R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-05-2004, 04:42 AM   #7096
Tech Addict

My LHS are out for RTR bucks and not racers. Where can I get these cases? Thanks
Formula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 07:57 PM   #7097
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Formula1fan
My LHS are out for RTR bucks and not racers. Where can I get these cases? Thanks
try getting it directly from rdlogics.
spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 09:23 PM   #7098

Send a message via AIM to bbntc3

I have had both the polished (unfinished) cases and the anodized cases they both have to be massaged. Unless RD has done something different in the last year. I quit using the RD cases a year ago.
Flex in the case has alot to do with it. But... with a shaft car theres so much stress on the driveline somethings got to give. Plastic/nylon or whatever the gears are, takes the main load of the torque, thus weak link= stripped gears. Until someone make a bronse or some type of metal gears there will always be a gear problem, It's just something you have to live with. Unless you just jump ship like alot of other NTC3 owners have done.

I made the molds a year ago to try and come up with bronse gears, but never went any further with it. I'm thinking this may be the winter project, anybody interested in them???

Anybody ever thought about LD3 diffs and cases?? Will they fit??? Do they make a metal gear ball diff for the LD3??

If the RD cases is what you want, theres always a few sets on ebay.
Do a NTC3 search.
bbntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 08:14 AM   #7099
Tech Addict

Default More Questions

I will try the RD logics diff cases. I am also considering jumping to a G4.

There are two upgrades I am considering. KFactory 3 shoe clutch and RD logics pipe.

I am loosing power because of my clutch is slipping. I am going to try new shoes and springs, but has anyone else had this problem? Thanks.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:56 PM   #7100
Tech Initiate

Clutch slippage is related to oil or fuel contamination. Bearing grease can also be a cause. Dont forget to check the flywheel for wear on the shoe bead. Yes, a quality clutch will solve some of the problems. To test my clutch, (stock two shoes, cooper springs) I put my feet in front of the car and gas it. It should easly spin the tires.
CTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 05:36 AM   #7101
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by CTurbo
Clutch slippage is related to oil or fuel contamination. Bearing grease can also be a cause. Dont forget to check the flywheel for wear on the shoe bead. Yes, a quality clutch will solve some of the problems. To test my clutch, (stock two shoes, cooper springs) I put my feet in front of the car and gas it. It should easly spin the tires.
Thanks
Old 10-08-2004, 06:00 AM   #7102
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by bbntc3

Anybody ever thought about LD3 diffs and cases?? Will they fit??? Do they make a metal gear ball diff for the LD3??

If the RD cases is what you want, theres always a few sets on ebay.
Do a NTC3 search.
I looked at a friend's LD3 and the diff cases are different. With them being different the shock towers and therefore the suspension mounts are different. You may as well buy an LD3 and be done with it.

Using the RD cases on the bottom with the stock cases on the top seems to be a reasonable compromise for me. No gear failures and no stripped screws.
www.nbhc.com.au - www.teamxray.com
Z00M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 08:34 AM   #7103
Tech Adept

You guys work way too hard and spend too much money in this car. I can't believe with a thread this long, all that great information has been lost in translation. I utilize the same method as the electric tc3 by honing out some of the regular diff case as not to squeeze the bearings too tight. Along with that modification, I use two 1-1/2" screws with washers to hold the upper case - clinching the stock shock towers onto the lower half . Again tighten enough, but not to squeeze the bearings too tight. I have not had to replace any differential gearing at all. There is no striping and chewing of gears. The only time that any gear had been striped was due to a front oneway. The only upgrade that I have purchased has been a 4mm chassis and new ae fuel tank. I have raced this car almost as long as bbntc3. This car is still an amazing racer, even after two years with the car, it is still on the podium at the local clubs.
sook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 02:25 PM   #7104

I still love the car too! we also win with the car alot. I only had diff problems in the begining with the older gears, never had any trouble since. I also no what to do to keep the flex out of the cases. Our trouble reappeard the end of this season with the Richey/sirrio engine, this thing is a rocket!. Never had a engine perform like this. At our last big event for the year, there was at least 10 TC3 which most suffered some diff problems. Most were set to loose and they just melted as usual. Others weer due to oneways.
We used a solid spool in the front and they tear up everything, no matter what you do. We stripped 3 diffs front diffs with a spool , 1 front with a ball diff and one rear with a ball diff. We also stripped second gear out of the car twice, and it was'nt due from to loose gear mesh.

Theres always a few who never have any troubles at all with the car, which is great! I contribute all our diff troubles from the Richey and the lowest gearing for the car. With the HP and gearing someting has to give up! If you read what and what not to do to the diffs here most people with have little to no gear trouble.

I love to spend money!! especially on the car. 'SPEED COST, HOW FAST YOU WANTA GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'
Old 10-10-2004, 03:45 PM   #7105
Tech Adept

You go Bob! I still keep the little new Japanese engine going strong at our track. I use to run those big Italian horses, but became too expensive to keep up with the rate I was burning through them. I also switched to a more oil fuel, which adds a little more life to my engines without losing too much power. I still maintain to have fun with the ntc3 and will not give it up to other belt driven cars. All I can say is BEND over baby.....I got a shaft drive coming down the straight!
sook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 08:02 PM   #7106

We use all high HP engines on 30% fuel with 8% oil.. Have not fried any engines at all. We run 2 to 3 gallon of fuel through them then change rod and wristpin. The car does'nt need big hp engines at all to perform and perform well. Everytime we break at the track somebody always manages to say,' if you'd get rid of that V8 in the car it would'nt break as much!' But.... once your hooked with HP its hard to settle with anything less.

Sook: Glad to see you still like the car! And you still have fun with it. That's the main thing!! I thought you gave up on the car like most others! I'll have the bronse gears for sell if all goes well next season. I also refuse to do the belt thingy!!! BB
Old 10-10-2004, 08:25 PM   #7107
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Attended a race yesterday and my front diff got chewed up in the last few minutes of the main. Could it be too much torque to the gear as I was using 20/26 and stock single chamber pipe with NSR5. Tried to drive it like a FR car but the rear wheel just kept spinning like I am trying to do a burn-out
spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 03:44 AM   #7108
Tech Fanatic

Default Gears?

bbntc3 would it be possible for you to send me the gears that got tore up and or any damaged rear end parts so I could see them. I have a few ideas but I want to see if I'm right before I post it. I'll send them back to you with a new body...Let me know ok?
HELLION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 09:12 AM   #7109
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by spawn
Attended a race yesterday and my front diff got chewed up in the last few minutes of the main. Could it be too much torque to the gear as I was using 20/26 and stock single chamber pipe with NSR5. Tried to drive it like a FR car but the rear wheel just kept spinning like I am trying to do a burn-out
dude maybe forgot to rebuild the diff
me im using only a hyper cv in my ntc3 and always in podium finish or smetimes win the race.
rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 04:01 PM   #7110
Tech Initiate

I use a NSR at 20% nitro and it is way overpowered to the point of afecting the lap times negatively. But once you try high HP engines, you cant go back.
CTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote