R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-20-2002, 07:51 PM   #766
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have owned and races a TRaxxas 4tec PRO and a SErpent impulse... The NTC3 gives you the cleanest lay out the easyist car to work on. Try and get the rear diff out of any 3belt car!!! IT aint fun. With the NTC3 i can get at either diff in under 60 seconds..

So far its fast and keeping up with any other brand out there...

All of the current pro cars are so good it comes down to driving and setup... I just find that with out the mess of pulleys and belts its so much more fun to race nirto now
Old 06-20-2002, 08:13 PM   #767
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Alfie

Joel,

I agree with your comment on the mess of 3-belts cars.

I used to own a Serpent Impulse, then hopped it up and got very frustrated with it because of its durability. If I never crash and had a clean 7 minute heat, the front arms never remain in its original shape.

What I meant was it still gets bent upwards, with or without crashes. I see that Serpent wants its players to spend money.

And it was during this time that I almost gave up Nitro racing.

Right now, I am running a Kyosho V1R but I still find it messy to maintain it. I never liked my cars to be dirty, so it's brushing-off-the-dust after every run.

I have a CVR engine which I was thinking of using before planting the 5-Porter into the NTC3 when it gets here. Is it fast enough for this car?

Will the NTC3 twitch while taking the big sweeper at 3/4 throttle on rubber tires?
Alfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 10:35 PM   #768

Quote:
Originally posted by Alfie
Joel,

I agree with your comment on the mess of 3-belts cars.

I used to own a Serpent Impulse, then hopped it up and got very frustrated with it because of its durability. If I never crash and had a clean 7 minute heat, the front arms never remain in its original shape.

What I meant was it still gets bent upwards, with or without crashes. I see that Serpent wants its players to spend money.

And it was during this time that I almost gave up Nitro racing.

Right now, I am running a Kyosho V1R but I still find it messy to maintain it. I never liked my cars to be dirty, so it's brushing-off-the-dust after every run.

I have a CVR engine which I was thinking of using before planting the 5-Porter into the NTC3 when it gets here. Is it fast enough for this car?

Will the NTC3 twitch while taking the big sweeper at 3/4 throttle on rubber tires?
The TC3 is easy to keep up isn't it? 1-2 hours compared to a total car tear down with belts

Any car will bend and break when playing chicken with the boards at 50 mph; OK I wish people could get over cars breaking when they plow a board, the problem is not the car it is the driver

Yes the NTC3 torque steers; only bad thing about the car; none are perfect; its still the most dominating car out there right now...
OB42TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 10:50 PM   #769
Tech Apprentice

Alfie, the NTC3 is a very good car and is very quick. The big question is are you quick enough for the car?
The free running drive train gives you extra horsepower that a belt drive just can't deliver.
rmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 12:43 AM   #770
Tech Elite

OB42TC3,

TC3 (electric) torque steers, too, but I could handle it with a little touch of the steering stick.

I just hope it will hold up when I battle it out with my local champ here. He claimed all the tops with his Serpent Impulse and I have been out of racing due to school.

One more year to go but I just can't wait to outrun that guy.

I notice that Nitro racing is also about throwing money into what you buy. The better the engine, the more money put into it. Car will no longer be the factor for speed.

Does Ellegi foams work for this NTC3?
Old 06-21-2002, 12:47 AM   #771
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by rmac
Alfie, the NTC3 is a very good car and is very quick. The big question is are you quick enough for the car?
The free running drive train gives you extra horsepower that a belt drive just can't deliver.

I don't think it will be a problem to handle this NTC3 at all, since that I had been racing my TC3 for some time before selling it away.

I had Centax on my Impulse, and I have a Centax System on my V1R right now, too. I don't think I like Centax system because they are not forgiving to throttle when you ruff up. The normal clutch system gave me 3 laps more, when I was racing my Impulse.

Was thinking of changing the bearings onboard the NTC3 to Teflon, what do you guys think about it? Will be be able to hold the abuse from the "99% efficient" drive train of the NTC3?
Old 06-21-2002, 07:42 AM   #772
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

Quote:
Originally posted by OB42TC3

the NTC3 torque steers; only bad thing about the car; none are perfect; its still the most dominating car out there right now...

Na, the torque steer can be minimized with setup. The bad things are crap tank, weak parts, and the fact that you've jumped on the same bandwagon everyone else has.

