R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-17-2004, 06:57 AM   #6841
Tech Apprentice

Roddude65- Your tires will make the biggest change in your setup so try a little softer fronts or harder rears to start. This may get you very close??

Your diffs will also make a pretty big change in your car and how it corners. Tighten the rear to make the rear step out more in the corners and help you get pointed in the direction you wanna go, if you go to tight you will have issues.

You should also think about running a rear sway bar, A light/medium weight rear bar may also get rid of that push, again if you go to heavy the rear will step around the front in the corners.

Other than the changes you made to your diff the other stuff would have made only small changes in your setup, and you say you have a MAJOR push.

Good Luck
FFR3582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 07:11 AM   #6842
Tech Initiate

I used to have push problems for 1 1/2 years. Tried every setup in the world and ended up runing a one way in the front. If you look at Barry Baker setup sheets you will notice that he never uses diff. on front. I use it on permanent and parking lot tracks with little modifications.
CTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 08:04 AM   #6843
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ditto what CTurbo said.

Try the one-way in front. It definitely provides more steering in the turns.
ZipZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 12:23 PM   #6844
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by CTurbo
I used to have push problems for 1 1/2 years. Tried every setup in the world and ended up runing a one way in the front. If you look at Barry Baker setup sheets you will notice that he never uses diff. on front. I use it on permanent and parking lot tracks with little modifications.
Good idea, I was thinking of doing that next time I go out (long time to think between races...LOL)

My setup ATM

Copper/Gold
Front Blade set to soft/.078 wire style
70wt...RTR Pistons
42F/40R GRP Tires
Diffs both f/r

Slight push in the infield sections...Setup would work on flowing, wide open tracks
The Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 01:52 PM   #6845
Tech Initiate

That setup will work fine with a one way. Team Associated is very aware of the necesity of the one way for track use. If you take a new FT Kit , put a set of foams, and hit your track, you will notice an improvement even with the stock setup, over the old car.
CTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 03:55 PM   #6846

Send a message via AIM to bbntc3

We prefer a solid spool in the front instead of a oneway for short tracks, it' just suits me kids driving style better.
Maybe try 1/8 turn out front diff and1/2 to 5/8 out on the rear, also use less or more droop in the car for the push, I guess you have the slipper spring in the steering rack or do have it locked solid?? If all else fails set the car up at dead 0 caster/ camber and droop and start over.
I use 2 degrees camber 9 degrees caster 1 degree rear toe 0 toe in front 50 wt shock oils all the way round and #3 pistions, blade bar at 0 to 45 degrees on front 40 shore front and rear tires and purple springs front and rear,2 degrees droop front and 0 droop rear, and the car is on a rail!!! No push or nothing just good speed!!!!! Not trying to push foams, but if you guys have tire issues, or want to try the best tire for the $$ out there you need to switch to GQ racing foams. BEST FOAM TIRE ON THE MARKET!!!!! And the pricing is well with in reason!!!!! BB
bbntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 06:34 PM   #6847
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by CTurbo
you will notice an improvement even with the stock setup, over the old car.
Sorry, I forgot to mention....V2 suspension

I have to go with whatever I can get the cheapest...GRP's seem just fine to me. Get them shipped for $22 a set of four

one_problem_montoya on ebay is DA HOOKUP!

I've tried running a spool in electric...The amount of coasting & lack of steering off power doesn't work for me
Old 08-17-2004, 08:49 PM   #6848

Send a message via AIM to bbntc3

A spool with an electric car prob. would'nt work, to much friction. We never have been able to get a good setup for a oneway so we can drive it, the spool, works great. It knocked almost full second off our times and 2 more laps in five mins. So i'ts a spool for use for now.
Here the GRP foams were sorta hard to come buy, so everyone swithed to the GQ and theres no turning back now. Depending on where you purchase the GQ your looking at between $2 more to 3? less including shipping. I and a few others racers have switched completely and use the exact same setup. With these foams
the car is so much better hooked up on the GQ;s. Hell, I even have a sponcered GRP driver running the GQ's now. so I know for shure they are better.
I sell about100 pairs of these GQ foams a month and the only complaint I have heard is the 35 and 35 shore and 37 shore seems to chunk more. I have ran 40 and 42 shore front and rear and have only chunched 1 tire all season so far!! BB

Last edited by bbntc3; 08-17-2004 at 08:57 PM.
bbntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 10:35 PM   #6849
Tech Master

What did you find works better on your NTC3? 42/42 or 40/40

I'll be running on VHT-treated tracks...DIZZIALED!
Old 08-18-2004, 01:16 AM   #6850
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by The Black Kat
What did you find works better on your NTC3? 42/42 or 40/40

I'll be running on VHT-treated tracks...DIZZIALED!
38/38 or 40/40

with a Front-One-Way 38F/35R...but makes very little difference....the all-round best combo is the 40/40 on prepaired asphalt
Punkynutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 06:48 AM   #6851
Tech Adept

When choosing what tires shore to run, take into account the time duration of the race(main). Even though u have a good setup with softer tires (shore number below 40), your car performace may suffer towards the end of the race. Set up your car so that you can use the hardest tires possible.
raceblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 07:46 AM   #6852
Tech Apprentice

Black Kat- There is know perfect tire combo that works on every surface or even on the same track everytime. I could give you my setup and tire combo for our asphalt VHT treated track and it is more likely to not work than work for you.

If you race at only one track and they treat it the same everytime and you have close to the same number of car running each race day then you will come up with a tire combo that usaully works.

But if it rains a few days before the race, is windy and track gets dust on it, you have a low turn out , you have a high turnout, or they treat the track with different traction additive, they treat the track heavy or light with additive then the track can be very different requiring different shore tires.

IMHO it is always best to run the hardest tires you can and still get the traction you need. If you run different compounds front and rear and you run a main longer than 20 minutes or have a real aggresive track surface then you will want to cut your tires bigger on the end of the car that has the softer compound.

You should always be checking tire wear during your qualifiers so that when you get to the main you can figure out what diameter you need to run and how much bigger the softer end will need to be to keep you tires at the IDEAL size for the longest amount of time in the race. If you do not understand over/underdrive then you will need to so that you knwo how to expect the car to handle at the start of your main with slightly larger tires on one end, will it understeer or oversteer??

Also don't throw your car out on the track first thing in the morning and expect it to hook up and handle on rails right after they treat the track, it will take some time (cars on the track) to get it to come in. Many guys go out then the car is not right and then they start making changes one after another and then when the track "comes in" they are way off in there setup and have new problems to deal with.

Di d you try 40F/40R ? I ask becasue I see you were at 42F/40R

I hope this helps you.

Last edited by FFR3582; 08-18-2004 at 07:52 AM.
FFR3582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 08:13 AM   #6853
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Does ppl know (that they actually seen one or tried one) MUGEN MTX3 0. module Centax clutch work on NTC3? Thanks.........
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 08:15 AM   #6854
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to Mugen Power

Rookie Solara...still remember me?the members at rcmodel..
As i know...the Spur Gear could use at NTC-3,as i remember..
Install it may with Mugen Centax
Mugen Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 08:30 AM   #6855
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally posted by Mugen Power
Rookie Solara...still remember me?the members at rcmodel..
As i know...the Spur Gear could use at NTC-3,as i remember..
Install it may with Mugen Centax
Yes....how could I forgot....and THANKS for your information.
I am going to get a used one to try cause I want to slap the 22/29 for more speed....LOL
Thanks.......

Are you still MTX3 or already jumped onto the FT NTC3 wegon?
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote