R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-05-2002, 03:32 AM   #1081
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to ozzie boy Send a message via AIM to ozzie boy Send a message via Yahoo to ozzie boy

hey hooked_on i got a ntc3 on thursday and i love it
the clutch is a bit smaller than the pull start one.
yeah iv been hearing alot about the fragile stuff but it aint realy true.....the front bumper is the only fragile thing. yesterday at my trac there was another ntc3 with a rossi rs12s3 in it and it hit some kids bike that was too close to the track at full speed and didnt break anything except for the kids spoke on the wheel, but he got what he deserved after beign told not go go so close.

what engine are you thinking of getting anyway?
ozzie boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 03:40 AM   #1082
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by hooked_on

BBntc3:

Thanks for your response. So apart from the difference in the height of the engine mounts, the flywheel is the same? I guess i can just machine the mounts down to the same height as the non pullstart. I live in Australia, and getting Kyosho parts is very easy (that was my main reason for getting the v1r a year ago), assosicated parts have been hard to get up till now and will most likley still have to get parts from the state? I have heard storys from people in Australia that the Tc3 nitro is fragile and this is why people have not been keen to get them and also that they have limited camber change compared to either the Kyosho or the mugen and that the motor is on the wrong side? Once i heard that "Motorman" had one, i just had to follow suit , now i only have to get Amgracer to follow suit

Any thoughts or comments?
Like somebody else mentioned, it's a damn fast car and will last in the mains provided your driving skills are excellent enough to avoid any crashes.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 04:38 AM   #1083
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan
Default Supermugen

put small srub screws in each of the the holes in each of the flywheights.
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 08:32 AM   #1084
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang
Default Rear Toe-links!!!

Hello guys,

Well I got my NTC3 absolutely dialed this weekend. The asphalt track was just sealed and when it came in, man did my car fly. TQ by a lap, car went exactly where I wanted it and i could go flat out through big sweepers and car was planted!!! In other words-a perfect handling car for the first time-EVER!!! My TQ was fast enough for 6th place in the 1/8th 4wd A-main!!!!

But-in the third qualifier I switched "brand" of front tires, but kept shore the same. Big mistake-Car went loose big time and I tapped a board and-yup-copmpressed the rear toe links so that I had toe out on one rear wheel. There ended my perfect car. I changed front tires and car got better in practice before mains, but car had a tweak that I could not resolve before the mian and car was still FAST, but very hard to drive in left hand corners. Hence-unpredictable handling and more compressed rear-toe links. Our boards are all very heavy 2 x 4's usually pinned down or bolted together-they dont move much!!!

To make a very long story short-I am going to solve the rear toe link problem once and for all!!!! And once I know what it is-you'll know!!!!. Stupid toe links!!!!

If anyone wants the set-up for a sealed asphalt-large super fast track that is slightly bumpy-let me know!!!
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 09:33 AM   #1085
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Rear Toe-links!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by rayhuang
To make a very long story short-I am going to solve the rear toe link problem once and for all!!!! And once I know what it is-you'll know!!!!. Stupid toe links!!!!
That's one of the NTC3's weaknesses. If somebody were to bump you from the back, I think you would have same problems.

Anyway, what brand of foams were you using? I thought all foams regardless of brand were the same for a specified shore?
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 10:13 AM   #1086
Tech Champion

Default InitialD

I am afraid shore ratings can be very misleading when it comes to Nitro Specific tires. That is because the Front rated nitro foams have a different sludge of pure rubber, etc. in them. I prefer the Front specicifc nitro foams on my car, which I'll explain later.

I went from 42 shore, 28mm wide GRP branded Race Tyres to Speedmind 28mm 42 shore fronts. To be honest-I could feel how much softer they were and how they didnt have that "rubbery" feel that the GRP's had, but I thought-I could handle a little more steering. NOPE!!

From GRP Race Tyres to Speedmind 42 shore tires, the car went from dialed-neutral to way loose!!!! I went to 45 shore SPeedminds and that helped, but they "felt" different. Twitchier off power. The best way I can describe it is in electric on carpet, going from a Purple front to a PLAid. Almost same grip, but not as twitchy and unpredicatble. More Forgiving??

