R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-09-2004, 08:34 PM   #6451
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: Barry's v2 set up now posted

Quote:
Originally posted by chicky03
I ran that setup Sunday except with copper springs in the front and 40's all around and that was the best my car has ever been!!! I recommend trying it.

Paul
I'll give that setup a try. I've found the NTC3 to be EXTREMELY frustrating. No one at my track was handling too well last week, but I was really fighting it.

I also don't think the NTC3's are that well built. I am certainly looking for my next car already and I've only raced a handful of times with this car.

The NTC3 is FAR too fragile. There seems to be too much play in every working part compared to the Mugens and others. I've been very disappointed. I used to love Associated stuff going WAY back!!!!
elmar66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 10:00 PM   #6452
Tag
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

hi, thanks for the info ..i suspect if i will need a new 2 speed shoes, will " sure shift 2 speed " do the trick ?
i have tried pretty much everything from 1 - 5 turns but no dice..

Quote:
Originally posted by spawn
Try 4 turns, instead of testing it on the track, try holding the car with the handle, then slowly throttle, if you feel the car jerking suddenly, then the 2 speed is kicking it otherwise adjust the 2 speed screws. You will want to have the 2 speed kicking it somewhere during 1/2 to 3/4 throttle when holding the car. Then when you have this setting, go run it on the track and adjust to the track. Tried and tested and it works.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:46 PM   #6453
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Tag
hi, thanks for the info ..i suspect if i will need a new 2 speed shoes, will " sure shift 2 speed " do the trick ?
I suspect that the springs in your 2 speed may be compressed too much. Try taking them out and have a look at it. I have seen some tightening the spring till it was squash. The new shoe are cool in the fact that you can see how much far your screw are and the condition of the spring. I am still using the old shoe and have yet to have problems with the 2 speed.
spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 12:13 AM   #6454
Tech Addict

Default Re: Re: Barry's v2 set up now posted

Quote:
Originally posted by chicky03
I ran that setup Sunday except with copper springs in the front and 40's all around and that was the best my car has ever been!!! I recommend trying it.

Paul
can you copy paste the v2 set-up of barry baker on this thread, as i can't access the file due to lack of adobe file. thanks.
thefuzzclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 01:28 AM   #6455
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Racing4Evo

Hi,

I'm getting a FT NTC3 to try out. What are the weak points that need regular maintainance and rebuilding? Besides the fix, is there anything I should get to make the car withstand the long main?
Racing4Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 04:52 AM   #6456
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Tag
Tag,
How new is your car. If usually takes a while for the ver1 2 speed to start to engage. If you just started using it, put it back to stock 3 1/2 turns out and be patient. I have a ftntc3 too. Just tried it once and damn, it shifted from the get go.

Can anyone tell me what the advantages of using the shim for the rear camber setup?

I used the ft once with pretty much the stock setup and did see a nice improvement in the push area. Hopefully this weekend the weather is not like last week and I can see what this car can do.

As far as the old version, I have one since the car came out 3 years ago, maintain it well, and it still is a beast. With all the newer cars out here, kyoshos, 710s ,mtxs, I do not see anyone out there with a noticable advantage. I just lack a little top end but will be replaceing my main engine, the rbx12 that I bought with the car, which still moves on a small to med track.
CHUCKMANDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 04:56 AM   #6457
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:
As far as the old version, I have one since the car came out 3 years ago, maintain it well, and it still is a beast. With all the newer cars out here, kyoshos, 710s ,mtxs, I do not see anyone out there with a noticable advantage. I just lack a little top end but will be replaceing my main engine, the rbx12 that I bought with the car, which still moves on a small to med track.
You bring that car to Edison on Jun 27th,and I'll show you the advantage of the R40..

(Hi Coach....Hope all is well)..

Last edited by fastharry™; 06-10-2004 at 05:05 AM.
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 06:52 AM   #6458
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Bottom line, it's the driver and set up
thomasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 08:28 AM   #6459
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default Re: Re: Re: Barry's v2 set up now posted

Quote:
Originally posted by elmar66
I'll give that setup a try. I've found the NTC3 to be EXTREMELY frustrating. No one at my track was handling too well last week, but I was really fighting it.

