R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-17-2004, 08:25 AM   #6106
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

yo Niklas, why dont you post what you have done on the FT NTC3 on http://rc.kel-ain.com/ . Sow&steady created this site that may be useful for ppl building new cars. You building process and ideas will be very useful for all current and new NTC3 drivers.
spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 08:33 AM   #6107
Tech Elite

Default Upgrading to V2

Guys I have upgraded my NTC3 to V2 suspension. Tip: remember to aslo buy 2 4-40 7/8 to mount the shocks as the V2 shock tower is thicker. The orginal 4-40 3/4 is too short. I have only tried 1 tank so far and the feel is that there is more steering and less push. Also the rear arm is very thick, looks strong and the hub carrier is very stiff which is very good for racing. Also there is almost zero play in the rear suspension except for the slightly flexible shock tower, I probably will consider to change it to carbon once its available in the LHS. Thumbs up to AE for this. The roll center is so much more adjustable and I like to have a low roll center.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg v2 1.jpg (174.7 KB, 171 views)
Old 04-17-2004, 08:36 AM   #6108
Tech Regular

Spawn: thanks for the offer but I dont have time... Your free to cut and paste the material though and use it at that site. I will make it available in a sort of "manual" when its ready in a pdf or two...
Niklas Edlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 08:41 AM   #6109
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Niklas Edlund
Spawn: thanks for the offer but I dont have time... Your free to cut and paste the material though and use it at that site. I will make it available in a sort of "manual" when its ready in a pdf or two...
Okay At least I have permission from you to cut and paste. I will requote what you have written once Sow&steady creates a specific thread for NTC3.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:12 AM   #6110
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Who said that they (Craig/Barry) used 22/54...?
Don't worry, some people hear noises in their head.

Please check your message inbox.
EVOLUTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 10:22 AM   #6111
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Upgrading to V2

Quote:
Originally posted by spawn
Thumbs up to AE for this. The roll center is so much more adjustable and I like to have a low roll center.
Looking forward to tomorrow's / today's duel !
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 10:23 AM   #6112
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Who said that they (Craig/Barry) used 22/54...?
My bad. I assumed when you said earlier that "we" used 22/54, you were referring to the team as a whole.

Quote:
We used that gearing though & with me I mean me as a mechanic and Niklas Håkansson as a driver... Craig/Barry did use a Sirio though at the end.
What gearing did Craig / Barry use?

Anyway, nice videos you made Niklas. Do you have any more for download? Perhaps the whole A main final? Thanks.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:31 AM   #6113
Tech Regular

I dont know what Craig/Barry used. No more vids either... I held the camera for some shoots, my friend Niklas Håkansson did them though (hosted on his site).
Old 04-17-2004, 11:26 AM   #6114
Tech Prophet

What engine did you and your friend use?

Niklas, can you post the link to your friend's website that has those videos hosted?
Old 04-17-2004, 11:29 AM   #6115
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Gears

Quote:
Rokkie: in Portugal we used 22/54 (31.7 roll-out on first speed) and 26/50 (40.5 roll-out on second).
By this I take it that you started with 62 mm tires front and rear... How was the tire wear? Was the front and rear tires wearing about the same?
Old 04-17-2004, 11:41 AM   #6116
Tech Regular

Default Re: Videos

Quote:
Check out our videos from the European Champs last year in Portugal. It was a huge track and really, really hot.

http://www.teamspeed95.nu/IMAGES/PortugalEMBana.wmv
http://www.teamspeed95.nu/IMAGES/PortugalEM-1.wmv
http://www.teamspeed95.nu/IMAGES/PortugalEM-2.wmv
http://www.teamspeed95.nu

We used last years NovaMega 2105T (not the MS), shimed 0.3mm (should have used 0.4). The tall 11-flange head modified as I earlier described. NM C5TF plug or RB 5T. Sharpened inlet on crank, then polished, stock timing. Std height on exhaust port (about 4.2mm - just loses torq and consumes more juice if higher). Used spanish branded Crash-Fuel (mixed by Jonker same that does Tornado - cant be compared to Tornado though) with 12% oil and 16% nitro. Run in by a cut-down Serpent/Hudy propeller... it wanted to rev... And oh, yes - used an boost bottle also.

Last edited by Niklas Edlund; 04-17-2004 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:52 AM   #6117
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Gears

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
By this I take it that you started with 62 mm tires front and rear... How was the tire wear? Was the front and rear tires wearing about the same?
It was "bad". The track was the smoothest you will ever come a cross anywhere. But the top layer of asphalt was so course. It was kind of the same amount of pot-holes in it (area wise) as there was stones in the asphalt. After the finals I photoed some cars and almost lost the body clips in some "holes"... Smooth but course... difficult to describe.

Yes, when the car was good we used 62 mm in qualifying but when we chased it we used them right out of the (Ellegi) box = about 64 mm. Barry/Craig tested a set of Ellegis though and it was very slippery vs Jaco (at that track). We had no Jacos with us to test with.

Due to the fact it was somewhat slippery we had to chase the set up so it was to be more neutral and not stepping out the rear all the time. But even so NH was top-ten in practice Colin-Mcray-style. But of course it teared up the rears more quickly. In the end we used 40/40/40/42 on the car and the 42 was on outside rear.
Old 04-17-2004, 12:04 PM   #6118
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Videos

Quote:
We used last years NovaMega 2106 (not the MS), shimed 0.3mm (should have used 0.4). The tall 11-flange head modified as I earlier described. NM C5TF plug or RB 5T.
Just guessing here that with a hot plug on that kind of track and with 0.3 mm shim, it will not make so much power on the high end.

Quote:
And oh, yes - used an boost bottle also.
Is that boost bottle a myth?
Old 04-17-2004, 12:08 PM   #6119
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Gears

Quote:
Barry/Craig tested a set of Ellegis though and it was very slippery vs Jaco (at that track). We had no Jacos with us to test with.
Yup. I may be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that Ellegi tire's more open foam cell structure favour smooth and closed type asphalt. I think Jacos are more compact which favours the rougher surface...
Old 04-17-2004, 12:28 PM   #6120
Tech Regular

Go figure - it was about 1-2km/h slower on the straight then Salvens missile. We didnt miss anything on top and had an awesome midrange (no really slow corners). It picked up super nice and the idle was ticking low.

Boost: Myth or not, it worked for us. But there is so much more important stuff to do or know about before you even could notice any advantages...

Ps, typo - it was a 2105T (the 2106 is this years model with the bigger crank).