R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-30-2004, 02:42 PM   #6226
Tech Regular

Default FT 3-point rear hubs

Remember I had a problem in getting the FT rear 3-point hubs running as smooth as I wanted? I found the problem!

First of all if I only had started to polish all the pivot balls to begin with I had noticed that the balls did'nt run completely true (in the drilling machine). In fact some of them in this kit "wobbled" quite bad (in my book anyway). I noticed that now when I took it apart and did it in an attempt to just remove some friction etc. So... I took the four (newly polished) that ran true (ball not off-center to the treads) and re-assembled the rear hubs and now it was silk smooth even with like 3 degree of toe... Took a while but now I'm happy with the rear end.

The other pivot balls can be used in the steering knuckles, no problems.
Niklas Edlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 03:59 PM   #6227
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I found the same thing with my pivot balls as well.
I found the new hubs also tend to hold the balls in a little too snug even if the retainer cap is not on very tightly.
I put both pivot balls in the hubs with the retainers and then chucked them up in the drill press (one at a time of course!)
If you hold the hub and let the pivot spin in there and 'work' the hub around, it seats itself very nicely. Obviously, if you do it too fast or with too much force you will create too much friction and begin to melt the hub material. I didn't go that far, but they function pretty freely now.
I guess after a few runs they would free themselves up anyways but it bothered me enough to fix it.
snemi00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 06:41 AM   #6228
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Does anybody have the part # for the adjustment spring and screw that goes in the new two speed? The old part # is 2289. I wonder if its going to be a running change. If so, there probably be no way of telling the diffrence. Thanks
thomasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 12:02 PM   #6229
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by thomasf
Does anybody have the part # for the adjustment spring and screw that goes in the new two speed? The old part # is 2289. I wonder if its going to be a running change. If so, there probably be no way of telling the diffrence. Thanks
It is a running change but on a "new" partnumber. Its only available together with the new shoes though.

AE #2290 - 2-speed shoes, springs and screws "Sure Shift"
Old 05-04-2004, 10:38 AM   #6230

What about the diff cases? new number?
OB42TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 11:03 AM   #6231
Tech Regular

Default diff case change

nope, same part number, different part.
sedanaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 11:14 PM   #6232
Tech Addict

Default v2 rear suspension

i converted mine and the first time i tested, i hit mr. board and the left lower arm broke easily. the material looks hard but i think its brittle as compared to the old one. but handling was very good. decreased in forward push was very noticeable. you can expect increase in speed when cornering. good job ae!!!!
thefuzzclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 08:30 AM   #6233
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to chicky03

On the new cases the nubs that align the two halfs are shorter than the old ones. That is how you can tell the difference. They are great!!!

Paul
chicky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 04:13 PM   #6234
Tech Initiate

What is different about the new diff cases besides the alignment nubs?
DMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 07:08 AM   #6235
Tech Regular

Default new diff covers

they are "opened up" internally so there is no more dremelling required for a free spinning drive train.
sedanaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 09:48 AM   #6236
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally posted by Korgae

Other differences that stand out are the new gearbox's ( they have redone the mould, everything fits together with no binding ( no more dremeling the cases)

The springs in the 2 speed have bene changed, these hold the setting much better then the old spring.
Korgae: thanks for the info..........but can you tell is there any phyical different by the look of the outside of the CASES and the SPRINGS...? Different shape and different color...? Different parts #....etc?

I just want to know so I can order the REVISED version instead of the old version.......if the part # are differnet, that will be great...but if not, then I wish I can tell the different at my LHS but looking at them......thanks.

PS...I shoudl read the entire thread before posting...I think I've got the answer now...thanks all

Last edited by Rookie Solara; 05-06-2004 at 10:01 AM.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 10:03 AM   #6237
Tech Champion

Default Re: new diff covers

Quote:
Originally posted by sedanaddict
they are "opened up" internally so there is no more dremelling required for a free spinning drive train.
On the new case, do we need to replace teh WHOLE up and down case or just the TOP part...? I know they came with both up and down...just to see I can be a little bit lazy by nothing removing and replacing the lower case....LOL Thanks..
Old 05-06-2004, 01:46 PM   #6238
Tech Regular

Default Booth

You need to change booth, I havent even had the time to check our inventory yet. If I can see we have booth in stock I will take a note in the exact dimensions at least so you can see where the differences are. On our first generation FT cars I'm pretty shure it was the "old" cases though...
Old 05-06-2004, 06:41 PM   #6239
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The new cases can't be mated with the old, they changed the way they come together. The new ones look very similar though.
thomasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 11:49 AM   #6240
Tech Champion

Default Re: Booth

Quote:
Originally posted by Niklas Edlund
You need to change booth, I havent even had the time to check our inventory yet. If I can see we have booth in stock I will take a note in the exact dimensions at least so you can see where the differences are. On our first generation FT cars I'm pretty shure it was the "old" cases though...
Thank you guys, and now i know I have to stock 2 more cases (does FRONT cases same as the rear now...? Or they are different..?)

Trust me, I am not picking on you.....what is booth? Or it is typo for "BOTH"..? Just want to make sure I am reading the same thing.