I used (when car was dialed):

Front:

GRP Race Tyres 28mm 42F shore @ 2.40"

Rear:

GRP Race Tyres 30mm 40R shore @ 2.40"

Quote:
Anyway, what brand of foams were you using? I thought all foams regardless of brand were the same for a specified shore?
Old 08-05-2002, 03:50 PM   #1087
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by ozzie boy
hey hooked_on i got a ntc3 on thursday and i love it
the clutch is a bit smaller than the pull start one.
yeah iv been hearing alot about the fragile stuff but it aint realy true.....the front bumper is the only fragile thing. yesterday at my trac there was another ntc3 with a rossi rs12s3 in it and it hit some kids bike that was too close to the track at full speed and didnt break anything except for the kids spoke on the wheel, but he got what he deserved after beign told not go go so close.

what engine are you thinking of getting anyway?
At this stage i am going to use a Os Cv Hyper....... If i like the car, i will end up getting another one to replace my v1rr and use a novarossi Rs12.........
hooked_on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 04:31 PM   #1088
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer
Default Re: InitialD

Quote:
Originally posted by rayhuang
I am afraid shore ratings can be very misleading when it comes to Nitro Specific tires.

<snip snip snip>

I agree with you ray - I ran jaco dbl purples on front and trc purple on the rear and it was hooked! I switched to bsr purples in the rear and it got really swimmy. . .I'm going to keep working with it, or find better tires all around. . .

same rating, different brands = different tires. . .doggone it!
Old 08-05-2002, 05:08 PM   #1089
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to SuperMugen

I had about .6mm's of endbell play, with the spring tension a little tighter than their reccomended settings.

Stefan- I put the grub screws in the flywheel weights when I ran it.

I tried the new Jaco Nitro shoes yesterday, 45 shore 26mm's in the front with 40 shore 30mm's in the rear. The only way I could get the car to work was to use a much harder springs in the rear than the front. I ended up with coppers in the front with yellows in the rear, usually it is the other way around. I will probably try 40 shore all around or 45's all around next time.
SuperMugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 06:23 PM   #1090

Send a message via AIM to bbntc3

Hooked_on: I forgot about the flywheel diameter, not sure on that question, but as you know most pull/and non pull flywheel are diff. The v1r and other type clutches won't work do to the offset in the flywheel. Any parts you have trouble getting drop me an e-mail and I'll get and send to you if needed. Once you get the car dialed I'm afraid all your amgracer buddys will also have one! The car really is'nt that fragile as people say. Wait till Motorman gets done with it , it will be bullett proof. Look back through the Richie threads at his chassis and exhaust changes, like you added it would have to be a good car or Dennis would'nt be fooling with it!

I also agree with Rayhuang shore ratings are not quite what there suppose to be! A 40 shore rated tire could be anywhere from a 37 shore to a 42 shore. I use CRC Trackmagnets for the past 2 years and they are unreal for grip and tire wear! If any would like to try them heres the part# 2119/2120 dp and purple compound, and my favorite is the 2112/2117 its sorta a pink compound.
bbntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 09:43 PM   #1091
Tech Fanatic

Default RS12S3

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a RS12S3 stateside? Possibly interested in overseas supplier also. Thanks for the help.
NTC3NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 08:02 PM   #1092
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

sorry for this stupid question but what air filter are you guys running with your engines. I have a Nova Rossi S12 just got for my NTC3 just need a air filter. Will any 10mm air filter do?
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 10:21 PM   #1093
Tech Fanatic

Almost everyone at our club runs K&N filters on their NovaRossi based engines. Which RS12 do you have, I'm looking for an S3. Does anyone have any experience with the JP RS12 5port turbo? I just got one today. I have had excellent results with both of my MT12 Mugens. Easy 52mph on our 230' straight with stock gearing and a few exhaust manifold mods. I just want something faster. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-06-2002, 10:29 PM   #1094
Tech Fanatic

Ray, I would like a few helpfull pointers on a sticky/bumpy sealed asphault set-up. I think I have the speed I need, just cant get the handling down. The foam set-up in the book is where I'm at now(minus the 4/4 droop settings, someone must be crazy!). I have the droop at 1-front, 0-rear.Thanks for any help provided.
Old 08-07-2002, 11:08 AM   #1095
Tech Champion

Default NTC3NUT

I sent you some mail. I hope it helps!!! You can get the tires from www.ashfordhobby.com