I also don't think the NTC3's are that well built. I am certainly looking for my next car already and I've only raced a handful of times with this car.

The NTC3 is FAR too fragile. There seems to be too much play in every working part compared to the Mugens and others. I've been very disappointed. I used to love Associated stuff going WAY back!!!!
I don't know what to say, but I own Serpent, Kyosho, HPI and others.....NTC3 are not any weaker or fragiler then any of those cars above.........when you hitting board left and right, all cars are fragile...........and yes, NTC3 break arms and legs like others, but I dont see those S710 are any stronger....(I sell quite a lot of serpent parts at the track for the Serpent camp.)

And about setup and tunning.........NTC3 is by far the easiest in the market, I will say very close to MTX3 and R40.....but the best part is, the car is by far the LIGHTEST in the class........STOCK. If you want to get your Serpent, Mugen HPI or others to 1750g.......try spending $100 plus on options first.

About the 2-speed.......yes, sure shift is a little bit EASIER to see, but about tunning the 2-speed on NTC3, the old one and the new one are exactly the same.........3.5 turn out is a starter point, I set mine to 4 - 4.5 turn out for a 200 feet straight and shift nicely.

Yes, try to replace those springs like 4-5 races...you cannot tell they are bad or still good.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 09:16 AM   #6460
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 0 degree Blade?

On Baker's set-up, he shows a 0 degree blade setting. Does this mean vertical or horizontal?

I'm guessing that it's vertical due to the much improved steering I'm getting on my v2, but don't know for sure.

His set-up is so different from any of the v1 set-ups. Has anyone seen the technical differences between the v1 and v2? What geometry change did they make that's driving such large changes in basic settings?

CHUCKMANDO:

Not really an "advantage" issue with the washers. Inserting washers changes the radius and working angle of the camber link. This, in turn, affects how the rear tire camber changes in reaction to suspension compression. I'm not looking at my car right now, but I think that adding washers in the rear would lessen the change in camber setting while driving.
ZipZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 11:00 AM   #6461
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default Re: 0 degree Blade?

Quote:
Originally posted by ZipZap
On Baker's set-up, he shows a 0 degree blade setting. Does this mean vertical or horizontal?

I'm guessing that it's vertical due to the much improved steering I'm getting on my v2, but don't know for sure.

His set-up is so different from any of the v1 set-ups. Has anyone seen the technical differences between the v1 and v2? What geometry change did they make that's driving such large changes in basic settings?

Nope....0 degree = "--"...you are looking at the blade from the side, like a cross section of the sway bar....90 degree (pointing north) is vertical, standing up position.
The more vertical of the sway bar, = the stiffer the bar is = the harder the suspension, good for high bit, high speed turn sweeper, large track.
The more horizonal is the complete opposite.

V2 get more rear trackion, and I think that has to do with the rear upright linkage with multiple roll center adjustment, stock V2 setting make the car push a little, need to work something on the front diff, sway or shock to get some steering back.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 03:38 PM   #6462

Send a message via AIM to bbntc3

It seems the V2 suspension has more camber gain when driving. The washers kinda spaces the links up so theres less camber gain.
bbntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 10:24 PM   #6463
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Regarding the fix. Where do you get those long bolts or whatever they are that go through the front shock tower. I know it has probably been covered here, but I don't want to sift through 40000000000000 posts to find it.

Thanks...

Scott
Old 06-10-2004, 11:27 PM   #6464
Tech Apprentice

go to page 196 or 197, i have this one in my car and no regrets, made my tc3 almost indestructable
rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 12:31 AM   #6465
Tech Apprentice

Default 5/16 hex screws fitting with Hudy driver

Guys,

While I am assermbling my NTC3, I found that I could not fit my newly bought Hudy 5/16 hex drvier into the heads of all the flat head 5/16 screws. The Hudy driver seems to be a little too big. Just wondering if any of you guys have the same problem, or is it just me....I measured the Hudy 5/16 driver and the tip is near to 2mm, I guess if its just me than maybe I bought my Hudy driver comes with a wrong tip....
jasoncsc is offline   Reply With Quote