R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-07-2005, 10:20 PM   #7441
Tech Adept

Even with threadlock, the pin and setscrew will come loose if any fuel or degreaser gets to the CVD!!

Since the setscrews in the CVD of my Losi truck and NTC3 flew out even after I put threadlock, I put threadlock on the setscrews and retighten them before every race. I am just looking for ways to cut down the maintainence work. Seems universal can save me some work. But some universals are not durable.
raceblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 10:28 PM   #7442

Send a message via AIM to bbntc3

I never have any trouble with the set screws on the cvds either. Alittle dab of lok tite always works. You could always go to red Lok tite instead of blue, but... you'll have to heat the set screw to burn up the lok tite when rebuilding.
Another option is heat shrink a boot over the cvd, if the screw falls out the pin will stay in. The boot would probably be kinda tight fit on the NTC3.
bbntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 11:44 PM   #7443
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

Well, I"m not the cleanest racer around and have gotten fuel, grease, degreaser (danged grease) as well as blood, sweat and other nast things (get your mind out of the gutter) on my car and have never had my CVD's come apart. . .

But if you gotta change, you gotta change!
Old 01-08-2005, 03:54 AM   #7444
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to FUK_WRX Send a message via AIM to FUK_WRX Send a message via MSN to FUK_WRX Send a message via Yahoo to FUK_WRX

Quote:
Originally posted by AndyT
I find the one major benefit I`m getting out of running the front one-way is the awesome turn-in it allows when off power.
Its very handy for Eastern Creek.......lets you really fly through the fast left-hander at the end of the main straight.......i also find it to be really good around Moorebank.
Having said that........the bummer with the front one-way is the loss of braking to the front wheels....it takes a bit of practice and experimenting with the radio setup (if your particular radio allows it) to get the car to stop in a straight line without ending up facing in the opposite direction
When marshalling races and being close to the track, it appears to me that the seriously quick guys are using front diffs or spools.....their cars really do decelerate big time, they really shed their speed so well....perhaps they just have their one-ways dialled in super- well??
Cheers
coool my car seems to hadnle preeety well in EC, just curious what shore tires you using over there?

Also where did you buy the spool? Is it the solid axle from AE? Any sign of wear n tear in the box? Does it strip da gears on lite collisions (you know how its like in EC)

Thanks

Luie
FUK_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 07:09 AM   #7445
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by raceblast
What durable universal drive shaft do u recommend for NTC3? I will replace the NTC3 CVD. I hate dealing with pins and set screws of CVD (never know when they will fly out)
I never had problems with the cvd after 2 years of running the same cvds. In fact I think its the best cvds for NTC3 you can get on the market. If you want a little tougher one, get the shiny bones. I have seen some ppl using the GPM ti cvd and only lasted an hour or so before it broke to pieces.
spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 07:27 AM   #7446
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

In my expirances, big dawgs in the front are the way to go. AE blues are good but a little soft and bend a little too easy when they meet their friend the boards. Shinny mips are the strongest I have tried, but at the expense of added weight.The better you drive the less you need these. Big Dawgs are in the middle for strenght and weight. I feel more confortable for the just in case factor. Never will try anything from GPM.
CHUCKMANDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 07:31 AM   #7447
Tech Apprentice

Agree that GPM stuff I've tried has been junk. I had a center swing shaft in an HPI car fall apart during the first run after I installed it.

What about the 'Bullet-proof your CVDs' article at HPI? I've been doing this for trucks and cars for a few years and never had one come apart.
i300i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 07:46 AM   #7448
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Haven't read it, but to tell you the truth, I have had no problems with the Big dawgs at all. Basically put the in and forget em, unless you get into major hit or just doing a complete overhaul.
CHUCKMANDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 07:51 AM   #7449
Tech Apprentice

HPI bullet-proof MIP CVDs
i300i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 05:37 PM   #7450
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by FUK_WRX
coool my car seems to hadnle preeety well in EC, just curious what shore tires you using over there?

Also where did you buy the spool? Is it the solid axle from AE? Any sign of wear n tear in the box? Does it strip da gears on lite collisions (you know how its like in EC)

Thanks

Luie
I`m using 40 shores all round which seem to handle and wear quite well at EC........in the cooler evenings for the finals i`m quite tempted to drop to possibly a 37 shore rear.
I think the part number for a AE spool is-
1704 Solid F/R axle
Cheers
AndyT  is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 05:46 PM   #7451
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by spawn
I have seen some ppl using the GPM ti cvd and only lasted an hour or so before it broke to pieces.
I`ve heard a few people comment that they havent been too impressed with the GPM titanium parts....both in terms of fit and durability.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:00 PM   #7452
Tech Adept

Has anyone ever had problems stripping teeth off pinions and ring gears in the ntc3's front diff. I have a very tight front diff setting, almost like a spool, would this cause it to stripp gears? does ant manufacurer make steel or harder gears i can replace it with?
idawina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 08:59 PM   #7453
Tech Fanatic

If youre using the "standard" diff gear and drive pinion, then its only a matter of time before you`ll find theyre stripped.
The "standard" diff gear and drive pinion are both black in colour, thats probably the easiest way to identify if these are fitted to your car.
To solve this problem change over to the newer diff gear and drive pinion. These are an off-white/creamish colour and are a much heavier duty than the black ones.
Cheers
Old 01-09-2005, 04:27 AM   #7454
Tech Initiate

I've read the HPI article about the bullitproof CVD's a long time ago and have used it ever since.Never,and I really mean never, had any problems what so ever.Check out this picture from the article and you'll understand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bullitproof cvd.jpg (27.3 KB, 119 views)
JosB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 06:32 AM   #7455
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just got a ntc3 #2033 will have sirio power what other hop ups do you guys think I need to do to bullet proof this car?
I have heard some say this car wont turn in.
reddishdsb is offline   Reply With Quote