R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-11-2005, 07:53 PM   #7831
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks I'm going to try the copper springs and some new shoes. This should make the engagement earlier for the small tracks.
revzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 06:19 AM   #7832
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by revzalot
I saw a Shumacher Fusion with a three speed tranny with the 3 pinions. I think the NTC3 will be ballistic if we can find a way to fit in a 3 speed tranny. I think this is the missing link to make this shaft driven car competitive in large tracks. My engine wasn't the fastest out there but I made it up by gunning it out the corners. With a 3 speed tranny, we'll have better tuning options for large and small tracks. Most of all, the NTC3 can be a large track killer.
Not sure if you guys run under similar rules to us here, but in Sanctioned events here 3 speeds arent legal.
Cheers
AndyT  is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 06:33 AM   #7833
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Boomer
It all depends on who will be calling the shots.

Horizon left the shot calling mostly to Losi and they're fine.

I have a bad feeling that TT will not and this will be bad for AE since TT is one of the lowest end RC manu's - just above Tyco and right around CEN. 90% of TT's stuff is toy caliber while 90% of AE's stuff is racing caliber - even the RTRs.

It makes me really worry since I run Pro10 and AE's really the only ones making them still (besides the tank from Corally) - if TT does take over, I think that they'll kill us off even as we are resurging.
I understand where your coming from but what people dont get told is that a lot of the larger big name companies do get many of the main parts produced by companies like CEN and TT as its works out cheaper. CEN and TT are reaching out to different markets but have the capability to produce pure race cars if they wanted (especially TT who has Sabattini on board)
teammpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 07:11 AM   #7834
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by AndyT
To answer your questions
1. I had no issues with fuel tank vibration on my FT NTC3 ....I`m sure the o-rings absorbed a lot of this, but they can tend perish and tear off which may make vibration an issue.
2. Never
3. The diff case was an issue in terms of the shock tower screws stripping out of the plastic....also a few screws on the underside of the chassis were starting to "float" in the plastic to which they were threaded......other than this i found the plastic to be quite okay.
An interesting bit of trivia about the Thunder Tiger/AE takeover, is that there is a bit of overlap between parts of the 2 manufacturers........take a look at the fuel tanks of a Thunder Tiger Tourer and the NTC3....exactly the same
Cheers
Thanks guys... Help appreciated!

I have thought for sometime that Thunder Tiger was involved in producing parts for AE.

H-O
Old 04-12-2005, 07:15 AM   #7835
Tech Addict

Quote:
This is a good starting setup using rubber tires.

Front:
Shock hole: #3
Oil: #40
camber: -2
toe: 0
spring: copper
ride height: 5mm
droop: 4
roll bar: none

Rear w/ ver 2:
shock hole: #2
oil: #35
camber: -2
toe: -2 (in)
spring: gold
ride height: 5.5mm
droop: 3
roll bar: none

I've set the cluth to engage earlier by drilling 1/8 holes in the 3 shoes. This varies with different engines.

pinions 22 & 26
spurs gears 50 and 54

I was using some HPI x pattern radials.

Good luck.
I assume you are using the ball diffs front and rear? Also what is the differences between the shock pistons? I don't remember AE explaining that in the manual? What impact does V2 suspension have on rubber tyres, i would normally say that type of rear end is better suited for foams....

Also,

apart from the FT Kit does the rear exhaust or the side exhaust kit come with the V2 suspension?

H-O
Old 04-12-2005, 08:51 AM   #7836
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by hooked_on
I assume you are using the ball diffs front and rear? Also what is the differences between the shock pistons? I don't remember AE explaining that in the manual? What impact does V2 suspension have on rubber tyres, i would normally say that type of rear end is better suited for foams....

Also,

apart from the FT Kit does the rear exhaust or the side exhaust kit come with the V2 suspension?

H-O
Yes I'm using ball diffs. I've noticed less rebound on #2 shock pistons. The V2 provides better traction with foam or rubber. I think kit #2033 only provides rear exhuast with the v2 suspension.
revzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 09:31 AM   #7837
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

Quote:
Originally posted by Palmaris Europe
I understand where your coming from but what people dont get told is that a lot of the larger big name companies do get many of the main parts produced by companies like CEN and TT as its works out cheaper. CEN and TT are reaching out to different markets but have the capability to produce pure race cars if they wanted (especially TT who has Sabattini on board)
Oh agreed - Shoot - 75% of the shocks out there are made by CEN (AE, Tam and Serpent shocks are the ones I know are not)

The difference seems to be that when they contract for OEM parts, THEY don't set the standard. Now AE won't be setting the standard, TT will. I've seen what CEN does with its own stuff (although Mr. Wu seems to be getting better about it.)
Old 04-13-2005, 03:03 AM   #7838
Tech Addict

Quote:
Yes I'm using ball diffs. I've noticed less rebound on #2 shock pistons. The V2 provides better traction with foam or rubber. I think kit #2033 only provides rear exhuast with the v2 suspension.
Cool...

#2033 is FT Kit with Oneway front diff & V2 rear suspension

#2034 is Pullstart kit with V2 Susp.
#2035 is Non Pullstart with V2 Susp.

Does anyone know if #2034 & 2035 come with a front ball diff or front one way?

Also, I noticed the FT kit comes with a different colour chassis, what is the go there?

H-O
Old 04-13-2005, 03:03 AM   #7839
Tech Addict

What size hex drivers are required for the NTC3?

H-O
Old 04-13-2005, 03:55 AM   #7840
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
What size hex drivers are required for the NTC3?

H-O
3/32", 2mm, 1/16" and 0.05" hex drivers are all you need.
tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 04:01 AM   #7841
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Cool...

Also, I noticed the FT kit comes with a different colour chassis, what is the go there?

H-O
The Factory Team kit comes with the black chassis. There`s 2 other colours available in the chassis as well but I`m sure other than colour theyre all the same.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:16 PM   #7842
Tech Addict

Thank you... Your assistence has been great.

Going back to my question early in the week regarding the fuel tank, i went back and read my early posts in the early days of the NTC3... I know have the following questions?

1/ With the revised fuel tank, has that fixed the washing machine effect and are people still changing the tank inlet, outlet nipples over?

2/ Early on there were problems with the ring gears? I think AE might have bought a revised set from memory?

H-O
Old 04-13-2005, 08:18 PM   #7843
Tech Fanatic

To answer your questions-
1. I left the tank mine untouched and never had any issues with it.
2. The ring/diff gears are really quite durable now.....the newer ones are the light coloured ones (white) and seem to be made out of a different plastic to the older ones which were black.
I raced with the new ones for months and never had a prob with them until a one way screw worked loose and damaged the gears. I replaced this with one of the black (older) ones and this was worn out totally within 2 weeks using exactly the same shimming as the previous set.
cheers
Old 04-15-2005, 04:10 AM   #7844
Tech Addict

Thanks again for everyone's assistence. I am having trouble remembering why i ended up ditching the NTC3. The first time i think it was the fact that the MTX3 was the latest and greatest

Second time around i went down the BMI road of disaster. Nothing against the BMI chassis, but it was a combination of bad engines, and i think me trying to mod the fuel tanks to stop the washing effect causing possibly an air leak...

What pipes is everyone using for rear exhaust motors? What is the FT Dual chamber one like?

H-O
Old 04-15-2005, 10:48 PM   #7845
Tech Addict

Also,

The new Hudy setup system would need to be drilled out to accept the larger diameter axle on the NTC3?

H-O