My practiccally brand new NTC3 is for sale

Check it out: NTC3 for sale
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 02:06 PM   #1007
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Perplexed ..

Motorman,

I dont own one of your motors but I do see you have alot expereince with the NTC3. So here is my problem. I had a serpent tank on my car for awhile and everything was good. Well My chassis recieved a serious tweak so I bought a new hardcore chassis. (A tank of a chassis BTW!!) Dont do it unless you have crashing issues ! LOL ! Anyway I did not want to drill holes in a 100.00 chassis so I put the stock tank back on. While at the same I also installed a new Team Orion Roar Legal .12 ( Same as a the Collari XS12). Anyway after about 1/4 of a tank the engine leans out and the fuel boils in the carb and it vapor locks. It is so badly vapor locking that when I plug the exhuast the fuel lid shoots up and squirts out fuel out the lid. I am baffled as to what could be causing this. I checked the carb, it looked ok. I tried the all kinds of needle settings including riching the heck out of the motor. Nothing I do seems to fix it. I even altered the tank by running a fuel line into the tank bypassing the ill fated stone fuel filter. The end of the fuel lin going to the tak has several v shapes cut in it on the end so that the fuel will be drawn in all the way to the bottom of the tank. Anyway to avail. The tank is getting over pressurized. But why would it cause the carb to boil the fuel? I am baffled!
Thanks,
Shawn

Last edited by simulatedwood; 07-29-2002 at 02:10 PM.
simulatedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 02:43 PM   #1008
Tech Rookie

Send a message via ICQ to Barney Rubble

Quote:
Originally posted by ozzie boy
do GPT bodys fit the ntc3 without any mods?
If you cut the front shock tower like this it will fit perfect !!

Barney Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 04:27 PM   #1009
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan
Default simulatedwood

if it's the same than the Collari, a Nova Rossi carb will help
Old 07-29-2002, 04:49 PM   #1010
Tee
Tech Apprentice

Anybody have a Factory Team "hard anodized" chassis? Do you believe it really is hard anodized? I don't really think I can ask that question on the TC3/NTC3 Talk Message Board (@AE) and get an honest answer... Know wut I mean?? With that in mind, and the current "team losi tech tip" hard anodization "sales pitch" sidebars, I'm wondering what this chassis will do for the fuel tank vibration problem.

I'm thinking it will solve the problem, or make it twice as bad as it already is. Not that I actually have a problem with the tank system vibration, but it would be better if it didn't vibrate I imagine.

Did I mention my car runs normally? Without a modified cap?
Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 05:38 PM   #1011
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

I didn't find any little pieces. . .but the motor did run incredibly well, enough to TQ and win A.

I love doing that, but I HATE it when I don't know what I DID. . .
Old 07-29-2002, 05:57 PM   #1012
Tech Elite

Default Hard Anodizing,

is not much different from regular anodizing (which I do), it's just done at slightly higher temperatures and it has a brownish/yellowish color to it (that why you can't do it in bright colors)

hard anodizing will slightly improve the abrasion resistance of alu, but it WILL NOT change the stability of the chassis or pipe.

YES IT IS A SALES PITCH

Custom Anodizing
Old 07-29-2002, 11:35 PM   #1013
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

simulated wood, dude I got bad news fer ya, I think the ti chassis is your issue. I tried one of those a couple times on other cars and had bad overheating issues carbon fiber is even worse. (been there done that several times) The titanium just wont transfer heat out of the engine fast enough. You might try a zac 21 head for the 12 but crankcase overheat is going to be an ongoing problem I believe.
Old 07-29-2002, 11:51 PM   #1014
Tech Adept

Hi everyone. Long time reader, long time owner, first time posting (here anyway). I'm starting to defect from the HPI NTC3 thread. It's been degraded and is no longer as informative as it use to be.
iMax02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 12:24 AM   #1015
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to ozzie boy Send a message via AIM to ozzie boy Send a message via Yahoo to ozzie boy

Quote:
Originally posted by Barney Rubble

If you cut the front shock tower like this it will fit perfect !!

thanks for that barney

i think im gonna do that as soon as i get it tomoro afternoon
ozzie boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 12:33 AM   #1016
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Man I would swear he took a pic of my car cuz it looks identical right down to how I cut my shock tower and color of springs.Even the radio tray.....same.
Old 07-30-2002, 03:12 AM   #1017
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Hard Anodizing,

Quote:
Originally posted by stefan
is not much different from regular anodizing (which I do), it's just done at slightly higher temperatures and it has a brownish/yellowish color to it (that why you can't do it in bright colors)

hard anodizing will slightly improve the abrasion resistance of alu, but it WILL NOT change the stability of the chassis or pipe.

YES IT IS A SALES PITCH

Custom Anodizing
Stefan, or Motorman, do you know if the black finish on JP engines is anodizing. Have you ever anodized an engine Stefan?
SHARP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 04:08 AM   #1018
Tech Elite

Sharp, I don't know, never had one, but buy the looks of it, I'd say it's rather paint than anodizing. (rather high film build)

I tried an engine case once, but there are two problems:

1.) you have to seal the inside of the block completely, to not change the dimensions of the bearing seats.

2.) There can be no other metal in the bath than alu and I couldn't get that little pine out that aligns the sleeve (steel gets eaten away in the anodizing bath)

One more problem is that those cases are cast alu, which doesn't anodize as nice as billet stuff.
Old 07-30-2002, 05:05 AM   #1019
Tech Apprentice

Interesting stuff! Approx how thick is a "layer" of anodizing?

Maybe Motorman can say what the JPs use.
SHARP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 07:31 AM   #1020
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang
Arrow JP Coatings and etc........

I dont know what JP uses exactly, but it is a coating. It may be a ceramic compound of some sort, or nicasil or one of many super hard, super slippery materials. That much I know. Its not anodized or paint either. Thats my 0.02!!!

As a long time 2-cycle engine racer-coatings on engine componenets is a very common practice and not hard to have done if you know who to talk to (its no secret). It is expensive, results can vary greatly and benefits do not last!!!! For sure getting your needles and clutch right is more important then a shiny black ~~~0.0001" thick coating!!!

But having said that-if I were to produce a no cost no object engine to the mass market, I would do the coatings, etc. as a whole package of Mods-they all add up to make a higher performing engine-however miniscule the benefits of each expensive trick may be on it's own!!!

I would be more intersted in Cryoing my engine components than getting coatings done. Might be faster and stronger!!!
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote