R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-06-2004, 08:35 PM   #6976
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

yeah it's been a while, it's not going good for on road. no track so I can't let this engine sit here and go to waste.

Jon
Jon Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 07:43 AM   #6977
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Yokomo Centax

Anyone already using Yokomo's NTC3 Centax??

Is the spec, parts compatiable with MTX3 centax? I remember someone said it does, but anyone got 1st hand confirmation??
ttso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 07:07 PM   #6978
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yes, most of the parts are interchangeable with the Mugen clutch. The only part taht you probably cant interchange is the clutchbell, as the NTC3 uses different spacing.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 08:02 PM   #6979
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Where can I buy this Centax? Is there any on-line shop selling it?
Sedanfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 10:11 PM   #6980
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default Re: Yokomo Centax

Quote:
Originally posted by ttso

Is the spec, parts compatiable with MTX3 centax? I remember someone said it does, but anyone got 1st hand confirmation??
By just looking at it without doing the actual measurment, I am sure the ONLY different parts of this CENTAX compare to the MTX3 Syntec is probably the Clutch housing (or the thickness of the pinion gears as well...)

If this centax is designed JUST for NTC3, the spacing between the 1st and 2nd gear should fit the NTC3 perfectly, which, the MTX3 Syntec, is not, and required some spacing on the NTC3 2-speed gear box to clear the clutch housing....
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 11:28 AM   #6981
Tech Adept

hey what you guys using as lube for the diff gear. i'm using a spool, and i know even the slightest touch on power will cause it to strip. stealth lube, which assoc. recomends, seems to be more prone to strip. one of the better things i've used is white lithium grease. just wondered what you guys were using and to what degree of success. ty
hugh janus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 12:35 PM   #6982
Tech Champion

I think there are no GREASE will prevent you from stripping when you are running front 1-way or spool...............the extra torque from the track has no place to go, it will (1) twisted the CVD (2) twisted the dogbone (3) snapped the drive cup (4) the last....stripped the diff gear or the pinion gear...........

I use the AE diff stealth gear as manuel said......stripped 1 front 1-way gear after 2 days of racing....not really what I want to drive and see........then swtich back to ball diff, never stripped any gear in the past 2 years....even the originial black gears...no stripping.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:28 PM   #6983
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

i heard the Ae green slime lube will also work good for the front one way
Old 09-08-2004, 07:20 PM   #6984
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by wild gopher
i heard the Ae green slime lube will also work good for the front one way
You can try, but the green slim are suppose to use on the shock shaft....don't know what that green things will do on the diff gear or 1-way bearing..........but I am sure if the 1-way bearing screwed up because of the grease, that will cost you $50 to replace, you can't just buy the bearing, you have to buy the whole thing.........
Old 09-08-2004, 08:01 PM   #6985
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You may want to try dialectric grease for the diff gears. I use Serpent's One Way Lube for the one way bearings. I clean them with denatured alcohol and lube them with the one way. So far so good. I'm going to try the spool in place of the one way. You want to get the inside tires to lift up during the turns to make the spool effective. I think putting the old v1 rear suspension uprights to the front should make the shocks softer. I'll also try some softer springs. Having a soft front should lessen the destruction of the diffs and get the tires lifted.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:03 PM   #6986
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to rossiRocket
Default Re: Yokomo Centax

Quote:
Originally posted by ttso

This is the same clutch that Team Associated Factory driver Barry Baker uses in his NTC3. If it's good for him, it's good for me!

I just got me a set today from Ultimate Hobbies here in Orange county, CA. I got a good deal on it so I couldn't pass it up ~$99. I'll let you know how it performs and what not when I put it on the car. Just waiting on my digital calipers to come in the mail.
rossiRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 08:28 PM   #6987

Send a message via AIM to bbntc3

The dielectric grease works great for me. I think I was the one who spoke of it here. After switching to the newer mat. gears this year we have stripped or melted a single one. As for the black grease, it's nothing more than moly lube, it's use in mainly engine rebuilding. It can be purchased also at any Auto parts store.
Someone posted here about breaking mip shiny cvds. I said I had never broken one just bent a few. Now I can say they will break too!!
We use a spool in the front. This weekend we installed a new Srio modded by Dennis, this thing is balistic!!! Broke 2 mip shinys in the front and stripped second gear out of the car.( also, we never hit nothing, it just twisted the cvds out of the car) . I have never seen a car pull this hard. Can you say Horsepower!!!
We're a second faster a lap at local track. We also TQ'd last weekend and won the main!! Hell, we lapped the field!!
Great work Dennis!!! I'm sure the RD engines will live up to your expectations!!
bbntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 08:35 PM   #6988
Tech Addict

i was thinking about trying some stuff i have at work -special lube 101. its so slippery we cant use it on sterndrive bearings because the balls wont have enough friction to roll and you will end up with flat spots.

i have a brand new NTC3 and was wondering about maintenence. how often should i tear it down and check everything? what specificaly do you look for?
sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 08:49 PM   #6989
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

where do you guys get this dielectric grease? Im ready to try anything cuz stealth diff lube becomes liquid after a few runs, the black grease works ok, but i want better
Old 09-08-2004, 09:00 PM   #6990
Tech Adept

Have u tried the Tamiya ceramic grease? I have been using it to lube the diff gears of my NTC3 for a few races.
raceblast is offline   Reply With Quote