R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-23-2001, 01:11 PM   #46
Tech Apprentice

I have been wanting to come down and run with the guys in Parkersburg.Bunch of nice guys.Some of them came up for the HPI Challenge last fall.My email is [email protected] or you can catch up with me at Corcars forum.We run a pretty layed back parking lot series.We won't be running agian until @ April.
Funny I have a 14 year old too....he is my team mate.Great way to bond with your son.
We will be having a big race in the fall at the same location that we hosted the Challenge.That should be a "must do" event.
blimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 08:38 PM   #47

Send a message via AIM to bbntc3

Yea man I race at Parkersburg every Sat. night in the season. They too are a layed back bunch of nice guys and run a great show!! We are trying to get a permanent track here in Charleston but the politics are really wearing on us, but we will not give up!!!!! I also race some parking lot stuff with the wvrock guys at Hobbytown in Crosslanes WV. I think alot of them went to the HPI chalange in Cinci year before last and had a great time. Yea the father son deal is the way to go I think too, We have a real great time! I also have a 4 year old thats starting to get interested we take him racing with us most of the time. He's alittle young but we'll start him with the TC3 conversion in a year or 2, he's almost ready, he's almost mastered the Tyco stuff!!!!!! You have a great Holiday and we'll keep in touch!

BB
bbntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 08:56 PM   #48
Tech Apprentice

Believe it or not I know where Crosslanes is.I'm originally from Huntington.Maybe we will try to make it down this summer! Take care and see ya at the track!
Old 12-23-2001, 11:17 PM   #49

Cool Blimey! Small world isn't!!!!!! Somebody else knows where no whereland is!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-27-2001, 04:20 AM   #50
Tech Apprentice

I got mine together with little fuss.You do need to pay close attention to the instructions.Did anyone have any problems with the T nuts in the diffs? Both my son and I had one nut that didn't want to thread as easy as the other? (although we eventually got them in)
Also my son's only came with one rear arm set.We called Associated(they were very nice about it and seemed very concerned)and they said they would get one to us in the mail right away.
Over all I was pleased with the assembly.We took mine to the Hobby Store and it was met with alot of ohs and ahhhs....can't wait for spring.
Old 12-27-2001, 01:45 PM   #51
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I had a few problems with my kit. One of my pillow balls doesnt have threads, it has rings. It looks like it is threaded but the machine just cut little rings in it. When I was shimming the gearboxes to get them as free as possible, they started to bind up real bad. The small gear started to rub on the back of the case as I shimmed it away from the ring gear. I'm not sure how criticle it is, but my aluminum shaft fit into the drive cups very tight. I didnt want the shaft to be under any stress while under load, so i cleaned up the ends of it and relieved the cups a little. It isnt completely free but its not bound up either.
Jack Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 03:27 PM   #52

smash did your kit come with a supplement yellow page? AE change the shimming on the pinion on the diff, 2 shims instead of 3 and the 3rd shim, out next to the brg and drive cup, i think thats how it was. I had no trouble with the shaft other than it fits tight in the rear drive cup, sorta snapped in tight. Which I think will be ok because it will loosen up quite quickly. My kit was great, no misfit parts and it was all there. It all went together great except where I put the two speed shoes on backwards and had to take it back apart. Ran it alittle yesterday seems to work real good on foams and the two speed was very slick!!! SERPENTS BEWARE!!!!!!!! NTC3 is here!!!!!!!!!! I think it's going to be a real contender!!!! BB
Old 12-27-2001, 04:49 PM   #53
Tech Apprentice

Jack Smash....sounds like you had it a little tougher than we did. How did you get around the pillow ball problem?My drive shaft was a little tight but no major problem.
bbntc3..sounds great! I think you are the first person to say much about how the car runs...tell me more
Old 12-27-2001, 08:31 PM   #54

I'm not going to say much about it right now, other than it has great potentional ! Cliff really done his homework! My hats off to him and Ae, I think it was well worth the wait! The weather here is really to cold but we had to get it out, Bakers foam setup alittle to stiff for my sons liking, but it did'nt take much setup changing to get it up to his liking. Its seems really planted and has some real good corner speed in and out. I'm going to wait till Toney or somebody else starts talking. I don't think its a good thing letting alot out about the car right until it gets well established, and I think it will be well known! E-mail me and we'll talk setups and stuff. [email protected].
Old 12-27-2001, 09:15 PM   #55
Tech Elite

I need to call Associated tomorrow and see if they want me to send that pillow ball in or if they'll just send me a new one. I usually dont pay too much attention to the instructions on the shimming. I usually play it by feel. My front diff has 0 shims on the gear side. That is why I had to carve out the case. The gear was then hitting it. I recheck shimming after all the parts have broken in. Ive got about five hours of work on my electric TC3 and man is that drivetrain sweet.
Old 12-28-2001, 05:43 AM   #56
Tech Apprentice

Jack Smash..I doubt they would want the part back.They were very nice about the missing parts in my son's car.
Old 12-28-2001, 08:32 AM   #57
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just got all the cool option parts put on it last night....new carbon upper deck, graphite arms, shock towers, and misc parts, pretty blue aluminum disc brake cam, all the optional gearing which, by the way, come in different colors to make finding the right gear SUPER easy.
CompetitionX.com
R Sector / F1 Paint Labs
TPhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 09:14 AM   #58
Tech Elite

Just got off the phone with asspciated and they are gonna send the parts out today. That is one of the reasons why I only use associateds stuff. The other reason is that its the best equipment that can be found.
Old 12-28-2001, 11:09 AM   #59
Tech Apprentice

Tony...lets see some pics
Old 12-28-2001, 02:08 PM   #60
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Dood....I wish I had a digi-cam!!!! I'd have ALL KINDS of pix up...

Sucks....guess I should just bite the bullet and get one, eh???
CompetitionX.com
R Sector / F1 Paint Labs
TPhalen is offline   Reply With Quote