R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-31-2005, 02:16 PM   #8401
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaneon
anyone ever have these just fall out or am i lucky, i was just breaking in the motor and i just happen to notice it on the ground. any trick to make sure it dosnt fall out in the future?
I put my NTC3 through hell this season and never lost one. Was yours an RTR, or a kit?
i300i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:10 PM   #8402
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggy
Hey Guys, how do i get the two speed to kick in quicker? tried adjusting the screws, but doesent seem to make a difference
Loosening the adjuster screws on both sides should allow the 2-speed to shift earlier.
Make sure also that the set-screws (over the ball bearing) are set correctly....these adjust the outward throw of the shoes, if theyre wound in too far it`ll throw the 2-speed shoes out too far and it`ll be stuck in 2nd.
Cheers
AndyT  is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 07:38 PM   #8403
Tech Apprentice

two of mine are bent open a little bit, so they don't clip on tight, but they haven't fallen off yet, be sure they are clipped on all the way, sometimes it looks like they are one but they aren't
NTC3Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 08:28 PM   #8404

Send a message via AIM to bbntc3

If the middle set screws ( with the balls) are too loose it will also cause the car not to shift into second gear also, are you sure its shifting??
bbntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 09:14 PM   #8405
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Cheap Fix

Cheap Fix $3.00

AE-4442 bore the shock tower a hair, trim a small amount from right side diff cover use 2 4-40 1 1/4 and a couple 4-40 on top with washers done. 2 minutes top. Thread lock optional. Screw the $12 FIX

The 4442 is the exact length that is needed.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LX2501&P=PU

Better use your LHS

Tom
Tire Chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 11:55 PM   #8406
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to Aphinity Send a message via AIM to Aphinity Send a message via Yahoo to Aphinity Send a message via Skype™ to Aphinity

I'm having the same problem with the 2 speed not working on my brand new TC3 team kit.

I ran the car up and down my street today with a relatively low RPM OS CV (old motor I had kicking around). I hear no gear shift and I can't believe this can be locked in 2nd gear considering how slow it feels at the top end.

I have the set screws adjusted so the clutch shoes are just barely fully closed, and I tried 3.5 turns out, 4 turns, 4.5 turns, 5 turns, and 5.5 turns, all without any signs of two speed.

I took it apart and couldn't find anything wrong. Any advise?

Last edited by Aphinity; 09-01-2005 at 12:12 AM.
Aphinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 07:31 PM   #8407
Tech Fanatic

Theres a couple of suggestions that may help-
Firstly set the 2 speed setscrews so that the shoes are just short of touching the housing but will still allow them to rotate/move freely.....then wind the adjusters to 2 turns out and work from here loosening the adjusters until it starts to shift.
Another part to look at is- are the adjusters springs okay?...sometimes when these are wound in they`ll just crush and wont spring back anymore, stopping the 2-speed from shifting.
Also check the shoes to make sure theyre clean....no oil etc on them so they grip the housing.
And also check engine tune to ensure its capable of making the necessary power/rpm etc needed to get the 2-speed to shift.
Cheers
Old 09-01-2005, 11:27 PM   #8408
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to Aphinity Send a message via AIM to Aphinity Send a message via Yahoo to Aphinity Send a message via Skype™ to Aphinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyT
Theres a couple of suggestions that may help-
Firstly set the 2 speed setscrews so that the shoes are just short of touching the housing but will still allow them to rotate/move freely.....then wind the adjusters to 2 turns out and work from here loosening the adjusters until it starts to shift.
I'm not sure I quite know what you mean. The manual says to set it so the shoes are just barely NOT separating from each other. Should I go past that so let the shoes separate a little when the clutch is fully disengaged?

Quote:
Another part to look at is- are the adjusters springs okay?...sometimes when these are wound in they`ll just crush and wont spring back anymore, stopping the 2-speed from shifting.
A good point. I'll try to check that out, but I could feel the springs still working last time I brought it back to fully closed. That, and I could feel spring tension when I had the 2 speed clutch out and pulled on it with my fingers. I think the springs are ok.

Quote:
Also check the shoes to make sure theyre clean....no oil etc on them so they grip the housing.
This may have been a problem. It was a new kit, and I did notice a slight oil residue on the inside of the 2 speed clutch bell. Still, it didn't seem like enough to make it slip significantly.

Quote:
And also check engine tune to ensure its capable of making the necessary power/rpm etc needed to get the 2-speed to shift.
Cheers
Hey, I'm running an old crappy OS CV. I think if there is actually a horsepower and RPM limit to the 2 speed, that's likely what the problem is. Still, I thought this was adjustable? What good is a 2 speed if you can't tell it to engage early to use torque-biased motors?

Thanks very much for you help, Andy. I appreciate it.
Aphinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 05:47 PM   #8409
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphinity
I'm not sure I quite know what you mean. The manual says to set it so the shoes are just barely NOT separating from each other. Should I go past that so let the shoes separate a little when the clutch is fully disengaged?
You could give this a try and see what affect it has.....it may lock it into 2nd gear.....if this is the case loosen them off a tiny fraction and then use the adjusters to get the shift point you want.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:55 PM   #8410
Tech Addict

The two speed is extermely adjustable. I use a four stroke motor in one of my cars and it shifts just fine at very low rpm.

Dave
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 07:35 PM   #8411
Tech Addict

The two speed is extermely adjustable. I use a four stroke motor in one of my cars and it shifts just fine at very low rpm.

Dave
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 11:00 AM   #8412
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)
Default !!!!!!!SOMEONE PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!SOMEONE PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!

I'M DESPERATE FOR A DIALED SETUP USING FOAMS FOR THE NTC3 ON A
TIGHT TECHNICAL TRACK THAT IS ABOUT 120 BY 85 WITH MEDIUM
TRACTION.
gonzo416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 06:14 PM   #8413
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo416
!!!!!!!SOMEONE PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!

I'M DESPERATE FOR A DIALED SETUP USING FOAMS FOR THE NTC3 ON A
TIGHT TECHNICAL TRACK THAT IS ABOUT 120 BY 85 WITH MEDIUM
TRACTION.
Use the back page of the manuel FOAM SETUP, then work on the front, like loosen up the front diff 1/4 more, softer front foams, lighter oil, lighter springs, more open damper...

Do 1 thing at a time....the stock REAR setting should stay the same per manuel, since your track is TIGHT, you suppose to required more steering, so you work on the front
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 07:11 PM   #8414
Tech Rookie

Default RPM BUMPER!!

New here! Anyone have pics of this setup? I have all the parts I need but, the screws that go up through the chassis don't seem to be long enough. I've got to be doing something wrong. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by swaybar; 09-20-2005 at 07:22 AM.
swaybar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:16 AM   #8415
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I was woundering if any of you guys have a good setup for a spool I just need a little more steering on corner entry the car is great mid to off the corner just pushes a little on the way in just looking to compare some setups to mine track is bumpy and mid to high grip