R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-07-2004, 09:20 PM   #6436
Tech Apprentice

Default re;DIFFS

im not doing anything wrong,started at the stock settings and being the car was so loose and nothing helped i back the diffs off.1/2 on the front 5/8 on the rear and both were less than 2 runs old.i have run the same diffs all last season with no problems at all not even a bad gear.i only rebuilt them with all fresh parts just to start off fresh not because i was having problems.the only other thing i can possibly think might be my problem is i had to reuse the balls from the original rear diff because i didnt have extras at the time for both diffs,but it seemed to work fine.can someone check something for me?if you hold the 2speed gears so the driveshaft locks and hold one tire while trying to turn the other does it turn relatively easy?like checking the diff in an electric car.maybe im getting somewhere now.sometimes frustration gets the better of you .again guys thanks for the input.hopefully ill take the car apart again and find something obvious wrong.
morpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 09:39 PM   #6437
Tech Apprentice

if Im not mistaken, it shouldnt turn at all unless the shaft also moves
R1ceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 12:12 AM   #6438
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

hey guys, heres the scoop. ive ordered a ntc3 rtr plus for a friend of mine, its on its way from towerhobbies. 299 aint bad hehe. anyway, so far the only upgrade coming with it is the rpm front bumper, and we were hoping on getting some advice.

1st and foremost, please post any tips/tricks to setting up the car, breaking it in, and running it. these would be greatly appreciated as we have never run nitro. also does the rtr plus come with a throttle return spring?

2nd, what are some really effective/needed upgrades for the car? things to get the car to handle and respond well while being easy to drive. can some of you guys post pics of ur ntc3's so we can have some ideas to work on to "pimp" our ntc3

Lastly, I myself am planning on a ntc3 as well, the plus seems very good to start off but i am planning to be racing in the future, and as ive learned with my electric tc3, i would eventually upgrade to a factory team. so, im looking at the factory team, what components(radio, engine, tires) do you guys recommend and what and where is the cheapest ntc3 factory team found?

thanks.
R3VoLuTiOn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 12:38 AM   #6439
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Most of the questions you ask have been answered in this thread many times. Have a read through it & you will get heaps more info than a few replies.
soc123_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 01:47 PM   #6440
ade
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Barry's v2 set up now posted

Barry's set up used in Las vegas is now posted on Associated's site. This may be a good starting point for most of us.

http://www.teamassociated.com/racerh...vegas_2004.pdf
ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 05:04 PM   #6441
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

im sorry, i dont have the patience to go thru 161 pages. but since you reccomended it, can you answer my questions since you have read those pages?
R3VoLuTiOn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 07:47 PM   #6442
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default A couple responses

R3VoLuTiOn:

The problem with your questions are that they would require lots of space to answer completely, but here are some quick ideas.
On the RTR Plus, get a failsafe. The rest of the kit is fine. I like the new front bumper as well as the RPM version; it's not that old kydex POS. Set it up and break it in per the manual. You'll eventually need foam tires to race competitively.

I used everything out of the box for my FT NTC3, except for the radio tray. I upgraded to woven graphite. The kit is a pretty consistent price on the internet. Again, get a failsafe. It is, with foam tires, very competitive out of the box.

morpwr:
Backing out 1/2 on the front diff makes it looser when applying power. The front end won't pull through. It's not surprising to hear that backing out that much (1/2 & 5/8), given you have a strong motor and tight clutch, would burn up parts.

I, too, found that converting to the v2 rear end gave me more steering and made me much looser. However, my biggest compaint with the v1 was getting it to turn enough. After installing the v2, I had to soften the rear somewhat, add rear camber, soften the compound, and loosen the rear diff a bit before I got it to work. The bottom line was that the v2 rear end produced a much bigger change in the handling than I would have expected. I can't explain why. I have found that driving with the front one-way is much easier on the v2 than it was with the v1. I'm using it on much tighter tracks than I would have considered previously with the v1 because I'm getting much better power off steering.
ZipZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 08:00 PM   #6443
Tech Apprentice

Default re;version 2 loose

yes same results here,i think associated went from one extreme too the other.but i think ill be happy now.yes centax and 1.52 hp motor with ld3 gearing which is much lower than the tc3.we run on a small track that is also very tight.alot of on and off the throttle.i did find the problem though another bad rear diff,could be because of the used diff balls i was forced to use. and for future reference guys you can check these diff the same way as an electric.hold the 2speed gears and one tire while trying to turn the other ,it shouldnt turn easy.mine did before i checked it again even with it set at the stock setting.well i learned a valuable lesson dont over look the obvious.but thanks for all the suggestions guys.
morpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 08:13 PM   #6444
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to chicky03
Default Re: Barry's v2 set up now posted

Quote:
Originally posted by ade
Barry's set up used in Las vegas is now posted on Associated's site. This may be a good starting point for most of us.

http://www.teamassociated.com/racerh...vegas_2004.pdf
I ran that setup Sunday except with copper springs in the front and 40's all around and that was the best my car has ever been!!! I recommend trying it.

Paul
chicky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 02:34 PM   #6445
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Greg Amendola
Default Pro-built NTC3, raced very little FS

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5903396238

Check it out if you are intersted in the best racing package to get you started in Nitro on-road. This car is dialed and VERY fast!

It's been a pleasure racing it for the past two months, but I've decided to golf and spend time with the family this summer!

Thanks,
Greg
Greg Amendola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 03:33 PM   #6446
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

215 pages is a lot to look and read through. Hey Guy's can ya'll point me in the right direction for the new fuel tanks other then the stock ones? I looked at K-Factory and they are sold out unlike most of the cool looking hopup parts for the NTC3

Thanks in advance
NOTFASTENOUGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 04:03 PM   #6447
Tech Initiate

Here are acouple of links to the K Factory tank.

http://acehardwarehobbies.com/2.2/ca...acturers_id=65

http://precisionrc.com/cgi-bin/cart.pl?BR=KF1&DT=4
DMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 04:14 PM   #6448
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

DMACK, Thanks for the help looks like their stuff is all on hand. not sure what I was looking at but most on the other site said out of stock. I was like crap!
NOTFASTENOUGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 06:42 PM   #6449
Tag
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

does anyone knows the starting point for the 2 speed tranny ? i couldn't get this thing shift today..i was running mt12 21/25 gearing...thanks !
Old 06-09-2004, 07:26 PM   #6450
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Tag
does anyone knows the starting point for the 2 speed tranny ? i couldn't get this thing shift today..i was running mt12 21/25 gearing...thanks !
Try 4 turns, instead of testing it on the track, try holding the car with the handle, then slowly throttle, if you feel the car jerking suddenly, then the 2 speed is kicking it otherwise adjust the 2 speed screws. You will want to have the 2 speed kicking it somewhere during 1/2 to 3/4 throttle when holding the car. Then when you have this setting, go run it on the track and adjust to the track. Tried and tested and it works.
spawn is offline   Reply With Quote