I think classic marketing caused all this fuss over the ntc3. Baker switched and kicked some butt with it early - everyone jumped on the car right away - including me.

it's not "the most dominating" car - it's just that so many of the good drivers are using it that's the way it seems. The drive train is free and the car is LIGHT so the car is quick with even lower-powered engines, but with the .12 engines available today the NTC3 is not "dominant" over any of the other pro cars. Drivers dominate - not the cars.

At our track one of our best nitro drivers switched to ntc3 when it looked like that was the car to beat - and he kicked butt. He went back to his yokomo GT4 last race and went faster than he ever went with the ntc3 - setting consistent laps faster than electric modified racers...still kicked butt. Moral of the story - the NTC3 is good but it's not dominating over any other pro car.

Last edited by patelladragger; 06-21-2002 at 07:44 AM.
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 08:09 AM   #773
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

i agree to say the tc3 is dominate... is well..... look at the texas biggie, wow ralph destroyed most of the 1/8 scale class with his impulse, and tossilinie can whip some but with his gt-4 and then you go to barry baker with his tc3 .. ripping it up, ther is no dominance with these cars they are all equally capable of putting the power down and running the tracks, whitch makes racing a lot more fun, it is not a money race to buy the hot car, and motors, with the new generatin of 1.5 hp motors coming out( 3 ports) theree is plenty of power avalable for all... should be pretty even playing field, and come down to driver setup pitcrew...
ammdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 11:09 AM   #774
Tech Elite

How about Rear Solid Axle for this NTC3? How does it react?

What are the combinations that would work the best with the Solid Rear Axle, Front One Way, on a big long track?

Alfie
Old 06-21-2002, 01:52 PM   #775
Tech Regular

I have yet to notice any torque steer. You might not have your tweek right. Or the diffs to tight. But maybe your one of those guys who think that running the Electric diffs are the ticket. They designed the diffs with that little yellow thing in there for a reason. Can't for life of me member the name of it.

Just a good old camber gage and ride height gage. The car never seems to be funny. or odd handling. Or maybe I am just that good, prob just luck. Take luck anyday.

The car is not the breaking problem.
Drivers cause the car to break.
If you hit stuff, expect to break stuff.
2Fast4U2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 02:27 PM   #776
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Making sure your DROOP setings left to right are identical is very important.

You want your shocks to top out at the same time both sides or else one side will lift sooner. I find that when i test for tweek and find that the car is tweeked, 90% of the time its because one side of the car has got more droop then the other. These settings are not supposed to float around but after a days racing and the odd crash settings do change....

I just checked mine and found i was off by 1mm on the front left and 1mm rear right.

Also rotate your tires. One side normally wears before the other if you dont rotate eventually the car sits lower on one side
Old 06-21-2002, 09:11 PM   #777
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

Quote:
Originally posted by patelladragger
At our track one of our best nitro drivers switched to ntc3 when it looked like that was the car to beat - and he kicked butt. He went back to his yokomo GT4 last race and went faster than he ever went with the ntc3 - setting consistent laps faster than electric modified racers...still kicked butt. Moral of the story - the NTC3 is good but it's not dominating over any other pro car.
Yea but I wasn't there at that race Mike. The race before that I had that guy beat by two whole laps before my glow plug went bad. Hey wanna buy my Trinity/Picco? I just got me a new OS 12CVR.
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 09:14 PM   #778
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

Quote:
Originally posted by 2Fast4U2
They designed the diffs with that little yellow thing in there for a reason. Can't for life of me member the name of it.
That's a slipper pad.
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 09:58 PM   #779
Tech Elite

I haven't gotten mine yet, so I wouldn't comment on this NTC3 yet.

I was just asking about the feel of the car in relation to the throttle response and handling.... you guys started to say about the driver thingy....

Hmmm??
Old 06-22-2002, 08:48 AM   #780
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Is anyone else having the following problems.

1) If you let the car take off going away from you and kind of blip the throttle a few times, the car tends to pull left at each blip of the throttle.

and

2) When turning right the car is very stable and the rear end feels planted when I get on the gas. But when turning left and started accelerating, the rear end starts to break lose and I have to then get off the gas.

Is this the torque steer issue people have been talking about?

Is there anyway to correct it? Is so, please let me know.

Other than that, The car is working fine.
rodneybarrett is offline   Reply With Quote