R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-27-2004, 08:11 PM   #6211
Tech Apprentice

Does any one have a good set-up for a short tight track in about 60 degree weather. Our first race is this weekend and I have not had time to work on my NTC3. My son has kept me busy helping him on his RS4 3. Any imput would be great Thanks
nitro rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 08:32 PM   #6212
Tech Addict

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nitro rookie
Does any one have a good set-up for a short tight track in about 60 degree weather. Our first race is this weekend and I have not had time to work on my NTC3. My son has kept me busy helping him on his RS4 3. Any imput would be great Thanks [/QUOTE

try here:

http://www.teamassociated.com/racerh...ups_onroad.htm
thefuzzclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 08:48 PM   #6213
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

On the subject of clutches and two speeds. I've got a factory team ntc3 and the two speed wasn't shifting early enough so I unscrewed each screw a quarter turn like the manual suggested and it worked fine, but in the main event the thing started shifting too late on the straightaway. Any ideas on why or what is happening here? This is a new car, 2nd race weekend on it. Thanks for any help.

racer-oZ
racer-oZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 09:00 PM   #6214
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by racer-oZ
On the subject of clutches and two speeds. I've got a factory team ntc3 and the two speed wasn't shifting early enough so I unscrewed each screw a quarter turn like the manual suggested and it worked fine, but in the main event the thing started shifting too late on the straightaway. Any ideas on why or what is happening here? This is a new car, 2nd race weekend on it. Thanks for any help.

racer-oZ
the same problem i encountered, i bought and replaced the springs inside the shoes and it shifting will be alright but not for long since tension of the springs gets week in a very short time. one flaw that ae resolved in the in their version 2 which is now called "sure shift"
thefuzzclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 12:57 PM   #6215
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I was helping a friend of mine out last night with his new Factory Team and noticed something different.
The driveshaft that was on it was tapered at the ends.
I built my Factory Team a few weeks ago and it's got the same shaft I'm used to seeing for the past few years. He swares up and down that this was the shaft that was in the kit.
It's still anodised blue but just slightly tapered at the ends where it goes into the drive cups.
I called Associated just now to ask but their tech support agent I spoke to said he wasn't aware of any changes.

Anyone who's built a FT car let me know if you've seen this.
snemi00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 01:20 PM   #6216
Tech Regular

Default ntc3

I just opened the box on my ftntc3 yesterday and it has the tapered shaft.
sedanaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 01:26 PM   #6217
Tech Regular

Default centax

thomasf,
i meant the thread size to screw them on the clutch bell not the gear teeth. the gear teeth match.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:10 PM   #6218
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thanks sedanaddict, I understand now.
Well here's another one for you since you just bought a new FT kit. I'm just upgrading mine, and I was wondering in the instructions on the new rear end, how do they tell you to set the tracking width with the pillow balls? Do you use that plastic spacer? Space the front pillow ball with the spacer and adjust the rear for proper toe in, or the other way around? Or do I have it all wrong. Thanks for your help, or anybody who has the answer.
thomasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 09:42 PM   #6219
Tech Elite

bro whats the diff. of centax clucth in starting or engaging? compared to stock clucth shoe.
rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 10:11 PM   #6220
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The latest FT's do come witha tapered shaft, it is quite a bit thicker.

Other items that have been changed between the new car and the old car.

Other differences that stand out are the new gearbox's ( they have redone the mould, everything fits together with no binding ( no more dremeling the cases)

The springs in the 2 speed have bene changed, these hold the setting much better then the old spring.

For all of you wanting to try a centax, I would hold off just a bit longer, Barry Baker ran the Yokomo version at the speedline race and liked it.

I heard today that AE is going to package the Yokomo Clutch under their name. (Same as the current HD One Way)

hopefully this rumor turns true sooner then later
Old 04-29-2004, 04:47 AM   #6221
Tech Apprentice

Default version2

hi korgae,
hows things up north?hopefully things are going well with jaco up there!what is the starting setup for the rear with the version 2 suspension as all the mounting points are different.camber link position,shims on outside?,shock position....
thanks,
tom
morpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 05:46 AM   #6222
Tech Regular

Default ntc3ft

thomasf,
i just got to bag "e" last night. I get about an hour a night on this kit so it is a pretty slow build. I will have the answer tonight, but i am pretty sure you set the track width(rear pillow) with the gauge in the kit then use the toe gauge to set toe in(front ball).this is my third ntc3 an it is going together better than the ones before. one minor problem, the flat head 3/8 inch screws in the bag with the 4 upper deck corner pieces were too small in diameter and wouldn't cut threads into the graghite. i used some ones i had laying around to fix it.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:18 PM   #6223
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by crashed_1
Just a word of caution, these clutches engage really hard, which might cause your diff gears to retire prematurely. (Even worse if you have a powerful motor). I changed back to a 2 shoe clutch and the problems dissapeared.
2 cents
I was looking at installing a centax on my NTC3...I have had experience with them on my older MTX-2 and present MRX-3. The main reason that I stuck with the conventional-style clutch (well, I do run MIP shoes), is that to adjust a centax in the AE car, you need to unbolt the engine and lift it out; the rear chassis brace sits right in the way of the centax adjustment nut/bolt, depending on clutch brand. IMHO this defeats one of the primary reasons of such a design.

I'd rather put the money towards more tires.
Old Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 04:23 PM   #6224
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hi Tom,

the starting point on the new car from the manual is.

upper outer(or top hole) for the camber link on the TWR.
Shock is mounted in the middle hole. on the tower.

The kit calls for a #2 piston with 40wt oil and a gold spring.

Jaco is going awsome thanks for asking, the nice thing about the west is that the weather up here has ben nice for the last 6 weeks.. the season has just started, so as I test more I can post my results.

Cheers.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:29 AM   #6225
Tech Master

I just bought a Dynamite fuel gun today. Wow am I impressed. The thing works flawlessly. Does'nt spill a drop, and fills right up to the top. Its probably the best 30 bucks Ive ever spent in RC.