R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-24-2004, 10:55 AM   #6736
Tech Apprentice

I use the Mugen centax on my NTC3 because I wanted to use 28T 2nd pinion for better speed on straight. I had to file the front sus pin holder for rear suspension a little bit to clear part of the centax, but otherwise its direct bolt on.
jasoncsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 02:26 PM   #6737
Tech Initiate

hmmm another problem i was having was my engine was loosing prower at full throttle.. do you guys think it was a problem with the carb??? engine is brand new with only break in tanks and i felt the engine wasnt reaching its full potential.
blitz jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 04:11 PM   #6738
Tech Rookie

Default which one??

hi lads,
i am buying a nitro tc3 factory team in about a week, and i am really looking for a good, fast engine to go with it. can anyone here PLEASE help me!!?? also can u tell me which pinion would be best?
tc3chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 04:53 PM   #6739
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by blitz jon
hmmm another problem i was having was my engine was loosing prower at full throttle.. do you guys think it was a problem with the carb??? engine is brand new with only break in tanks and i felt the engine wasnt reaching its full potential.
Sounds like the top is too rich
Old 07-24-2004, 05:56 PM   #6740
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Jason, I will most likely get the Mugen then.

For a good motor on a TC3, I would go with a OS TR-R if it is your first nitro motor or the tried and true MT12 will get you around the track pretty fast also.

If you want more power you could use any of the high end Novarossi motors offered but you will be better off learning to set up the car and drive it well then spend your money on the fastest motor made.
FFR3582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 06:05 PM   #6741
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally posted by wild gopher
Sounds like the top is too rich
Hey Wayne i saw you on thursday i was pitting right across from you...black guy with the red and white tc3 sorry i didnt come up to you but my car was pissing me off...

next time for sure...
Old 07-24-2004, 08:41 PM   #6742
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

were you at the table behind me?
Old 07-25-2004, 03:59 AM   #6743
Tech Initiate

yea i was right behind you pitting with a friend of mine a asian guy with a serpent.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:31 AM   #6744
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by jasoncsc
I use the Mugen centax on my NTC3 because I wanted to use 28T 2nd pinion for better speed on straight. I had to file the front sus pin holder for rear suspension a little bit to clear part of the centax, but otherwise its direct bolt on.
Are you using the .8 module gears? And also what type of motor mounts are you using? I too am looking for more top end. I heard of people using the mugen clutch but were'nt sure. Thanks for any info.
thomasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 04:36 PM   #6745
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Re: which one??

Quote:
Originally posted by tc3chimp
hi lads,
i am buying a nitro tc3 factory team in about a week, and i am really looking for a good, fast engine to go with it. can anyone here PLEASE help me!!?? also can u tell me which pinion would be best?
The factory team gearing is pretty good out of the box. Although, as some others have said, for very large tracks you may want to consider using some other clutch setup so you can fit 22/28 pinions.

These must be very large tracks though as I find the gearing pretty good even on our 180 foot straight. Having a motor that makes lots of RPM's certainly helps
www.nbhc.com.au - www.teamxray.com
Z00M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 05:19 PM   #6746
Tech Rookie

Default tc3

hi again,
so ive decided to go for a novarossi or a picco, but can anyone please tell me the optimum gearing ratios for such high revs, and also shall i get a mugen clutch?
tc3chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 06:54 PM   #6747
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: which one??

Quote:
Originally posted by Z00M
The factory team gearing is pretty good out of the box. Although, as some others have said, for very large tracks you may want to consider using some other clutch setup so you can fit 22/28 pinions.

These must be very large tracks though as I find the gearing pretty good even on our 180 foot straight. Having a motor that makes lots of RPM's certainly helps
Zoom, AE produces 28 pinions?
cow buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 07:00 PM   #6748
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by FFR3582
I want to run a centax clutch on my TC3 and am debating among the different clutches available. yokomo,GPM, K-factory, Mugen,??

I think I am going to go with the MTX-3 Pro-spec centax unless some one can tell me why one of the others that is available is better.

I like the Mugen clutch because it is a proven design and parts/bearings/gears/etc.. will be very easy to get at the track.

Are there any issues with mounting it in a TC3 that I should know about or any disadvantages to this centax over the other brands?

Thanks
Hi FFR3582, can you post somethin when you get the centax clutch on to tell us how its holding up on your NTC3.

Was also considering having a centax. My mate had one, think it was from K-factory. He has since moved on to Serpant. But he was saying that the gears in the gearbox was giving him heaps of problems. The power from the centax is strong hence he had to keep changing the gears as it was always stripping.
Old 07-25-2004, 07:16 PM   #6749
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: which one??

Quote:
Originally posted by cow buster
Zoom, AE produces 28 pinions?
I think the largest AE makes is a 27 tooth pinion. Some others have found that by using a Mugen Centax clutch, they can use the Mugen 28 tooth pinion.

I guess this is just my point of view, but if Barry Baker can beat the best of the best using the 27 tooth pinion then it must be good enough for me.

If you're just out bashing and you wanna run more than a 200 foot straight then I guess a 28 might be of some use.
www.nbhc.com.au - www.teamxray.com
Z00M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 07:46 PM   #6750
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: which one??

Quote:
Originally posted by Z00M
I think the largest AE makes is a 27 tooth pinion. Some others have found that by using a Mugen Centax clutch, they can use the Mugen 28 tooth pinion.

I guess this is just my point of view, but if Barry Baker can beat the best of the best using the 27 tooth pinion then it must be good enough for me.

If you're just out bashing and you wanna run more than a 200 foot straight then I guess a 28 might be of some use.
Point taken. Its all in the hand and the setup. Its just that nowadays the hands get a bit itchy when there is money is the wallet. Gonna make it a policy to spend only on tyres and fuel