R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-13-2005, 09:35 PM   #8251
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyT
You`ll gain off-power steering (better turn-in) with the one way (as both front wheels can rotate thru the corner at differing speeds).... and a bit more acceleration/grip when on-power (as drive is being applied to both front wheels equally when on-power).
You`ll lose braking to the front wheels.......and the car will want to/will spin out if you apply the brakes when in a corner..........I liken it to applying only the rear brakes on a bicycle when youre on a loose surface, the rear will want to break free and spin out.
Hope this helps.

i love it when my rear bike tire wants to break free.not on my ntc3 though
ntc3freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 05:28 AM   #8252
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Thanks guys for your imput, but am still none the wiser as to what car to buy... Think i'll just sit tight for awhile an see what happens with the MTX4

BB
Old 07-14-2005, 10:32 AM   #8253
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear
Thanks guys for your imput, but am still none the wiser as to what car to buy... Think i'll just sit tight for awhile an see what happens with the MTX4

BB

Yeah, after MTX4, there will be Serpent 720....wait a little bit more, there will be V1RRR-Prospec, then wait a little more, NTC4, and waiting is OK for you....there will be MTX4 Pro-spec, Serpent 720R and V1RRRRRRRRR..........

How long are you going to wait.....? I waited 21 years.......still looking for a single RC car that I can keep forever and forever parts support, but still, no luck at all.....yet.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 03:07 PM   #8254
Tech Apprentice

What do you guys recommend for foam tires for parking lot racing? The surface is pretty good and has decent bite. I've been running Jaco Nitro Shoes - usually 40's in the rear and 42's in the front. I'm wondering if I can pick up a bunch of grip by going softer - like maybe 35's or 38's all around. Should I be looking at any other choices? This is for a pretty much stock FT NTC3 with a Proto Mazda 6 body and a diff installed in the front.
Corner Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 03:47 PM   #8255
Tech Adept

personally i like 50's..in the front..and 60's in the back
rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 03:49 PM   #8256
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I've been running 40s in the front and 37s in the rear(Ellegis) on our parking lot track. I also run the diff in the front with the sway bar flat. I know a fast guy who runs without the front sway bar and he is dialed.
Rookie S.- What are you using for tires at T.P.? You thinking of going to AJs Sat night since T.Ps. going to every other week? You ever run there on a Sat. night? Nick A.
TeamCarnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 04:19 PM   #8257
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Solara
Yeah, after MTX4, there will be Serpent 720....wait a little bit more, there will be V1RRR-Prospec, then wait a little more, NTC4, and waiting is OK for you....there will be MTX4 Pro-spec, Serpent 720R and V1RRRRRRRRR..........

How long are you going to wait.....? I waited 21 years.......still looking for a single RC car that I can keep forever and forever parts support, but still, no luck at all.....yet.

Righto... you just run off any play in the sand pit like a good boy

I have my own personel reasons as to why i am not racing out to buy a car, but as i have already said i having trouble deciding at the moment...

BB
Old 07-14-2005, 09:11 PM   #8258
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corner Weight
What do you guys recommend for foam tires for parking lot racing? The surface is pretty good and has decent bite. I've been running Jaco Nitro Shoes - usually 40's in the rear and 42's in the front. I'm wondering if I can pick up a bunch of grip by going softer - like maybe 35's or 38's all around. Should I be looking at any other choices? This is for a pretty much stock FT NTC3 with a Proto Mazda 6 body and a diff installed in the front.
By goin to a softer shore, you'll definitely get more bite, but that doesn't always mean better. If the tires give you too much grip on the rear, you'll have problems negotiating turns; too less grip on the rear will cause your car to spin out; too much grip upfront might just add-on to the rear spin out problem if you're already running a harder shore compound at the rear; and too less grip up front will only make your car understeer. It all boils down to finding the right balance to suit the kinda track design you're running.
At the track I'm running (which is also a parking lot track, technical and rough cement sort), most of our guys are running softer front and harder rear; which gives more steering to meet the technical track demands. No doubt, 37sh all round provide the car excellent traction, but the planted rear makes it hard to take the car thru the technical twist and turns.
tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 09:18 PM   #8259
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rally
personally i like 50's..in the front..and 60's in the back
tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 09:27 PM   #8260
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommi

i was wondering too,tommi.imagine running 50's and 60's in atria
ntc3freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 01:31 AM   #8261
Tech Adept

haha i was just kiddin guys..
rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 09:49 AM   #8262
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCarnage
I've been running 40s in the front and 37s in the rear(Ellegis) on our parking lot track. I also run the diff in the front with the sway bar flat. I know a fast guy who runs without the front sway bar and he is dialed.
Rookie S.- What are you using for tires at T.P.? You thinking of going to AJs Sat night since T.Ps. going to every other week? You ever run there on a Sat. night? Nick A.
I think I have a plan to AJ for their touphy race around August.....the only problem I have at AJ is....7-10 ppl turn out each week. 1 class of nitro for 5 minutes, no marshell (may be only 2-3 ppl) and for sure, no one can refuel you...
This year I have not have chance to go to AJ yet, but I might try to go there for the touphy race.....right now, I am more concentrated on the 235mm and 1/8th for the upcomign MWS at Chicago, Toledo and Cinci.....big races.

About foams...I only use GQ tires (sponcered by them) but I am running different setup from most ppl....I use softer front and harder rear for more even wear for 30 minutes main....I ran 35F 38R, or 38F 40R......but mostly, 35F/38R.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:52 AM   #8263
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear
Righto... you just run off any play in the sand pit like a good boy

I have my own personel reasons as to why i am not racing out to buy a car, but as i have already said i having trouble deciding at the moment...

BB
Everyone here can see that you have a problem.....thats why I am giving you some idea why you should not WAIT and you should stop keep thinking....no need to get upset....
Old 07-16-2005, 07:11 AM   #8264
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Howard is right, if you are always waiting for the next best thing, you will NEVER buy anything. The NTC3 is a great car, easy to build and set up, and you can buy parts for it everywhere without having to order things.

There might be a new car from Associated down the road, but there might be a second ice age in a few weeks, too. For the price, a full-boat Factory Team NTC3 is a tough car to beat.

squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 06:05 PM   #8265
rce
Tech Adept

hey guys,

would you recommend of using the aluminum diff case instead of the factory plastic case?...the screws always keep on loosing and everytime I tigthen it, the bottom case gets worn out until I strip it...how can i fix this problem?...could anyone suggest?

tnx
rce is offline   Reply With Quote