idle for that long. Someone should have talked him out of it - it cost him the race. Sure, he wouldn't have been as fast, but he also wouldn't have given up so much track position. That's racing.
Itīs so easy to have the right strategy. After the race.
Anders Myrberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:17 PM   #1179
Tech Adept

I've been involved in enough high-level touring car races and have tried it myself. I speak from personal experience that I accumulated BEFORE the race. But hey, thanks anyway for your condescending, A-hole remarks. Go rub one out and get rid of some of that tension - you need it.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:22 PM   #1180
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcg33k View Post
I've been involved in enough high-level touring car races and have tried it myself. I speak from personal experience that I accumulated BEFORE the race. But hey, thanks anyway for your condescending, A-hole remarks. Go rub one out and get rid of some of that tension - you need it.
I don't disagree with you about the strategy but I wouldn't be calling someone else a condescending a-hole when you are the one criticizing someone that nearly won the worlds.

Ielasi won, so he had the best strategy.

Maybe Paul's car just didn't work on big hard tires so he decided to take a chance and do a change. If so, his strategy was the best for him just not enough to win it.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:31 PM   #1181
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Ielasi won, so he had the best strategy.
I would say his equipment and mind was in topcondition.

The Sirio guys had some staling engines and gain some frustrations as some others wrecked the car or engine. Ielasi did not run into heavy problems and that why he won.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:45 PM   #1182
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Speedypeterb
Default tire change

I pit for chris here in florida and he always plans on not changing tires for the main. he usually runs soft tires in qualifiers and puts on hard tires for the main with no set up changes and just drives the car. which not all top drivers can do thats why they change the tires.
Speedypeterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:55 PM   #1183
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
I don't disagree with you about the strategy but I wouldn't be calling someone else a condescending a-hole when you are the one criticizing someone that nearly won the worlds.
Wingracer, you impress me as one of the very rare logical and level-headed people on the forum, so I respect your opinion, but I was simply offering MY opinion. I also have a lot of respect for Lemieux and fully believe that he felt that was his best strategy, and probably all for legitimate reasons. It's my OPINION however, and last time I checked, that's allowed here. Myberg's post, however, offered nothing of substance. It was only intended to marginalize my opinion. He didn't offer anything substantive as a counterpoint, or point out anything (like you did) that provides another perspective on why he might have opted for a tire change. It's a purely condescending remark, so maybe you and I will have to disagree on this point.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:58 PM   #1184
Tech Apprentice

Default World Champions

Congrats to our manufacturer ATS for winning the
2008 Sedan World Championships!!!!
Daniel great job, Piero/Christina all the hard work to produce a great product has paid off
GO ATS/TwisterTires!!

twistertiresusa.com
Kevin Hutchinson
TwisterProduct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 06:58 PM   #1185
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Sorry rcg33k, I just didn't find his remark condescending. Then again, he was not commenting about me so what do I know.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote