R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-14-2004, 07:10 AM   #6271
Tech Regular

The stock FT chassi, FT-radioplate, FT-chassi braces weights 254 g in total. So if the "BMI gen 2" chassi is 100 g lighter it should be roughly 150 g total. That would be very light but also make the CG higher of course.
Niklas Edlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 02:33 PM   #6272

Send a message via AIM to bbntc3

I'm at 1790 with body but no fuel. I weigh it with no fuel and tweak with 1/2 tank. I would rather the car come in later on in the race instead of the begining.
I use the stock team bodies alot which is what the car is weighed with, they are heavier than most after market bodies, so that and heavier servos and trinity 1100 flat packs is where the weight difference is. Seems to me when I switch from Gen 1 to Gen 2 I only lost about 60 grams. The BMI is much easier to maintain and work on then the AE chassis.
Niklas: most people say the same thing as you about the BMi being lighter. (CG)
But... The weight is offset below the drive shaft, not above the shaft, like the stock with upper deck and the steering servo mounting has also been offset below the servo.
I won't say the BMI is traction roll proof, but is damn near!!!

Number 11: So you don't find removing the steering rack, steering servo or front diff , or cleaning the car any easier than the stock chassis???
Hmmmm! I must be missing something here! LOL

Last edited by bbntc3; 05-14-2004 at 02:41 PM.
bbntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 03:27 PM   #6273
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by bbntc3

Number 11: So you don't find removing the steering rack, steering servo or front diff , or cleaning the car any easier than the stock chassis???
Hmmmm! I must be missing something here! LOL
Huh??? You lost me here. Why would I need to remove the rack, servo or front diff to clean the car? Are you talking about the BMI or stock chassis? I just remove the tray and clean with the stock chassis.
Number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 07:24 AM   #6274

I did'nt mean take the rack out to clean or the servo out to clean. Just meant if you had to access these pieces its much easier. And clean up is much easier also.
I also feel the servo mounted oddly like it is, makes the car steer better, no binding, and if you use after market larger driveshafts theres no problem with the steering rod ends hitting the shaft.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:40 PM   #6275
Tech Apprentice

ok ... lets talk weights ... I bought My NTC3 last summer as a used RTR ... this past winter I got a screw kit for it and all new braces, radiotrays, diff cases, bumper mounts the whole nine in graphite composite ( the molded graphite stuff where I could ) I just weighed the car ... with an airtronics 94357 steering and 94102 throttle/brake servos, novak Xxtra reciever, trinity 5x1100 rx pack stratus 2.1 body and nitro shoes foams out of the box it weighed in at 1922g ... now .. thats with the v2 rear end on it and also a front one way ... now how in the heck did you guys get it down to 1725g ... I even ground away a little of the chassis under the servos so they didnt rub any ... I have to drop about 200 grams to get there ... also I use a Mugen MT12 with the standard 2 shoe clutch and standard 2 speed ... any thoughts ...

have fun racing

E
roddude65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 09:52 PM   #6276
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Greg Amendola
Default Weight is not the problem

I would be more concerned about driving setup and skilss before I'd worry about weight. I'm plenty over the weight, but I'm note driving 6' off ever corner and driving and extra 500 feet per race so guess who gets to the finish line first???

Reducing weight nearly always comes at the cost of durability and consistancy (parts are less durable). My suggestion is to stick with what you have. If you are still concerned about weight, throw thw new Sirio in the with 1.6HP, that should end your worries quickly.
Greg Amendola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 02:59 AM   #6277
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by roddude65
ok ... lets talk weights ... with an airtronics 94357 steering and 94102 throttle/brake servos, novak Xxtra reciever, trinity 5x1100 rx pack stratus 2.1 body and nitro shoes foams out of the box it weighed in at 1922g ... now .. thats with the v2 rear end on it and also a front one way ... now how in the heck did you guys get it down to 1725g... any thoughts ...
I'd guess the 102 + uncut foam + stock clutch + Novac + MT-12 + whatever somehow adds up to 200g over a 757 + 61mm foam + Kawahara centax (w/ alum flywheel) + FT 2speed + Airtronics receiver + Picco XP 12? I just weighed mine again, box stock Factory Team kit (except wheel hexes and Kawa clutch), race ready without fuel (just like you would take it to tech), and it came in at 1732g. In my book that is cutting it way to close. Foam is heavy: 65mm vs 58mm = 15-20g difference.
seamus0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 01:18 PM   #6278
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

I would say 1922 gram is a little odd.....if your scale is correct, there must be something that you added on the car but it is not suppose to..............I would not saying your servos are heavy, but little by little, they can all add up....

Mine is a old NTC3 with the V2 upgrade, duel chamber pipe, then stock everything.......I even have the 3racing carbon side brace and the Kyosho 7.5 fuel filter, brand new nitro shoes (not cut yet, stock diameter), Dodge 2.1 protoform, stock 2 shoes, stock clutch housing, stock 2 speed, stock silver shaft, F/R the fix added, no light weight screws (all stock), mesh carbon radio plate, stock suspension arms, not carbon, 3PK receiver with 2 4 years old Futaba analog servos, 5 2/3A batteries, small block Sirio 15 engine (yes, it is 15)..........weight 1780 (no fuel)...

I have to agree, WEIGHT is probably the last thing to concern....skill, setup are always the first to look up, then do the options upgrade....last, the weight....NTC3 does not have any weight problem, so it should not be the point of attack.

Light weight = less material = less density = easy to break....(ie. titanium screws or pivot balls)
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 02:44 PM   #6279

I've shaved weight everywhere I know. I have went as far as to crossdrill the pivot ball ends to remove weight. I even use stainless bolts and nuts and theres alot of extra weight there. I like the looks of stainless and the hex heads seem to be deeper,( you don't strip the heads as much), but stainless is not the way to go, stainless streches, and bends easily. I wish I could get a deal on Ti screw, I hate to pay $70 just for a few less grams.
I would agree with weight not a problem handling and driving make alot of it up.
Weight is good to a certain point, if you have High HP engines.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:11 PM   #6280
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by bbntc3
I did'nt mean take the rack out to clean or the servo out to clean. Just meant if you had to access these pieces its much easier. And clean up is much easier also.
I also feel the servo mounted oddly like it is, makes the car steer better, no binding, and if you use after market larger driveshafts theres no problem with the steering rod ends hitting the shaft.
Don't get me wrong I love the BMI chassis I just didn't feel comfortable spraying denatured alcohol over the electronics. I have 2 NTC3's and run them at different tracks so for me taking the tray out made it easier plus I didn't feel or see my lap times drop using the chassis.
Number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 06:27 PM   #6281
Tech Adept

I made the mistake of upgrading my NtC3. I have not broke anythig yet except for the stinger on my pipe. (knock on wood...) I just have to really careful when I drive. If you hit stuff,you will break stuff no duh!!!! My Ntc3 is 1700 grams cuz i purchaced parts that actually do something. I purchaced the integy radio tray, left chassis brace, the RD logic lightweight chassis (The old one was too messed up), golden horrizons aluminum brack cam to reduce flexing, and a yokomo one-way. That is all I have. nothing special. The parts are carbon fiber. They are very strong for my type of racing, so I have no complaints thank God.

- Dust
Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 09:00 AM   #6282
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Number 11
Don't get me wrong I love the BMI chassis I just didn't feel comfortable spraying denatured alcohol over the electronics. I have 2 NTC3's and run them at different tracks so for me taking the tray out made it easier plus I didn't feel or see my lap times drop using the chassis.
Compare to other RC car....NTC3 is by far the EASIEST car that I can do about cleaning....remove 4 screws, twist off the brake end cap, pop off the throttle linkage off the engine carb, pop off the steering linkage at the steering servo, the whole RADIO deck is off...

Then remove the engine will the pipe..........spray denatured alcohol all over and spray compressed air over.....car is like new in less then 15 minutes (did that last night after sunday 30 minutes A main...)

And yes...I don't feel comfortable about spray any liquid form of stuff over radio equipment, and I don't care how many ppl say denatured alcohol is OK with elect..............all I know is my receiver plus 2 servos are about $210 in total....
Old 05-19-2004, 09:03 AM   #6283
Tech Champion

Talk about chassis..............I think I am at the point that I have to upgrade my chassis (stock blue one)

I think most ppl did experienced the far side 2 engine screws will get STRIPPED because when car is turning, that side of chassis does rub against the floor quite offen..........I think almost every 2 race day, I have to replace the OUTSIDE 2 screws for the engine cause if not, I will not be able to remove those 2 screws without using the dremel tools.....

So my question is..........what aftermarket chassis does have a better protection about those 4 engine screws...?

Or may be I should consider using SWAY BAR on the NTC3 now....even though I don't really like to drive with sway bar....but that might be my solution.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:25 PM   #6284
Tech Adept

The RDlogics light weight chassis has resessed screw openings for the engine mounts to prevent them from hitting the ground.
This chassis looks exactly like the one KFactory sells, but at a cheeper price. The only difference is, that the Kfactory one is anodized and the Rd logics one is gun metal silver. They are the same weight and have the same streangth.

- Dust
Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 04:41 PM   #6285
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

anyone have any problems with the one way gears? I keep stripping them out wihtout even hitting anything, I read somewhere on here that a guy used a yokomo one way is that the ticket? its gettign frustrating.....I have the new factory team if that helps.
thanks
Mo
Mo Denton is offline   Reply With Quote