R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-16-2008, 01:11 AM   #601
Tech Rookie

Default Rules

The rule does not need to be re-written it is very clear. The maximum dimension of the stinger is 5.2mm Therefore if at any point the stinger exceeds this it is illegal. Simple really.

The definition of what a stinger is has not changed to my knowledge in the last say 20 30 or even 40 years.

The rule is also exceedingly clear in regards to the drawings. If the pipe is different to the drawings it is illegal. Simple really

On both counts the pipe is illegal an inelligible to be used.

The problem in regards to DQ would be when the protest was lodged. If it was after the cars had been approved through scrutineering then how do you prove that was the pipe used. It may well be obvious that it was but unfortunately it is to late to actually prove it. The driver could say he only just put it on and everyone would know that this is not true but you cannot prove it. Hence unable to DQ.

Pipe at WC have been abused since day one of homologation. There are many instances particularly with the European team drivers where the noise from their cars was massively louder during qualifying than during the finals day. Because on the final day they feared having their pipes cut open. This has happened many times over many WC.

The problem now will be that EFRA who now basically control IFMAR particularly at a nitro level, will use this situation to their advantage again in regards to rules and homolodgation of pipes. They have done this before, as they love to money grab and manipulate.

Get someone to tell the story of the Serpent pipe that suddenly appeared as an approved item at the 1989 Worlds that was a copy of the Paris pipe as but one example of EFRA manipulating (illegally) an approval system.
Possibly the person involved in this situation is the same person now in charge of pipe homologation in EFRA (still) and Nitro section of IFMAR.

What needs to be watched is that we don't end up with the current EFRA rules for 1/8th scale pipes for the next 1/8th scale Worlds, as even the EFRA manufacturers do not appear to be particulalry supportive of these new EFRA pipe rules.

There is little doubt that EFRA will attempt to manipulate this situation to achieve this outcome.

Don't forget EFRA is the host bloc for this event and it is their fault through poor scrutineering that this situation has arisen as they would have supplied the scrutineer.

Afterall it would seem that Sirio has used this pipe for sometime. Why wasn't it picked up at European Champs for instance.

Does anyone know if the initial protest was passed to the International Jury ?
Or was it kept in house and only discussed at the Official Section meeting.
As this would be a telling point, towards IFMAR/EFRA's approach to the problem.

With a protest this important it should have gone straight to the International Jury to decide there and then at the track. I have a feeling however that this would not have happened, knowing the way the EFRA officials are loathe to call Jury meetings as they cannot determine the result. But I would love and hope to be proved wrong.

Just my 2 cents worth

Last edited by MugenWrecker; 08-16-2008 at 02:31 AM.
MugenWrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:23 AM   #602
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

IFMAR RULE 4.4
The use of a non-homologated, modified homologated muffler will constitute
disqualification from the event
. The disqualified driver will be placed on the last position of
the final qualifying results and/or the last position of the final positions’ results and he will
be noted as a disqualification.

RULES:
5.8.2 The muffler have to bear their homologation numbers during the entire competition.
The mufflers’ measurements (both internally and externally) have to conform with those
on the homologation sheet issued by IFMAR

5.8.3 Mufflers can be checked and may be cut open at the completion of a qualifying heat
and/or final and checked for compliance with homologation drawings submitted to
IFMAR.

5.8.4 Mufflers may be homologated by ROAR,EFRA, FEMCA or FAMAR up to four (4) months
before the event. Mufflers homologated in the four (4) month period before the event will
not be included on the IFMAR Muffler Lists for that event.

5.8.5 The IFMAR Muffler List will be published on the IFMAR website and Organizer’s website
two (2) months prior to the event.

5.8.6 The IFMAR Muffler list , with detailed drawings, must be available in Technical Control.

5.8.7 The outlet or tailpipe of the muffler must project horizontally or downward. No upward or
vertical exhaust outlets are allowed.
Tail pipe maximum internal diameter* 5.20mm. (That means, if you want it to be conical, it can be 5.2 mm at the widest point, not at the narrowest)
Tail pipe minimum length 10.00mm.
∗ This dimension includes a tolerance to account for manufacturing variations in
commercially available tubing.
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:35 AM   #603
Tech Rookie

Default So ?

Stefan is your post in response to mine ?
If so what is you point with your lovely highlighting ?
MugenWrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:09 AM   #604
Tech Initiate

Appearingly, IFMAR made a questionable decission on the case. However, we can discuss left and right it will not make a change.

I am hoping, that the matter will not leave any bitter taste on the event and as well as on the results of the Sirio Drivers.

I have seen the pipe today in some cars on our local track. Well, we do have a race coming up next weekend. Guessing, that might result in interesting discussions as the pipe is currently not homologated. Worst scenario might be that the guys need to invest in some new pipes for the time beeing...

Cheers
Tom
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:11 AM   #605
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugenWrecker View Post
Stefan is your post in response to mine ?
If so what is you point with your lovely highlighting ?
No, my post is not in response to yours.

You don't like my lovely high lighting?

I was just trying to post the actual rules concerning the current incident at the WC and I high lighted what I thought might be the important points that apply to the situation.

I can change the color of the high lighting though, if you wish.. (j/K)
Old 08-16-2008, 02:21 AM   #606
Tech Addict

I know the pipe's are the big story now but can anyone tell me why Ifmar does'nt prep the track?
carkillaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:26 AM   #607
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by carkillaii View Post
I know the pipe's are the big story now but can anyone tell me why Ifmar does'nt prep the track?
Nitro tracks in Europe are usually never prepped. On most tracks it's even forbidden to use any kind of traction additive.

I would asume though, that they got excellent traction by know
Old 08-16-2008, 03:14 AM   #608
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to c1 racin Send a message via AIM to c1 racin Send a message via Yahoo to c1 racin

Anyone else having problems with the site .... ?
c1 racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 03:15 AM   #609
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to Ryan41

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1 racin View Post
Anyone else having problems with the site .... ?
yeah, it is really crap..wont load for me..
Yokomo DRB drifter for the missus.
Ryan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 03:23 AM   #610
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to c1 racin Send a message via AIM to c1 racin Send a message via Yahoo to c1 racin

got it up now .... copy and paste this link ..... can't just click it but i don't understand why ....

http://www.myrcm.ch/myrcm/main?pLa=en&hId=evt&dId[E]=1144&dId=&pSr=1
Old 08-16-2008, 03:26 AM   #611
Tech Addict

From RedRC

The start of the final day of the 2008 IFMAR 1:10 200mm World Championships has been delayed for a second time as the rain has started to fail again. The warm-up had just started for the 1/4 Final B but the rain started to fall and the session was abandoned.

Racing, which was due to get underway at 10:00, had already been delayed by 15 minutes due to early morning drizzle at a very overcast Monsanto track.

Now I haven't given my 2 on the pipe issue, because it doesn't really matter what I think. However IF today gets rained out ..... would they use the Qualifying list to name the winner??? .... and IF so ..... how BIG would the issue be then ....
Old 08-16-2008, 03:35 AM   #612
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan41 View Post
yeah, it is really crap..wont load for me..
I had the online stream running the entire day yesterday without a single hiccup.

It seems that it works better with Firefox than with IE.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:54 AM   #613
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
I had the online stream running the entire day yesterday without a single hiccup.

It seems that it works better with Firefox than with IE.
IE's crap... safari hooooooo
Old 08-16-2008, 04:07 AM   #614
Tech Addict

Anyone know if the Matrix tyre and the K-Factory tyre are the same just badged differently?
Old 08-16-2008, 04:12 AM   #615
Tech Master

they look more like the ATS tyres than Kfactory