Search
Like Tree2Likes

Rc10ntc3

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 08:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Number 11
Thanks guys for the info for some reason I couldn't find it. Ordered one today.
Don't know where is the word "SPOOL" came from, but when ppl refer to SPOOL, the technical name should be called "solid front axle"..........type "solid ntc3" at Tower and you will see that listed...
Old 06-08-2005, 09:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by SNACKPACK
Hi Wang,
Thanks for all the info so far. I'm sorry If this has already been bought up, but if I wish to install the Mugen Centax in my NTC3 I would need to use:
1. Mugen Centax Clutch Kit (does this include the flywheel?)
2. Required pinions (0.8)?
3. Factory Team non-pullstart engine mounts.
Is this correct? If I need any other items, such as shims, could you let me know. Thankyou very much in advance.
#1, Yes, it comes with flywheel, but you need to buy pinion gears separately.
#2, Yes, only 0.8 module pinion gear will give you correct mesh with stock spur gears.
#3, FT non-pullstart engine mount will give you more clearance between the 1st spur and 2nd pinion, compared to stock engine mount.

Other thing you need to take care is setting the centax correctly. For instance:
1. The end play of the clutch bell should be less than 0.5mm.
2. Don't use any shim before install the collet (I'm using the collet came with the kit, not engine)
3. Make sure the flywheel is not rubbing engine case.

As for shims, I only installed one HPI Z689 6x8x0.2mm shim between the spur gears. Please also check out the info posted by Rookie Solara.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:21 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Rookie Solara
Don't know where is the word "SPOOL" came from, but when ppl refer to SPOOL, the technical name should be called "solid front axle"..........type "solid ntc3" at Tower and you will see that listed...

The word spool comes from real cars where you can replace the centre of a normal diff with a solid spool, giving a solid axle, usually on muscle cars, don't ask me where they got the name from though
Old 06-08-2005, 07:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Rookie Solara
Yup your right but you knew what I was talking about didn't ya.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:48 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks Wang, much appreciated.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

do you guys think this will line up perfectly with tc3 trans. case?

pics
Old 06-09-2005, 09:02 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by front1wayFreak
do you guys think this will line up perfectly with tc3 trans. case?

pics
NTC3 is like good 3.5 years old now...so no one ever did that conversion, so I think those mounting point of the CD3 is not exactly the same as the NTC3...

If you want carbon fiber shock tower....you can buy the 3Racing one (or K-Factory, I forgot which is which...) or wait untill AE release the FT TC4 shock tower parts....the TC4 diff case does look like the NTC3 from the pictures, and the FT TC4 came with mesh carbon fiber shock towers, I "THINK" that is a direct fit.

Old 06-09-2005, 02:08 PM
Tech Master

What chassis is that on the TC4 Rookie? Or is that the FT TC4? I haven't seen one yet but I have been waiting for it to come out.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:15 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Number 11
What chassis is that on the TC4 Rookie? Or is that the FT TC4? I haven't seen one yet but I have been waiting for it to come out.
That is FT TC4...........from AE.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:16 PM
Tech Master

Is it available yet? No one seems to have it.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:26 PM

Sorry guys we raced real cars for 25 years on dirt. The rear diff we always bought a mini spool which lock the diff solid or we welded the spider gears together to make it solid. All suppliers called the center housing where the axle connect a spool? So that's where my terms come from. Actually it should be called a solid front or rear axle like AE calls it. Bob
Old 06-09-2005, 04:56 PM
Tech Addict

That is FT TC4...........from AE.
rookie, is it me or the dogbones in that pic looks bigger than regular tc3s?
looks like almost all hopups for tc4 is direct fit on ntc3
Old 06-09-2005, 05:19 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by front1wayFreak
rookie, is it me or the dogbones in that pic looks bigger than regular tc3s?
looks like almost all hopups for tc4 is direct fit on ntc3

Yes the TC4 dogbones are a much bigger diameter and are a straight fit on TC3 & NTC3.

If you want a carbon shock tower for the front the TC4 one will not work as the NTC3 one has the top arm mounts integrated into it, the rear one won't work for the same reason.
Try www.kfactoryracing.com for a front carbon tower and aluminium bracket

It also eliminates the need for 'the fix' as well, I have one on my car and it is also very bling
Old 06-10-2005, 01:55 AM
Tech Addict

thanks for the info fathead...did you break alot of carbon tower with that setup? does it also help to prevent the screws from stripping the trans. case?

i've had problems to find out if the diff case strip unless i take everything apart. it's just hard to tell by eyeballing. So i'm planning to beef up the case or beef up the shock tower (either one) and if it breaks it'll be noticeable.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:54 AM
Tech Addict

I haven't broken the carbon tower yet, i also bought a spare carbon tower just in case I did, you can get them seperate from the bracket.

It screws onto the gearbox case using the standard 3 screws as well as 4 screws that normally just hold the radio tray and chassis brace to the gearbox so it eliminates the levering effect the tower normally has on the gearbox case, and makes it really solid

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.