R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-04-2002, 08:38 PM   #721
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Since you guys are on the tires/compound thing, I have a few foam tire questions that hopefully you can answer.

1) Anybody tried wider rears than fronts? if so, what types and how was it?

2) Can someone explain a little more the effect of softer springs with harder tires and harder springs with soft tires. The comments were made a few posts back.

3) what would be the ideal foam tires for a parking lot track (semi-smooth) treated with sugar water. Track temp around 140 F
rodneybarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 01:34 PM   #722
Tech Rookie

Send a message via ICQ to Barney Rubble
Default Tc3 and rain

Has anyone got a good solution for keeping water out of the engine it is wet alot here in the uk and everytime i race my tc3 nitro in the rain the airfilter just soaks up the water and fills the engine especcially if there is alot of standing water
Barney Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 01:42 PM   #723
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang
Default Go-Kart trick!!

I dont have a solution exactly, but I race karts and our series runs in the rain. Here are two possible solutions-just scale them down!!! We run a foam filter with a spring insert. That keeps the body of the filter in its original shape. The RC filters dont so try and find a paper filter and oil the heck out of it with filter oil. FInd a small . thin plastic bottle just a tad larger in diameter than the filter. Cut it so its as long as the filter and on the closed end of the bottle, screw it to the end of the filter. Make sure you use nylocks and wide washers!! You dont want to eat a nut into your crankcase or have whole screw pull through!!! Thats should help your problem immensely.

Next , but much harder is to build a silencer box over the carb and then run the foam filter inside. But good luck figuring that out!! Just make sure holes in silencer are pointing away from tires, etc!!!

Oh-yeah, and a lexan shield that covers the left rear tire woudnt hurt either!!! Either incorporated into the body or on the shock tower/diff case.

Last edited by rayhuang; 06-05-2002 at 01:54 PM.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 03:09 AM   #724
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If my NTC3 was weather proof I would race it in the rain with treaded tyres just for fun.
Old 06-06-2002, 09:02 AM   #725
Tech Champion

Default One-way QQQQ

I have a parts question!! I am assuming the Electric and the Nitro one-ways are the same, just with differnt length outdrives? Is that right?? I am borrowing a one-way from my buddies TC3 and need to know what parts to order to use it.

And, assuming you are NOT talking about collision damage, can the aluminum CVD's hold up against the one-way in the car? Or should I get Shiny CVD's before running the one-way??

Thanks guys,
Ray

Last edited by rayhuang; 06-06-2002 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-06-2002, 10:59 AM   #726

Send a message via AIM to bbntc3

I use the alum cvds with the oneway and solid rear diff with no probs. yet, when we raced the conversion tc3 it would twist the frt alum cvds out with the oneway, and had to switch to shiny cvds. I don't know what the diff is with the oneways theres 2 different part#, alot of people here are using the electric ball diffs in the NTC3 because it does'nt use the friction disc so theres less slip. I don't know if they are using the outdrives for the NTC3 on the electic diffs or not.
bbntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 11:24 AM   #727
Tech Champion

Talking bbntcs-Thanks!!

You know-I might just borrow my buddies electric One-way for my TC3 and bite the bullet and get the Yokomo One-way from SpeedtechRC. Thats cool about using the older steel diffs in the NTC3!! I might try that as well!!
Old 06-07-2002, 05:43 PM   #728

Just watch if you try the electric diffs, Ae says they will only last about 10 mins but i used them in my tc3 conversion all year just had to rebuild them twice as often. The guys here say about 5 races on a rebuild.
Old 06-08-2002, 01:11 PM   #729
Tech Adept

Talking

BB Dont You Have Somrthing Else To do But Hang Out On the Forums...... How about a trip to Atlanta? ....ImpulseDvr
Snake_bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 08:31 PM   #730

No Norm I have nothing else to do, I usually check the forum before I talk to you in the live chat each night so I think we need a life! When you going to Atlanta? We need to hook up there!!!
Old 06-08-2002, 11:54 PM   #731
Tech Adept

July 14th 2002 here is the Hook up .....gotta have your spaekers on thought
http://www.sugarbowlrc.com
Snake_bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 08:35 AM   #732
Tech Champion

Solid axle Part number??

Anyone know the part number for the solid axle for the NTC3?? I looked all over RC10 site, but couldnt find it. Know any stores that are carrying it?

Thanks,
Ray
Old 06-11-2002, 09:03 AM   #733

AE 1704 is the part # we've been tring it with the oneway but not much luck on short tracks. I think it would be great on long tracks with swooping turns. I'm not really for sure if the solid axle is a good idea on the rear of 200mm cars.
Old 06-11-2002, 09:57 AM   #734
Tech Champion

Default ONe-way!!

bbntc3-Thanks!!

Our tracks are huge!! One is 260'x 100++ and the other two are about 190' x 100' . We are pretty lucky here in OHio.

Ray
Old 06-17-2002, 04:40 AM   #735
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

Quote:
Originally posted by Hobbytown Racer
PW, man that pic is pretty clean! Nice mod but what is supporting the bottom of the tower to the diff case?? There needs to be a piece of aluminum tube cut to fit between the tower and case. With out the tube, the tower isn't being supported. When you tighten the screw down it would cause more stress on the tower and with a hard hit will break easier. Plus the upper case isn't really tight, the screw just goes through the hole and screws to the bottom case half.

The bushing and longer screw will work perfect with a piece of tubing between the two and will also tighten the case AND the tower at the same time. Wala
Thanks for comment on the pic. I just got back from a state onroad championship race and the tower isn't near a loose than what is was before. I do notice when I tighten those 2 screws that the shock tower will actually bend downward so I'll only tightened them down untill they start to bend and that's it. If you think about it, with the tubing in place between the tower and the diff case, you will only be able to tighten down on the screws untill they stop because of the tubing and after a race or two they might back out again like the screws in the tower to the upper diff case. So far it's holding up well beyong well.
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote